Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PARENTS: How much sleep do your kids get?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 11:51 PM
PARENTS: How much sleep do your kids get?

I don't know if we're ready for an actual 'HC Parents' forum and suggested recently, but there have been a number of interesting articles recently, so I thought I'd post a few up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051019/hl_nm/children_sleep_dc

Children don't sleep enough: survey

Wed Oct 19,11:53 AM ET

A survey being released on Wednesday shows what millions of groggy parents already know: Many babies and toddlers do not get enough sleep.

Twenty-six percent of parents of children up to four years old said in a recent survey that their child gets less than enough sleep. The survey was commissioned by Pampers and conducted with the nonprofit National Sleep Foundation (NSF).

The older the child, the less likely he or she is to sleep 12 hours to 15 hours per day, the recommended minimum from the NSF and pediatric sleep experts, Pampers said.

Forty percent of parents and caregivers said that their child has a problem each or almost every day or night, including having a hard time falling asleep, waking up in the middle of the night or getting up too early in the morning.

The child's sleep patterns, of course, may lead to less sleep for parents. Of those surveyed, 71 percent said they get less sleep than they feel they need.

The results come from telephone interviews with a random sample of 1,003 parents or primary caregivers of children under four years old. The margin of error on the survey, conducted in September and October, is plus or minus 3.1 percent.

Details of the survey and tips for parents are will be released at an event in New York on Wednesday.

Pampers, the diaper and baby care brand, is part of Cincinnati-based Procter & Gamble Co.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 05:42 AM

my son is 8 and will sleep over 9 hours straight on the weekends
RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 07:52 AM

During school nights i try to put my kids in bed by 8:30. :)

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 08:02 AM

and by that age, naps are pretty much out of the question, huh? is that considered enough for a kid that age?

my daughter is 18 months, and she usually sleeps 10 or 11 hours every night, uninterrupted. then during the day, she usually takes two naps, about 90 minutes each.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 08:04 AM

my daughter is 3 months and is extremely fussy. She will sleep off and on, but fights it every inch of the way. It seems like if she isnt eating or sleeping, she's crying, does this seem normal? We took her to the doctor and they said it may be colic, I dont know but it's definitely wearing my wife and I out:(
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 08:20 AM

My daughter is five and she sleeps about 10-12 hours a night. She's like me, she could sleep through Armageddon.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
my daughter is 3 months and is extremely fussy. She will sleep off and on, but fights it every inch of the way. It seems like if she isnt eating or sleeping, she's crying, does this seem normal? We took her to the doctor and they said it may be colic, I dont know but it's definitely wearing my wife and I out:(

You might wanna get you daughter a teething ring. Some babies start teething early which can make them uncomfortable... or she could just be "Fighting sleep" like you said, my son always did.

I hope for you & your wifes sake thats is not colic. If it is though.. be sure that you and your wife "take turns" getting away from the crying so you don't get too stressed out.

Edited to say: If you are feeding your baby formula you might wanna check with you doctor to make sure she's not having trouble digesting the formula.

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
Terror Aesthetic

Mood: bright eyes felching weakertha

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 09:03 AM

ill look for an article to post here but ive been hearing bad things about formula. i recently read that it can set them up for shit like diabetes later in life and its best to just breastfeed until the kids like 2 and a 1/2. i dont know just something i read.

he\'s dead jim - that dumb fucking show
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman

we had a real mixed bag with our daughter's infancy. she had no problem sleeping and literally NEVER cried (seriously, she was 1 before she figured out how to cry), but she was so small when we brought her home, that she needed to be fed every two hours. so basically, we'd spend an hour making the bottle, delivering the bottle, then cleaning up, and we'd have an hour break before we started it all over again. this, coupled with three weigh-ins at the pediatrician every week just to make sure she wasn't loosing weight.

frankly, i'd take the constant feeding over crying any day.

defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 09:49 AM

my son naps about 2 hours in the afternoon, then sleeps from 10 till about 8
my daughter would sleep forever if we let her, she just loves to sleep....
weird but when we make her get up for school shes fine with it, goes to be at 10 gets up at 7 no problems whatsoever
but
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 11:02 AM

Thanks for the advice RV, we have the Nestle supreme with partially broken protiens or whatever, so it's the best we can get. My wife breast feeds as well, we supplement with the formula. I will try the teething ring, and we do try to take turns with the crying, it does get crazy sometimes, but we are hanging in there and tell ourselves it will get better. When she's content though we forget all about the stressfull stuff.
RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terror Aesthetic
its best to just breastfeed until the kids like 2 and a 1/2. i dont know just something i read.

I breast fed my kids till there were like 6 months old (when teeth started coming in) then i switched them to formula. I think 2 1/2 years for breast feeding is too much.. but who am i to say.. :)

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 12:17 PM

my neice seems to fuss alot. She always wants someone near her or she wants to be held. If not then she's crying. I dont know how my sister and brother in law do it. I was there for one night once while my sister was sick and I was going crazy. After a while though I didnt hear her screaming anymore. I just slept right through it and let Mrs. Moron take care of the baby.

Im gonna be a bad father/husband. :(
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 01:14 PM

my son is almost 2 and is still breastfed
and is as healthy as an ox
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 02:24 PM

is it just me, or is the topic of 'how long do you breast feed' a HUGE hot button for people? seems like everyone's got an opinion as to how long a kid should get breast milk, and more often than not, they're experts on the topic. whatever works for you and your family, i say.

defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 04:21 PM

it's the same as potty training
the child wil llet you know when it's the right time
no 2 children develop in the same ways
GOLD GRILL
*ASSHOLE*

Mood: The Shins

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 11:03 PM

my daughter is 11 months old and sleeps right around 12 hours a night and will only wake up if her diaper is full. She's started getting kind of fussy during the days though, and doesn't take regular naps like she used.

I just can\'t seem to STAND STILL
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 11:54 PM

having a baby that sleeps through the night is the shit.

gabe, try putting bigger diapers on her at night. we started using fives at night when our girl still fit into twos. just make sure it's on tight enough that it won't leak, and you'll get the extra absorption of the bigger diaper.

it seems like as soon as you think you've got them figured out, they go and change up on ya. the same day our girl learned to crawl, she also went from five naps a day to two, and finally started crying (when i tried to put her down for those now extra three naps!). i'm not shitting you. she musta gotten it in her head that she could finally do something for herself (the crawling), and decided to apply it to a few other things as well.

GOLD GRILL
*ASSHOLE*

Mood: The Shins

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 10:57 PM

The big diapers sounds like a cool trick, I'm going to try that. Thanks man.

I just can\'t seem to STAND STILL
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 10-23-2005 at 08:43 PM

My wife gets less sleep but I probably get about 4 hours on and off a night. Little Jake is into sleeping int he day and staying up all night.
Dan of Pain

Mood: send more paramedics

[*] posted on 10-24-2005 at 04:26 PM

i wouldnt have a clue. our 7 and 12 year old are out dealing pills and nicking cars most of the night.

fuck it up.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 10-24-2005 at 11:46 PM

My stepson goes to bed at 8 and passes out pretty much right away every night and he's awake by 6:30-7:00 on most days, mostly 6:30 these days cuz the sun is coming up earlier now summer is near here but daylight savings at the end of the month should fix that for a while.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM

Go To Top