Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: hellfest cancelled???
forsaken

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 12:21 AM

Fuck I feel sorry for my friends that flew over .... posi numbers gets shut down, hellfest is cancelled.

I dunno what they expected when they put BL13 on the 2004 lineup ... like shit, as if they aren't gonna trash the joint then no one will let us use another venuw in NJ ever again.

Still, anyone with half a clue can tell whats gonna happen when hardcore mixes with big business ... lawsuits, financial trouble in the $millions, they had a similar problem like 4 or 5 years ago when it was only 2000 kids turning up ... what did they expect when zillions more show up.

But overall, bummer. Feel sorry for the organisers who have now wasted their time and money, as well as all the kids who travelled.
tommyquiet

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 12:55 AM

I am so fucking bummed.

we were ready to come out and rock.

I'm coming anyway, as I've never been to NYC....but the rest of NSK is not.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 07:37 AM

After sitting at the bar in Adelaide for 3 hourse waiting for Keep It Up merch from Alexisonfire & none of them showing up, this is fucking hilarious news.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
forsaken

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike
After sitting at the bar in Adelaide for 3 hourse waiting for Keep It Up merch from Alexisonfire & none of them showing up, this is fucking hilarious news.

where did AOF go? crash into a kangeroo?
DeathByForce

Mood: H2O

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defstarsteve
everyone is almost there
and it is chaos
the population of tight pants, bad hair, and makeup wearing kids (is it the late 80's again) in the eastern 3rd of the county is currently doubled, and all the kids flying in from europe...
damn sketch fest

that's the funniest thing i've read in awhile haha thanks for that.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 03:26 PM

With the exception of a few good people involved....who cares??? This thing is a joke now and I for one am happy that this baby has finally been put to bed. For the few good people involved, sorry but you could always try to book up there in some club and get quite the turn out I'm sure.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
With the exception of a few good people involved....who cares??? This thing is a joke now and I for one am happy that this baby has finally been put to bed. For the few good people involved, sorry but you could always try to book up there in some club and get quite the turn out I'm sure.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
ENDERA.x
Posting Freak

Mood: Icepick

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 07:40 PM

"xmikex says about HELLFEST
Body: 3 different posts. it's a lot of words, but it's worth the read

Hellfest sucks and I'm glad it got cancelled. You're kidding yourself if you think of Hellfest as a legit hardcore show. It's a yearly meeting for every trendy nerd around the country that thinks they own their local hardcore scene so they can decide upon what's trendy and cool for the upcoming year. It's a total joke, and brings hardcore one step closer to Hot Topic, corporate sponsored commercial NU METAL. It promotes everything that's wrong with "hardcore" : rock star attitudes, over-commercialization, the idea that in order to get big you need to have the right friends, contacts, penis to latch onto. "OMG I had the BEST time at Hellfest, I rode up with the guys from XbandX, I saw so many trendy new bands that I can't wait to pretend I knew about 2 years ago, I only watched about 40 minutes of actual music out of 3 days but I made sure to two-step in front of the camera every chance I got, the rest of the time I spent giving out hugs and taking group photos with kids I barely know and don't even like but consider my new best friends. OH AND I BOUGHT 47 NEW BELT BUCKLES!!! LOL!!!"

fuck outta here.

give me Cease To Exist at Monk Street, $8, 30 kids, all fun, no sponsors, no scene points, ANY DAY.

and......

Seriously, the only effects the world will ever see from Hellfest getting cancelled are as follows:
- A bunch of good for nothing couch lurking scenebags will realize they should probably get jobs....and still not get one.
- With no one around to kiss her ass, the girl from Most Precious Blood might actually take an honest look at herself and put a fucking paper bag over that bowl of beef stew she calls a face.
- Some worthless asshole in a popular signed band might have to actually treat a girl with some respect to score a blowjob.
- No Warning will NEVER stop being the worst fucking band ever.
- For one brief moment a couple of you might actually realize that hardcore isn't about a bunch of spoiled assholes jerking eachother off at a glorified flea market.
- A cubic ton of brass knuckle belt buckles will be sold for scrap, melted down, and used to make carpet bombs for the military.

HELLFEST SUCKS.

also.....

Take the....

