Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The Sheer Terror farewell show was fucking amazing.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 02:48 AM
The Sheer Terror farewell show was fucking amazing.

I had tickets for Sunday night, but still turned up at CBGBs at the advertised "5pm Doors" time to ensure I could get in. Even at that early hour, there was a line down the block and around the corner. I only went with one other friend, another old fat guy, who is a native in the New York hardcore scene. I don't know many people at shows these days (as I am not 16 years old), so it was nice to see a few old faces during the course of the night, including John from Bad Luck 13, Arik from Creep Records, and John from Awkward Thought. Oh, and yes, Peter Criss and Marky Ramone were also in attendance... but I don't know those dudes, I don't hang out with those guys!

Inhuman played a great opening set, despite the fact that few people were paying attention. Inhuman is a dedicated, Brooklyn-based band that has been around for a long time, and I was glad to see them starting things off.

Murphy's Law was, as usual, extremely entertaining. There was no set list - every song was played on a whim or by request. 'Panty Raid', 'Ska Song', 'Cavity Creeps', whatever you wanted to hear, they played. Mike and Vinny from AF were in effect - stage diving, singing along, keeping the drinks flowing - the entire time. Beer was flying everywhere, bottles of whiskey were getting passed around, everyone on stage was gettin smoked up. Hilarious. AND it was Pico's birthday. Good fun.

Quote of the set:
"Hardcore kids don't get old, they just get fat."
- Jimmy G.

When Sheer Terror played their last show at Coney Island High in 1998, Paulie declared that the band would never play again... unless someone came up with ten grand and a keg of Old Foghorn. I don't know if he got his cash and keg for these "wake" and "funeral" shows, but Paul did offer an explanation as to why they were back on stage six years later. Apparently, the first 'last show' never felt right to him since the guys who were in the band at the time weren't exactly 'core' members, and they had never recorded together. He said it was more like they fell apart than they broke up, and this time he wanted to put it to bed the right way. For 2004's farewell shows, the lineup included Chickie, Neuman, and Pat; people more commonly associated with Sheer Terror.

Sheer Terror was probably on stage for about 90 minutes all together, and they played over 20 songs (set list below), including two of my personal favorites, 'Burning Time' and 'Roses'.

Musically, the band sounded pretty tight, especially considering the length of their hiatus, and the fact that they haven't been practicing together very long. Some of the songs sounded exactly as they always have, but others had some slight changes to them, and that was a nice surprise. Paul sounded amazing; his voice was better than ever. This might just be me getting caught up in the moment, but I'd say they've never sounded better.

Not surprisingly, there was also a fair amount of between-song banter. Those who found themselves on the receiving end of Paul's rants Sunday night included Tony Victory, Toby Morse, and, to a slightly lesser degree, all of Europe. "Who else can we piss off tonight?"

When Paul shared with the crowd that one of the best parts about preparing for these shows was that it gave him a chance to reunite with Mark Neuman after eight years of not speaking to one another, people started booing him... to which he responded, "WHAT?! I can't have friends?!"

And perhaps the most surprising moment of the night came when Paul stopped to thank everyone for their support over the years. There were a lot of people yelling back at him, so it took a little while to get through, but in the end, it went something like this... "This goes out to every one of you here tonight, EXCEPT YOU (points out an overzealous heckler in the crowd). I want to thank you all for making the past twenty years of my life..." At which point he chokes up, wipes his eyes, and moves on to next song. There was definitely a brief moment when everyone was just silent. They were probably all just as shocked as I was! I mean, I wouldn't say I'm friends with the guy, but I have shared a drink or two with Mr. Bearer over the years, and I've found him to be a pretty personable fella. So while I'm not surprised by the sentiment, I was shocked to hear it express while he was on stage.

So like I said, Sheer Terror put on an outstanding show Sunday night; the best I've ever seen. Those of you who were there, let us know what you thought. Those of you who weren't missed an important and extremely satisfying event that definitely earned it's place in the history of hardcore. But don't worry, you can buy the CD/DVD combo from Thorp Records in early 2005!

Here's the set list from Sunday:
Here to Stay
I Spoiler
Don't Hate Me Cause I'm Beautiful
Love Song for the Unloved
Tale of Moran
Close My Eyes
Not Waving, Drowning
Twisting and Turning
Burning Time
Rock Bottom on the Kitchen Floor
Broken
Jimmy's High Life
Walls
Roses
Ashes
Just Can't Hate Enough
Three Year Bitch
Owe You Nothing
Boys Don't Cry
Cup Of Joe
You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 02:57 AM
Sheer Terror Video Clips

Here are a few clips I grabbed with my digital camera. They're short and crappy, but I know you'll love 'em. Please note - these are not meant to be representative of the video quality that will be available on the Sheer Terror DVD released by Thorp Records. These are just some quickies for your personal entertainment!

