Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Clash Reunion?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 06:33 PM
Clash Reunion?

http://www.punkoiuk.co.uk/news/details.asp?newID=820

Nearly 23 years since the release of the original group's swan song, Combat Rock, and a scant two years since the death of figurehead Joe Strummer, The Clash are reforming for another go at world domination. When guitarist Mick Jones walked away in late 1982, he knew it wasn't forever.

" I was talking to Paul just the other day, and we were saying how The Clash really defined us as people, not to just the world, but to ourselves as well. I thought we had proven all we had to prove, but when you look at how Joe really kept pushing that rock up the hill, it was really na?ve for us to think we could ever stop."

Unofficially dubbed the Lightning Strikes (Not Once But Twice) Tour, The Clash will reform with Rancid front man Tim Armstrong for a series of dates through the United States, Canada, and concluding in the United Kingdom. No details as to when and where it will start, though Jones hinted, "I'd really like to visit New York City again."

Bay area punkers Rancid have been Clash fans for years, and have often seemed to embody the sound and spirit of The Clash. Armstrong's Hellcat label has included Strummer's Mescaleros on many of its budget priced compilations, though Armstrong is reticent to dub Rancid a "Clash tribute".

" There was one historical period when the Clash happened," quipped Armstrong, "and another where Green Day, Rancid, and the Offspring happened. And the people who think we're just copying the old stuff are the guys driving fuckin' BMWs with anarchy stickers on the bumpers."

Armstrong admits, though, that it is a "deep honor" to front the reformed Clash, and pledges to sport Strummer's classic mohawk when the tour gets underway.

"These are the songs I grew up with, and I plan to be as faithful to the spirit of my friend Joe as I can. I think Clash fans will be surprised. We rehearsed "London Calling" the other day, and it was f**cking amazing."

While no details have been released, Mick Jones believes the tour should commence sometime around Christmas 2005, wrapping up in the U.K. by next Spring. No comment was made about any future recording. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it", Jones cryptically advised.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 06:39 PM

As I was told when I first heard this news....this is a sign of the end times. Fuck Armstrong, he has no right to even sing Joe Strummer's songs in the shower, let alone try to fill his shoes in The Clash.

I recently saw that video of Kate Moss snorting coke and guess who was right there with her, sucking that shit up his nose? Mick Jones. I think I now understand why he thinks bringin' Tim Armstrong on board is OK. Fuck this shit.

Veritas odium parit
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 07:14 PM

actually, ill go
not sure why really
but id like to see this

you come at the king....you best not miss
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 07:26 PM

I dunno, this is like reuniting The Misfits with some limpdick whiny cunt standing in for Glenn. Oh wait, they did that and it sucked. Ok, it's like reuniting Bad Brains without HR. Oh yeah, they did that and it sucked. Y'know, I think it would probably be a million times better if they had just gotten some no name guy who could sing and play a bit like Strummer. Throwing Armstrong in there is fucked up.

Veritas odium parit
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 11:13 PM

I really think that's gotta be a sham. I'd be shocked if Tim Armstrong would consider himself worthy to sit in. I mean, I don't know the dude but I've met him a few times and he was probably the most humble person I've ever met. I mean.... I was kissing his ass hardcore (because I'm a super Rancid fan) and he was acting like I was the first person to ever claim to be his fan. If this rumor is true then I'll give everyone on this board a handy..... I'm not sure enough to bet a mouthy but I'm close.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 11:55 PM

I agree with this....Fuck allt hese bands and members replacing them with someone else and trying to emulate what once was.

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
I dunno, this is like reuniting The Misfits with some limpdick whiny cunt standing in for Glenn. Oh wait, they did that and it sucked. Ok, it's like reuniting Bad Brains without HR. Oh yeah, they did that and it sucked. Y'know, I think it would probably be a million times better if they had just gotten some no name guy who could sing and play a bit like Strummer. Throwing Armstrong in there is fucked up.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
As I was told when I first heard this news....this is a sign of the end times. Fuck Armstrong, he has no right to even sing Joe Strummer's songs in the shower, let alone try to fill his shoes in The Clash.