$100 you were gonna spend on a ticket.
$80 you were gonna spend on merch (even though you're too "broke" to pay rent)
$50 you were gonna spend on gas and food
$6.99 you were gonna spend on lip gloss to suck off so and so from XpopularXbandX
$24.99 you were gonna spend on the dvd to watch yourself be scene

AND buy some new clothes, buy a bus pass AND GET A FUCKING JOB"

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 09:57 PM

That last part is so true.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Killthehumans

Mood: simon and garfunkal

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ENDERA.x
"xmikex says about HELLFEST
Body: 3 different posts. it's a lot of words, but it's worth the read

Hellfest sucks and I'm glad it got cancelled. You're kidding yourself if you think of Hellfest as a legit hardcore show. It's a yearly meeting for every trendy nerd around the country that thinks they own their local hardcore scene so they can decide upon what's trendy and cool for the upcoming year. It's a total joke, and brings hardcore one step closer to Hot Topic, corporate sponsored commercial NU METAL. It promotes everything that's wrong with "hardcore" : rock star attitudes, over-commercialization, the idea that in order to get big you need to have the right friends, contacts, penis to latch onto. "OMG I had the BEST time at Hellfest, I rode up with the guys from XbandX, I saw so many trendy new bands that I can't wait to pretend I knew about 2 years ago, I only watched about 40 minutes of actual music out of 3 days but I made sure to two-step in front of the camera every chance I got, the rest of the time I spent giving out hugs and taking group photos with kids I barely know and don't even like but consider my new best friends. OH AND I BOUGHT 47 NEW BELT BUCKLES!!! LOL!!!"

fuck outta here.

give me Cease To Exist at Monk Street, $8, 30 kids, all fun, no sponsors, no scene points, ANY DAY.

and......

Seriously, the only effects the world will ever see from Hellfest getting cancelled are as follows:
- A bunch of good for nothing couch lurking scenebags will realize they should probably get jobs....and still not get one.
- With no one around to kiss her ass, the girl from Most Precious Blood might actually take an honest look at herself and put a fucking paper bag over that bowl of beef stew she calls a face.
- Some worthless asshole in a popular signed band might have to actually treat a girl with some respect to score a blowjob.
- No Warning will NEVER stop being the worst fucking band ever.
- For one brief moment a couple of you might actually realize that hardcore isn't about a bunch of spoiled assholes jerking eachother off at a glorified flea market.
- A cubic ton of brass knuckle belt buckles will be sold for scrap, melted down, and used to make carpet bombs for the military.

HELLFEST SUCKS.

also.....

Take the....

$100 you were gonna spend on a ticket.
$80 you were gonna spend on merch (even though you're too "broke" to pay rent)
$50 you were gonna spend on gas and food
$6.99 you were gonna spend on lip gloss to suck off so and so from XpopularXbandX
$24.99 you were gonna spend on the dvd to watch yourself be scene

AND buy some new clothes, buy a bus pass AND GET A FUCKING JOB"

i salute you sir

just take a look at the papers
your leaders
they\'re killers
they\'re liars
what they do in your
name to make the bodies pile higher
the murders, the terror
they\'ve done it forever
as we sit band and smile
at the script they sell us
but now the victims, they\'re rising
their numbers\'s multiplying
they want their revenge for the years
that they\'ve been dying
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 01:54 AM

I dunno where Alexisonfire was but they weren't at the club between 6 and 9pm even though the show started at 8. I got in touch with Chris from Keep It Up and he forgot to bring the records anyways so he's gonna mail them to me.

Fuck hellfest.

Skarhead & Merauder in November in Ontario. I want to go home now haha. I would take 1 hour set of Skarhead over any other band in the world. I saw them in Buffalo at Warped Tour once and thats it, fucking favourite band ever.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
Boogie Capone

Mood: The Sword

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 05:46 AM

http://hellfest.ytmnd.com/

Make sure your sound is on.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 09:29 AM

When I think of the death of Hellfest a great Bobby Deniro line comes to mind, see if you can peg it. "I want him dead, I want his family dead, I want his house burned to the ground, I want to piss on the ashes!!!!!!" that sums up how I feel and, I think, alot of other people around here feel. What Endera posted is some of the funniest shit I have read in a long time.
Todd

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 12:55 PM

Wow, this is a real shocker. It sounds like it's the same shit year after year with this fest. I feel bad for the people who spent a fortune on plane tickets and hotel rooms but I guess it's time that people realized that this is 'hardcore' and not Ozzfest and while hardcore people may be nice and all, they ain't the sharpest businessmen.

I'm sure Keith from Hellfest remembers hiding from me behind the police after he told me that we had just driven from Philly to Syracuse to play a 15 minute set for free. We've been extolling the virtues of Hellfest since then but apparently noone was listening.

Good riddance to hardcore, to big business, and to those brass beltbuckles you guys keep talking about.

forsaken

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boogie Capone
http://hellfest.ytmnd.com/

Make sure your sound is on.

the background music makes that page soooooooo good. i just sat here laughing the whole time i listened to it.

