Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: digital camera recomendations ?
thedog
Posting Freak

Mood: Deals Gone Bad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 02:06 AM
digital camera recomendations ?

i am lookin to get a new camera.
i think this may have been discussed before but,
does anyone have some input or suggestions?

looking to get a compact, 5 - 7 mega pixel camera.

some i have been lookin at....
- casio exilim S500
- casio exilim Z57
- panasonic luminix LZ2
- canon powershot SD400 , SD450, SD 500
- nikon coolpix S1
- kodak easy share V530, V550

\"thank you very little\"
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 09:57 AM

OK, before I get started here, please understand that I am a total BITCH about spending money on technology. I may be a huge nerd, but I hate getting ripped off, and lots of consumer electronics companies are putting out crap products.

Before I bought my digital camera back in November '02, I read a ton of professional and user reviews (check out http://www.dcresource.com, http://www.dcviews.com and http://www.cnet.com) and had everyone I knew with a digital camera send me sample photos from their camera. Once you know which cameras include the features you're looking for, looking at sample photos from independent reviewers is one of the best ways to go. These days, even the most basic point and shoot models comes with enough resolution to print great 8x10s, so that's not really an issue any more. But keep an eye on things like white balance (how accurate are the colors) and red eye reduction.

I decided to go with the Canon S230 because it was a compact camera with a large resolution (for the time) that had limited jpg artifacting, and recorded decent video. I absolutely love that camera, and have taken over 5000 photos with it to date.

So, obviously, I'd recommend the PowerShot line (I've also used 450, which is like half the size of my camera). But I've also used and really liked the results from some of the Sony cameras, so I'd suggest looking into them as well.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 10:51 AM

I just got my wife an upgraded version of her Kodak. We got the Kodak Z740 @ www.buydig.com.

This camera is very versitle and takes awesome pictures. There are some easy settings to use for a variety of shots. I highly recomend it. The draw back was that we needed to order a $10 part from Kodak for our Printer Dock. But that's not a big deal.
sinister

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 12:05 PM

If you wanna take pics or movies at gigs then the best compact camera around for that right now is the Fuji F10.

I was looking for something small that would fit in my pocket, take 640x480 30fps movies, work well in low light conditions and last for a long time on 1 battery... and the F10 was the only camera I found which fit all those requirements. No other compact offers ISO 1600 low light sensitivity, which lets you take natural looking, low light pics without using the flash. It's 6.3 Mpixel BTW.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 12:12 PM

I have one similar to Duane's, but newer and maybe a little bigger. I like it, but I havent used it a ton yet. Cannon seems to make good cameras though. My dad bought two and raves out them. It's not a professional camera, but it's good enough for everyday stuff.
hollymaconmovies

Mood: Drops of Jupiter

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 12:50 PM

I have a sony digital camera that died suddenly after about 13 months of average use (one of three Sony products that died in under two years of use). I also found the sony to not be very user friendly. It had a lot of options, but figuring out how to use them wasn't worth my time or effort. It did take lovely photos, though.

For the cost of fixing it, I could by another one. So I did. I bought a Kodak easy share. Very user friendly, it takes good pictures. Well, I should say it did take good pictures. I smashed it in a fit of rage. Long story, but it wasn't the camera's doing. I'd buy another kodak.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 05:16 PM

I am looking at one to buy this weekend too. Nice thread. ON TO BESTBUY I GO!
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 05:19 PM

i love encouraging friends to spend large amounts of money. spend, people, spend! and report back!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 05:22 PM

One question. Is having the port to print pictures worth it? And do they cost extra? I am worried that they will not produce real good pics if you use that rather than going to the store to have it printed professionally?
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 05:24 PM

Not sure of the guys name but I noticed some brands have a guys name on the lense. Is that worth it? Basically i want to get a good resolution and be able to focus from a distance. Who excels in this area? NIKON? CANNON? KODAK?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 05:30 PM

canon cameras come with a carl zeiss lense. is that who you're thinking of? most companies use a different, suposedly higher quality, lense on their non-low end cameras. hard to say how much of a difference it makes. it's probably just marketing, but then again, that's what zeiss does - make lenses.
http://www.zeiss.com

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 05:53 PM

Thats it. Thats the name. I'll check the link. Thanks Duane!
thedog
Posting Freak

Mood: Deals Gone Bad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
I am looking at one to buy this weekend too. Nice thread. ON TO BESTBUY I GO!

clevo,
i have been comparing prices at bestbuy and circuit city
and circuit city is cheaper by a little bit and they have a better selection.

\"thank you very little\"
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 10:24 AM

I have a circuit city down the street I will check them out too. I noticd this seriously when I bought my video camera from BESTBUY. I used a ad from circuit city so BEST BUY would lower the price. I ahve a best buy card and like the 12 months sac. Will check both. thans DOG!;)

Go To Top