1. Ashes, Ashes
  2. Boys Don't Cry
  3. Owe You Nothing

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 02:59 AM
(bad) Murphy's Law Photos

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 03:05 AM
(even worse) Sheer Terror Photos

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 03:08 AM
Fliers, Poster, and Neuman with Peter Criss & Marky Ramone

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 03:14 AM
All right, that's all I've got.

OK, I have NEVER written that much about anything music-related before in my life. I guess this proves that I can be somewhat of a completist when it comes to some things, and Sheer Terror is among them... mostly because it's so hard to find good info about the band online. Anyway, there ya have it; I hope you enjoy it. I can't fucking wait for that DVD to be done.

Big Ugly

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 01:01 PM

You lucky motherfucker. Words can't describe how much I wanted to be at that show.

Thats Life

Mood: Integrity

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 02:45 PM

i was there saturday..ruled so hard.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 04:33 PM

I can't wiat to see the video. I was very fortunate to see them back in 97 with ONE LIFE CREW and of all bands NAPALM DEATH at the cleveland agora.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 04:38 PM

Carrying the torch though and going to see MURPHYS LAW in cleveland at the GROG SHOP on OCT 31

I can't count how many times I saw them play and hope they continue even into there 50's I swear I'll take my kids when I have them. I think if Murphy's law stop playing Hardcore might end
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 10:42 PM

Thank you Duane, since there was no way I could have possibly made it, you provided the next best thing and I REALLY appreciate it. Now I just have to wait for that DVD!!
tragicfigure

Mood: HARDCORE FAST H

[*] posted on 10-16-2004 at 12:38 PM

BOTH SHOWS WERE AMAZING IT SUCKS THAT THEY'RE GONE BUT I AM GLAD THEY CAME BACK TO DO 2 LAST SHOWS

PAUL LEFT A THANK YOU ON ANOTHER MESSAGE BOARD SHORT AND SWEET :

"A GOOD COUPLE OF HUNDRED OF YOU WATCHED ME BURY 20 YEARS OF MY LIFE THIS PAST WEEKEND,AND I WANT TO THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU FOR BEING THERE.

SURPRISINGLY,YOU WERE ALL PRETTY WELL BEHAVED AND THERE WEREN'T ANY FIGHTS TO MAR SUCH AN OCCASION.YOU SHOULD BE COMMENDED FOR THAT.FOR ONCE,YOU ANIMALS BEHAVED LIKE...WELL,LIKE ANIMALS - BUT YOU DIDN'T RUIN IT FOR EACH OTHER.

AGAIN,I JUST WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING THERE,AND SHOWING THE BAND OFF ON A GREAT NOTE.

IT'S ALL YOURS,NOW...DON'T FUCK IT UP.

I REMAIN,
REV. PAUL BEARER

PS : IF YOU REALLY WANT A LAUGH,GO TO PETERCRISS.NET ...SCROLL DOWN TO THE NEWS...RIGHT HAND SIDE..."

WHEN IS THE DVD COMING OUT ?????

GO CHECK OUT
www.tragicfigure.com
download the mp3\'s on the media page
LilOz
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 02:00 PM

It's a shame I couldn't make it.

Shit happens.

I am looking forward to the dvd coming out.
other

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 08:43 PM

Definitely a life changing event. Flew in from AZ with two other crazy fuckers, and we had an amazing time.
Both nights were great and there weren't any fights.
I met so many oldschool hardcore band members and got to shake hands with Peter Criss and Marky Ramone.

Me with Paul before Saturday night's show in front of CBGB.
FelipeThirteen

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 12:05 AM

Does anyone know what murphys laws set list was? (namely the song jimmy played bass on and the other guy sang)
other

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 03:46 PM

They just played what the crowd asked for, no set list.

The other guy singing was Joe Bruno.

I remember they did Cavity Creeps, Panty Raid, Quest for Herb, Ska Song, and Killer Beers.

I didn't keep notes.. :) I was too busy in front.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 07:30 PM

I was lame and didnt go. Poor form... I know

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by moron
I was lame and didnt go. Poor form... I know

...and knowing is half the battle.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-20-2005 at 08:56 AM

repop
RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 6-21-2005 at 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly
You lucky motherfucker. Words can't describe how much I wanted to be at that show.

Me too! :(-

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 6-21-2005 at 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RomanticViolence
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly

Me too! :(-

I remember using that name!

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-12-2010 at 08:09 PM

last time 10-10-2004

buildup begins.......
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-12-2010 at 10:38 PM

fuck these old threads are killing me....
I was here the 1st time they were posted...
and ain't much changed
god damn

Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 8-13-2010 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
last time 10-10-2004

buildup begins.......

Ahhhh now I get it. I hadn't scrolled this far down after reading it the first time and I thought to myself "wtf, wake & funeral? CBGB? what time warp did I hit?"

Now it all makes sense lol. Inhuman sadly still doesn't get much attention at shows do they?

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 8-13-2010 at 10:29 AM

I will be watching both the Wake and Funeral shows tonight as I pretend I'm at TIH.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top