Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: filthy rich American to space
brooklyn

Mood: HC & streetpunkrock

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 03:30 AM
filthy rich American to space

Did ya hear/see /read the story of this American multi-billionair paying his own trip to space for mega-$?

What do a think of such a decadence, moneywasting madness? Yes, people can do what they want with their cash, but this is repulsive and arrogant. Why not spending in on something more lasting and more constructive? There are plenty of good-hearted organisations and causes in need of funds. There are plenty of people trying to survive on breadcrumbs in a society of too much.

I have nothing against rich people and rich people living seriously well, but decadence and in-your-face ridiculous wasting $ is just a step too much.

Maybe this space tourist should have a listen to Ramallah and wake up, or have a trip in downtown Baltimore, or meet parents/wives/husbands of mutilated US/UK soldiers and destroyed families in Iraq, maybe this rich dude can go down to Africa and see what poverty means and how littele money can change lots.

Kill a celebrity!

T.C.O.B.
sinister

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 01:00 PM

I don't have a problem with it... if folk with that much money didn't have frivolous things like trips into space or million dollar cars/yachts etc. to spend their money on it would just sit in the bank doing nothing.

Having pointless shit like this to spend it on does 2 good things... firstly, it gives them something to continue working for, motivates them to keep their businesses open and working on new ideas, so they can keep spending money on super-expensive luxury stuff like this, rather than just retiring to an island in the sun and putting their feet up for the rest of their lives.

Second, it supports the workers in the space/car/yacht industries and keeps them in a job.

Also, when someone spends money like that the government ends up with extra $$$ in tax... and you never know, they might even spend a little of it on stuff we all need.

Well, that's how I see it... if you accept that there should be no limit on what people can earn then having all manner of stupidly expensive shit for them to spend it on is a good idea.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 02:08 PM

even if i were filthy rich, i dont think id try and play astronaut
hollymaconmovies

Mood: Drops of Jupiter

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 02:39 AM

If I had the money, I'd do it.

Money alone won't change social conditions. In fact, you can change social conditions without a fucking dime.

FeedTheKidz

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 03:00 AM

Holly is being too optimistic....

No life\'s worth livin\' at slave wages/Take a stand.
hollymaconmovies

Mood: Drops of Jupiter

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 03:46 AM

Think globally, act locally. It works. Try it.

And by the way, welcome...ahahaha. I'm so amazed and pleased.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 08:17 AM

this isn't too far off from the debate about the space program we had a while back. who knows, tourist dollars may very well fund a significant portion of the program in the future!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 10:45 AM

They've been trying to sell the privatization of space exploration for a long time, the problem is we have no laws yet governing rights and ownership, and when you privatize something everyone wants a piece of the pie. You know you can actually own a star right now, you can even name it for a price. They know damn well we wont live long enough to reach that star and claim it as our own.what a sham!!!!!!!:) Space exploration is the next step in the evolution of man, we need to get over our petty bullshit on earth and move on to bigger and better things.

Go To Top