Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Video Shoot Photos
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

Mood: Quite nice actually.

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 10:42 AM
Video Shoot Photos

Hey Ya'll, my brother posted some pictures of our video shoot. There are some funny one's there.

enjoy: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/mclancey/TNB/
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 11:53 AM

looks like you went all out on this. nice. the smoke machine really sets the tone!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 01:19 PM

all thanks to Much Music in Canada for the money to do it.

It was fucked...there was catering, and catering people. There were 15 crew members, and tonnes of gear. Its gonna look awesome when its finished.:cool:
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 02:00 PM

looks like the beer was flowing freely

Jeff trhe Greek

Mood: The Tossers

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 03:02 PM

Get your fuckin' hair cut Jonny, you hippy, you too Brian, I wasn't even sure if that was you.

Don\'t blame me, I voted for Kodos.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 04:41 PM

what's the connection with MM. why were they footing the bill?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 01:20 AM

In canada theres something called CanCon (canadian content) and if stations don't play canadian videos and songs they get fined. Way back much music decided that it was cheaper for them to set up a grant foundation called VideoFact (foundation to assist canadian talent) than to pay the fines for not playing cancon. It was a great move for them cos it's helped so many bands get there name out there.

There are a few government grants available to musicians in Canada because there just isn't the money here for bands to make. Where we may get 200 bux canadian here when we play, lots of bands in the states are making 500-1000 american every show.
Big Ugly

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 12:06 PM

I was reading an interview with a punk/hardcore band from Winnipeg, I forget who, and they were saying they get some government money for to help them out when touring. It's the gov. way of supporting the arts there.

Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 12:48 PM

here are a few 'gems' from the video day.

Don't forget your make-up boys!

:P

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 12:48 PM

if you read the inside of the Bionic cd they thank some Canadian program or grant... something like that... for helping to make that record possible. Im guessing it's similar to this grant to help make videos. It's kind of interesting. How does one qualify for this money or grant, and can a band be refused? That brings up all sorts of issues relating to possible censorship, etc.

Big Ugly

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moron
if you read the inside of the Bionic cd they thank some Canadian program or grant... something like that... for helping to make that record possible. Im guessing it's similar to this grant to help make videos. It's kind of interesting. How does one qualify for this money or grant, and can a band be refused? That brings up all sorts of issues relating to possible censorship, etc.

When it comes to a record being labeled "CANCON" it has to fit (I believe) 3 of 4 requirements. The author of the lyrics, the writer of the music, the producer, and where it was recorded. I think those are the four categories and at least 3 must be Canadian for the record to fit CANCON. This causes complaints because sometimes Canadians don't fit the requirements. Brian Adams, not that I care, was denied CANCON status for his biggest selling album (the one with the Robin Hood song) because it didn't fill the qualifications. For government grants I'm not sure of the qualifications, but I would assume you probably just have to fit in a certain criteria, like being Canadian, having been together a certain length of time, etc. At the same time some of them are provincial grants and so it varies from one province to the next. The Videofact program was set up to help more Canadian bands to make videos. Muchmusic as well as all Canadian radio stations have to play a minimum of 30% Canadian content. Due to many smaller Canadian bands not having the money to make videos Muchmusic was having trouble filling that 30% without playing the same videos over and over. Stations who don't play the 30% get fined so Muchmusic started this Videofact program to help smaller bands and to help fill their CANCON quota.

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 04:48 PM

well, I was thinking about censorship in terms of denying a particular band the grant because they didnt like the content of the lyrics or something like that. Could a White Power band get a grant from the Canadian government to make a record of course we'll assume that they meet the criteria that you mentioned. Some people could see that as the government supporting racism. If they deny the grant due to content then it could be viewed as censorship or rather unequal treatment. Maybe that's the right word to use. Anyway, that's an extreme example, but I think that should get the point across.

This was something I was thinking about yesterday randomly. I think it's great that there's support out there for artists. What's a country or civilzation without art? And artists usually get the shit end of the stick financially in order to live that lifestyle. The only this is where are the lines drawn for who gets what and why.... other than the stated criteria of course.

Big Ugly

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 12:30 PM

I don't know about the exact criteria but I know the government would not be supporting WP bands. The winnipeg band I mentioned earlier was Comeback Kid. I've never listened to them so I have no idea about their lyrical content, but I know they get some help from their provincial government.

Go To Top