One thing I do like about this whole catastrophe is the fact that everyone bounced back from it so quick ... just reading all the bulletins from bands on myspace I've seen so many little house shows, little clubs, warehouses and roller skate rink shows booked within a day or two ... thats amazing, it's what this shit is about. everyone getting off their ass' finding a PA and just getting some bands to play.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 10:59 AM

too bad... i grew another creepy beard just for shane and andy to get a laugh at. anyway, here are a few interesting articles...

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15055790
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15070168

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 11:01 AM
and from the NY TIMES...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/19/nyregion/19punk.html

It's a Weekend in Trenton for Stranded Punk Fans
August 19, 2005

By TINA KELLEY and DAVID KOCIENIEWSKI
TRENTON, Aug. 18 - With boots, tattoos, piercings and several hair colors not found in nature, they gathered Thursday in small clumps on downtown sidewalks that are normally filled with state government workers and lawmakers. But if their garb was colorful, their mood was decidedly dark.

Hellfest, a three-day punk music festival scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, had been canceled at the last minute - leaving dozens of fans all dressed up with a long weekend to kill in Trenton and no mosh pits to fling themselves into.

"It was totally devastating," said Carol Frazier, 22, who drove here from Austin, Tex., with three friends to see two of her favorite bands, Madball and Public Enemy, but learned when she arrived on Thursday morning that the Sovereign Bank Arena had called off the event, in part because of a problem with the festival's insurance.

"I spent $140 on tickets, another $200 on gas and $300 on hotels, and they can't even give us a few days notice before they kill the whole show," said Ms. Frazier, whose bleached hair matched the ivory bandanna tied around her neck. "It's just bad news."

Bad but true. It would have been the ninth consecutive year for Hellfest, a dashed milestone that led one would-be fan to call the cancellation "the Enron of hardcore." Say goodbye to the 190 bands scheduled to play on three stages, to the tattoo festival, even to the vegan meals planned by the local Marriott in honor of drug-free, alcohol-free and dairy-free punk rockers.

Almost 6,000 fans - at least 500 of them from abroad and some from as far away as Australia and Japan - had bought tickets to hear bands like Hatebreed and Killswitch Engage. Promoters said they hoped all the ticketholders would receive refunds. During the weekend, a total of 12,000 to 15,000 people were expected to attend, an arena official said.

Some, like Richard Gonzales and Carlos Rosa, from San Juan, were left with nonrefundable hotel charges and the prospect of an enforced stay in the New Jersey capital. "I saved for a year, so what am I going to do?" asked Mr. Gonzales, 20.

Shawn Van Der Poel, president of radiotakeover, a company in Mount Holly, N.J., that was handling marketing and promotions for the festival, said he expected Paper Street Music, the Mount Holly company that runs Hellfest, to file for bankruptcy.

Keith Allen, president of Paper Street, confirmed that that was a possibility.

"Hellfest is over," he said.

Mr. Van Der Poel said he received a fax from arena officials at 6:15 p.m. on Tuesday saying that the show's insurance was inadequate, and that if better coverage was not purchased by 7 a.m. Wednesday, the show would be canceled. "Obviously the venue didn't want it to happen," he said.

But Eric Cuthbertson, the arena's general manager, said arena officials had warned the promoters about problems with the concert in meetings, and by phone and e-mail messages during the past two or three weeks. He said two booking agents and others supplying services for the concert had expressed concerns about their agreements with the promoters. "They were wanting to know from us, were we as nervous as they were," Mr. Cuthbertson said.

While at least one talent broker has complained that a number of performers did not receive deposits promised by the promoters, Mr. Van Der Poel said bands had been paid about $72,000 in deposits, but an additional $20,000 could not be paid because the arena never gave the promoters money from advance ticket sales.

At the Trenton Marriott at Lafayette Yard, fans were clamoring for refunds. "It's total chaos," said Kelly Monaghan, a front-desk employee. Concertgoers who had prepaid for rooms were angry because they could not get their money back.

Some fans and bands were trying to make the best of their time in New Jersey - arranging alternate plans for shows at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville and the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, among other events listed at www.lambgoat.com.

A Whatthehellfest is in the works for Sunday at the Hackettstown Skate Park, where organizers are asking fans to be on their best behavior. The festival's Web site pleads: "If you hit someone when you are dancing please make sure that person is all right. If you get hit, don't attack the person - chances are it wasn't intentional."

At the Marriott, three Dutch fans who had planned their tour of the United States around the concert listened politely as a hotel clerk told them about the new roller coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure Amusement Park.

"I came for a concert and end up with a roller coaster," said one, Joke Suilen, 21. "Is this supposed to be a joke? Because it's not at all funny."

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 04:56 PM

Wow, I can't really feel sorry for someone who calls this the Enron of Hardcore, what a joke. Also, if you had to save for a year to get to this shitty event, you need to get yourself a real job and stop playing punk rocker.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top