Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: saw the UK Subs last night at CBGBs
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 11:41 AM
saw the UK Subs last night at CBGBs

I was hanging out with a friend and a guy who I talk with online who happened to be in town on business. I showed him a few of the sites, drank a few pints and then wandered over to CBs so that he could have a look inside. He'd never seen it before. Anyway... we get there and there are all sorts of punks pouring out of the place, decked out in their mohawks and tight jeans and shit. It looked interesting so we stayed and watched.

The singer came out and he had to have been pushing 60. He looked so awkward standing up there, but once the music started it was awesome. The guitarist was totally fucking drunk and kept on fucking up, and they had a drummer who looked like he was 18. I cant imagine what it's like to tour with a bunch of guys who are more than twice your age.

Anyway... I saw my first semi-circle pit, lots of dancing old style (I assume it was the old style anyway) and no fighting invisible ninjas. It was such a great time. It was a totally unexpected pleasure, and those dudes can rock for being as old as they are.

Now Im tired as fuck, watching the clock just waiting for 5:00. Like my step-father always said "You play, you pay".

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 08:44 PM

Fuck yeah, UK Subs are great. I'm pretty sure that Charlie Harper actually is 60, but I can't remember where I read that and it could have even been a year or two ago anyway. Glad you enjoyed the show Moron, so many hc kids turn their noses up at punk nowadays without even really checking it out.
Big Ugly

[*] posted on 10-30-2004 at 01:33 PM

Definately a great band.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-30-2004 at 06:02 PM

Charlie Harper

Born: 25th May 1944

Charlie Harper was up and running all through the sixties and seventies with bands and busking in Leicester Square and Picadilly. Around the age of 20, Charlie formed his first band called Charlie Harper's Free Press Band, named after a Muddy Waters track, named Albert Harper's Free Press. The Band split and Charlie formed a new band simply called - Charlie Harper Band as well as being in a group called Bandana. To subsidise his playing he opened a hairdressers shop in Tooting High Street, London.

He then formed The Marauders, in the 1970's, this band eventually merged into the UK Subs. He has also continued to gig with various bands and released several solo records from the 1980's. Charlie also performed with The Urban Dogs in the 1980's and 90's.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
nyhcmom

Mood: Sick of it All

[*] posted on 10-30-2004 at 10:07 PM

Wow ! I don't feel so old now. ;)

Go To Top