Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BAD BRAINS appreciation thread
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 09:20 PM
BAD BRAINS appreciation thread

I'm listening to "The Youth Are Getting Restless" right now for this first time in years. Holy fucking crap, this band was (is?) amazing. I probably listened to them every day when I was in high school.

Did any of you ever get to see them live, as Bad Brains of even Soul Brains? What's you're favorite album?

I saw them for the first time in the late 80s at Revival in Philly, once in the late 90s as Soul Brains at Irving Plaza in NYC, and once somewhere in between. This live album may be my favorite; it's so fucking hyper.

http://www.answers.com/topic/bad-brains
http://30underdc.com/bands/badbrains/index.html

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
SAAAAARS
Posting Freak

Mood: madball

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 09:35 PM

i never saw them, i'm too young. i certainly do appreciate them, though.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 09:40 PM

I may have listened to Pay To Cum from The Youth Are Getting Restless more that any other harcore song in the past... lemme think... 17 years. The song is simply mind boggling.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 10:25 PM

The Bad Brains are SO amazing! When I was in 8th grade, someone let me borrow the yellow ROIR cassette - I bet I played that cassette over 5000 times (it got so worn out, when you would play it, the sound would fluctuate in and out). Funny thing was, I had no idea about their "religion" but I thought even at the time that their was a very very spiritual aspect to their music. It hit me in a way that no other music had ever really hit me. And live? Holy smokes - maybe the most energetic band that I have ever seen. Totally amazing - the energy in the room, if imploded, could have caused the same force as a bomb exploding.

Favorite album - definitely the ROIR album. But I love everything up until Rise with the different singer. The songs just didn't do much for me on that album. God of Love was also pretty crappy. I like the SST "LIVE" album better than the "Youth Are Getting Restless" one. "I Against I" is an amazing album, my second favorite. Quickness has some duds, but overall is really good.

Anyone ever get into any of HR's solo albums? I have one, but I can honestly say I don't think I have ever listened to it.

defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 10:31 PM

one of my favorite bands of all time
one of my old shitty bands (not crime pays) got an opening spot during the sould brains tour in austin....
life is a strange bitch that's about all I have to say about that...
they still rule
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 11:05 PM

been listenin a looong ass time although i've never had the chance to see 'em. think my favorites gotta be rock for light, mostly since it was the first one i heard

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 11:24 PM

I saw the BAD BRAINS with the original FAITH NO MORE singer singing for BADBRAINS in I believe 1990 or 1991. That was when HR was doing solo tours and left BAD BRAINS. Good show at the defunct Damn I forgot the name of that club in LAKEWOOD OHIO. But I finally got to see them all original members as SOULBRAINS about 5 years ago at the AGORA in CLEVELAND. One of the best fucking shows I have seen. They played everything from BANNED IN DC to SOULCRAFT. Just awsome. I was smiling after that show if that says anything. HR was nuts. He brought a chair and sat in it the entire show. Ksising people that got on stage and patting their heads. It was great. I hope they tour again.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 08:21 AM

I never got to see them but Ive heard a bunch of cool stories from a friend in a band that played with them WAY back in the day. I hope to see them eventually!

They are definitly in my top 5 favorite bands.

Go To Top