Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The Pogues / Dropkick Murphys touring in December
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 08:45 PM

Ok god dammit. Lay of the Fastway bashing.

This shit has got to stop!!!!
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 01:17 AM

Please note that at no point did I claim one band is better than another. Musical preferences are completely subjective. If you honestly think the Pogues suck, then, no, I can't convince you otherwise.

And even if you do truely dislike the band, I think it's important to respect the history of the other bands you do like. I realize this sounds cruel, and I'm sorry for that, but when I first read your "Screw the Pogues" post, I was reminded of Avril Lavigne's "David Bowie" (pronounced like "Howie") incident. To me, they were both in the "how can you not know your history" vein.

But all of that aside, I have a question... do you honestly dislike the music the Pogues made, or do you dislike them primarially because everybody else always says they're so great? You know what I mean, like the idea of them irritates you, or you dislike them out of spite?

OK, I'm gonna go listen to the Dropkick Murphys "Good Rats" with you-know-who on guest vocals, then I gotta get some work done!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
hollymaconmovies

Mood: Drops of Jupiter

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DAK
Ok god dammit. Lay of the Fastway bashing.

This shit has got to stop!!!!

Shhhh. I know.

hollymaconmovies

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG DUANE
Please note that at no point did I claim one band is better than another. Musical preferences are completely subjective. If you honestly think the Pogues suck, then, no, I can't convince you otherwise.

And even if you do truely dislike the band, I think it's important to respect the history of the other bands you do like. I realize this sounds cruel, and I'm sorry for that, but when I first read your "Screw the Pogues" post, I was reminded of Avril Lavigne's "David Bowie" (pronounced like "Howie") incident. To me, they were both in the "how can you not know your history" vein.

But all of that aside, I have a question... do you honestly dislike the music the Pogues made, or do you dislike them primarially because everybody else always says they're so great? You know what I mean, like the idea of them irritates you, or you dislike them out of spite?

OK, I'm gonna go listen to the Dropkick Murphys "Good Rats" with you-know-who on guest vocals, then I gotta get some work done!

First let me say, what you've said doesn't sound cruel to me at all. I enjoy a good debate.

Second, I never said I thought the Pogues sucked. In fact, what I said was:

Here's where I say I like the Pogues, but like Flogging Molly much more. Do I think the Pogues have a ton of bandwagon fans? Yep. (And I'm not accusing a single one of you of being one of those, I don't know any of you well enough to do so. And frankly, I'd be willing to bet most, if not all of you are not, but trust me, I've met them.)
Quote:
Originally posted by hollymaconmovies
Nope. Sorry. The Pogues had their moment. It's over. Great songs for sure, I'm a fan of sorts. But I just don't get out of the Pogues what I get from Flogging Molly. The Pogues are awesome, but not worthy of a pond jump in my ever so humble opinion.

Here's the respect for the history: acknowledging they paved the way for DKM & FM, and many other bands of Irish influence I thoroughly enjoy.
Quote:
Just because they paved the way for bands like FM & DKM, doesn't mean they're better. FM & DKM took what the Pogues did to the next level, and that's what I love about them.

I know that SM has worked with DKM, and Dave King is a fan of the Pogues. I can go grab quotes of him saying so, if needed to support it. I know. It doesn't change the fact that I think FM have taken what the Pogues have done, and expanded on it, in a tremendous way. The power of their live concerts is incredible. They completely combine celtic music and rock/punk brilliantly, imo. Dave writes powerful lyrics, and I don't give a good god damn who agrees with me.

The 'Screw the Pogues' was a half drunk post where I forget tone doesn't come through. Kinda tongue in cheek. What I was saying is that DKM is worth seeing in their own right. And, no the Pogues aren't worth a pond jump in my opinion. Not at this point anyway.

So in summary:

Pogues are awesome.
I like Flogging Molly better.

hollymaconmovies

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 01:51 AM

Sorry for sounding like a bitch. I tend to come acrossed that way in text. I can't help it.

sinister

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 07:03 PM

This is nuts... there's sooo many amazing shows in the US with incredible lineups that I'd love to see, and yet this Pogues + DKM thing you guys are really into is playing 2 nights in my city and I'm not interested.

I've seen DKM a couple of times and found them kinda boring, plus here in Glasgow they bring out the worse elements of religious bigotry/fake irish nationalism bullshit.

But hey, if any of you guys are coming over for a few of the UK shows and end up in Glasgow you'd be welcome to stay at my place and save a few bucks on hotels at least. :)
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 08:17 PM

i want to see the pogues because i never got the chance to when i was younger (shane left the band in '92) and because god knows they'll never tour over here again. i've gotten to see shane play every time he's come to the US over the past 10 years, but it's been while now since he's toured. the last time i saw him was summer of '03 at this small-ass bar in queens, playing with Lancaster County Prison.
http://thorprecords.com/boards/viewthread.php?tid=409#pid325...

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
sinister

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 08:50 PM

I just noticed the tickets are about $50 (?26 + booking fee), so that would make it my 2nd most expensive show ever, after Rush. But then Rush played for 3.5 hours and were totally awesome. :)
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-27-2005 at 10:50 PM

holly - i think you need to take your passion for Flogging Molly to (the horrible pit of dispair known as) lambgoat and defend the band. they're taking quite a keyboard lashing over there!
http://lambgoat.com/mb/thread.aspx?id=456633

but then hurry back, cause that's not any place you want to spend too much time!

hollymaconmovies

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 01:28 AM

Yah know, when I saw this thread had resurfaced, I just knew my name would be in the post. Jesus H. Christ....Lambgoat. I have no idea what I'm up against, but I get the feeling I'm not going to fair well. But I'll be damned if I'll give up without a fight...See yah, ladies and gents...

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 07:18 AM

anyways....all arguments aside...i would just love to see these 2 bands together in philadelphia but i am sure there is a cheese steaks chance in hell that that will happen, and if it does it will be at the Electric Factory. I fuckin loathe the electric factory.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Yah know, when I saw this thread had resurfaced, I just knew my name would be in the post. Jesus H. Christ....Lambgoat. I have no idea what I'm up against, but I get the feeling I'm not going to fair well. But I'll be damned if I'll give up without a fight...See yah, ladies and gents...

well, naturally i though of you when i read the thread, and really only posted it as a little joke. but damn, i didn't expect you to head over there and represent like that! did you register just to reply to that thread? that's so awesome.

hollymaconmovies

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG DUANE
Quote:

well, naturally i though of you when i read the thread, and really only posted it as a little joke. but damn, i didn't expect you to head over there and represent like that! did you register just to reply to that thread? that's so awesome.

I figured you were joking, but I couldn't resist. And yes, I registered just to reply to that thread. :)

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 10:00 AM

from what i've seen on that site, discussions and debates don't seem to occur like they do here, so i'd be surprised if anyone even acknowledged your post with more than a goofy comment.

Terror Aesthetic

Mood: bright eyes felching weakertha

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 04:03 PM

fuck the beatles. fuck the stones. heil to shane and his teeth!!!!!!!!!!!

he\'s dead jim - that dumb fucking show
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top