I recently saw that video of Kate Moss snorting coke and guess who was right there with her, sucking that shit up his nose? Mick Jones. I think I now understand why he thinks bringin' Tim Armstrong on board is OK. Fuck this shit.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
I really think that's gotta be a sham. I'd be shocked if Tim Armstrong would consider himself worthy to sit in. I mean, I don't know the dude but I've met him a few times and he was probably the most humble person I've ever met. I mean.... I was kissing his ass hardcore (because I'm a super Rancid fan) and he was acting like I was the first person to ever claim to be his fan. If this rumor is true then I'll give everyone on this board a handy..... I'm not sure enough to bet a mouthy but I'm close.
Really? I had the complete opposite experience. I was in a group tha put on a show for them in Austin on their first tour and he acted like a full on rock star asshole from the moment they pulled up to the moment they left. I went to see a show they played with the Lunachicks a year or so later and the only one of 'em who would even talk to us was Matt and then they pulled the bulshit move of getting all their gear set up on stage and then going backstage to change clothes and make everybody wait an hour before they would go on. Lunachicks absolutely owned that show, blew the shit outta Rancid, that's for sure.

Veritas odium parit
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 11:39 AM

will they do guns of brixton?
thats all i care about

you come at the king....you best not miss
Lucabrasi
Posting Freak

Mood: f-minus

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 06:26 PM

ive seen this posted on every punk/hardcore board i visit and from people who know armstrong or know friends of his mostly say this isnt gonna happen.
Killthehumans

Mood: simon and garfunkal

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 09:29 PM

i dont like the clash. A freind of mine loves them, i for some reason dont like them at all.

just take a look at the papers
your leaders
they\'re killers
they\'re liars
what they do in your
name to make the bodies pile higher
the murders, the terror
they\'ve done it forever
as we sit band and smile
at the script they sell us
but now the victims, they\'re rising
their numbers\'s multiplying
they want their revenge for the years
that they\'ve been dying
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

Mood: pissed off

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG DUANE
http://www.punkoiuk.co.uk/news/details.asp?newID=820

Nearly 23 years since the release of the original group's swan song, Combat Rock, and a scant two years since the death of figurehead Joe Strummer, The Clash are reforming for another go at world domination. When guitarist Mick Jones walked away in late 1982, he knew it wasn't forever.

" I was talking to Paul just the other day, and we were saying how The Clash really defined us as people, not to just the world, but to ourselves as well. I thought we had proven all we had to prove, but when you look at how Joe really kept pushing that rock up the hill, it was really na?ve for us to think we could ever stop."

Unofficially dubbed the Lightning Strikes (Not Once But Twice) Tour, The Clash will reform with Rancid front man Tim Armstrong for a series of dates through the United States, Canada, and concluding in the United Kingdom. No details as to when and where it will start, though Jones hinted, "I'd really like to visit New York City again."

Bay area punkers Rancid have been Clash fans for years, and have often seemed to embody the sound and spirit of The Clash. Armstrong's Hellcat label has included Strummer's Mescaleros on many of its budget priced compilations, though Armstrong is reticent to dub Rancid a "Clash tribute".

" There was one historical period when the Clash happened," quipped Armstrong, "and another where Green Day, Rancid, and the Offspring happened. And the people who think we're just copying the old stuff are the guys driving fuckin' BMWs with anarchy stickers on the bumpers."

Armstrong admits, though, that it is a "deep honor" to front the reformed Clash, and pledges to sport Strummer's classic mohawk when the tour gets underway.

"These are the songs I grew up with, and I plan to be as faithful to the spirit of my friend Joe as I can. I think Clash fans will be surprised. We rehearsed "London Calling" the other day, and it was f**cking amazing."

While no details have been released, Mick Jones believes the tour should commence sometime around Christmas 2005, wrapping up in the U.K. by next Spring. No comment was made about any future recording. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it", Jones cryptically advised.

I will say this as nicely as possible, because I love Tim Armstrong and think he'd be good for a Clash tribute show or something. However, of this news....

HOLY FUCKING GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go To Top