Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any Reverend fans......Texas boys?
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 08:04 AM
Any Reverend fans......Texas boys?

So, the Rev (Reverend Horton Heat) is coming in to town in December and I am pretty excited. I'm taking my brother in law who is backwoods North Carolina so this is right up his alley. Just wanted to know if there were any on here who appreciated his tunes.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 08:18 AM

i see him every time he is in philly.
what an entertainer
love that guy
although i prefer his older stuff like liquor in the front/ full custom gospel...
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
i see him every time he is in halifax
what an entertainer
love that guy
although i prefer his older stuff like smoke 'em if you got em

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 09:46 AM

You get the house............I get the galaxy 500.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 02:57 PM

you're the kinda girl i'd like to eat

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 03:00 PM

what in the hell did you do with my toothbrush???
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 07:38 PM

Not a fan. I don't dislike them, just not my cup of tea.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 07:44 PM

They rule. First time i saw them was like 10 years ago when they opened for White Zombie. Great live band. Seen them a few times.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 09:52 PM

Probably no surprise here since all I seem to post lately is how much I hate all the bands everybody else loves, but I fucking LOATHE this band and especially that asshole "Reverend" himself. I love good Rockabilly and Pschobilly (still can't understand how anybody could call their music Psycho, but anyway...), but this shit is so cliche and so mind-numbingly predictable that it drives me absolutely nuts. It sounds like frat boys who wanna be "wild and crazy" to me, I admit they can play the music, but it's just so far from anything that qualifies as good to me that I get angry anytime it comes on.

Veritas odium parit
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 10:33 PM

You are one hard to please mutha fucka dude, The Rev is about as genuine as it gets, they even have some miles under their belts. Each to their own though.
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 10:37 PM

Tire Iron, what, in your opinion, is considered good rock / psychobilly? Dont name the givens either, challenge me, your tasted are pretty refined so I want to be exposed to something I havent heard before. I do agree with you that the Rev is not psychobilly in any way shape or form, just becasue he says it in a song, hell Johnny cash created the word, and he sure as hell wouldnt be "defined" as psychobilly. Although, anyone who likes PsychoB tends to dig Cash as well, but, we should all dig Cash.
KyleOz
* CHOPS OF DOOM *

Mood: Social Distortion

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 10:49 PM

I actually like Holy Roller

One Time For Me and Big Sky are the tracks I enjoy the most.

Never heard anything else of theirs.

angus yeoman: what are cats supposed to do? distract you from the fact that you\'re distracted by everything else?

http://www.myspace.com/kyleoz
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 11:10 PM

True, anyone and everyone needs a bit of Cash in their life. As for what I consider good Rockabilly? I prefer the original stuff, Jerry Lee, Johnny Cash (as mentioned) Cochran, Vincent and so forth. As for Psycho, I'd say Meteors, Demented Are Go, Mad Sin, and such. I also like a lot of bands that carry a lot of Rockabilly influence and might be classified as Psycho by some but that I would consider bands just playin' what they like while showin' their influences on their sleeves. Bands like The Cramps, The Staggers (from Dallas, probably the only one so far that meets your challenge up there, since they aren't a big name. Check 'em out on Haunted Town Records if you haven't already heard 'em), Kings Of Nuthin' and more.

I know that Horton Heat's been around for quite a while and I know that he's done quite well for himself and I'm not one of those who doesn't like him now that the whole world knows all about him. I feel just the same about him as I did when I first heard him years ago and I think I outlined that pretty clearly up above. As you said, I'm a hard to please moterfucker and I won't deny it, fuck, I'm proud of it. I guess I step on toes a lot when I start talkin' about music, but I really see no sense in playin' nice and bitin' my tongue just so nobody gets butthurt (and no,I'm not sayin' I think you're reactin' that way at all). I'd much rather be honest and up front about the things I care about (such as music) than make kissy-face with everybody. I don't claim to know as much about Rockabilly and Psychobilly as people who list that as their most favorite form of music as I got into it well after I grew out of my overly obsessive years when I got into Punk and Hard Core. I like Rockabilly and Psychobilly quite a bit and I know what I like and why I like it (as well as what I don't like and why), but I can't list dozens of obscure bands to impress the die-hards or tell anybody the intricacies and trivial details of each and every band. I'm not gonna defend my choices and I don't expect anybody else to either, but I'm also not gonna keep my mouth shut when bands I think are worthless get praise.

As for you specifically, I get the impression that this is one of the areas you know your shit inside and out and I doubt I can turn you onto anything you haven't already heard, but if you haven't checked out The Staggers (as I said, I think they're probably the only band that has a big Rockabilly/Psychobilly influence that I know much about that not everybody else knows of already), I highly recommend you do so. Again, I'm not trying to say you're acting offended or anything ucalled for, I'm mostly speaking in generalities here.

Veritas odium parit
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 11:27 PM

For anybody interested, check out The Staggers at myspace.

Veritas odium parit
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 11-16-2005 at 07:54 AM

You are correct sir............I have not heard of the Staggers, but plan to look into them in just a couple of miniutes, and I appreciate your response, it's refreshing to find someone who thinks sensibly while keeping their integrity about them, thats what I like most about this board, not alot of bullshit that I hear about from other places like it on the internet. It did surprise me about the Rev though, being that your from Texas. I love other bands on Haunted Town records and it's the only place I know of where you can still buy a Bruisers shirt. Brassknuckle Boys are my favorite on the label, but as I said above, I will check out the Staggers and let you know what I think. As for the part specifically aimed at me, I really don't know too much I imagine compared to kids who have time to dive deep into things like this as it were, I'm just like you, I know what I love and I constantly seek out new music that might impact me in any way. Never underestimate the knowledge you carry, we always have something to teach or show to one another, one of the best things about life, finding the good ones in a sea of assholes and picking their brains to make things a wee bit more enjoyable. Thanks Iron
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-16-2005 at 09:03 AM

a classic thorp board thread. thank you.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 11-16-2005 at 10:19 AM

The Staggers are pretty damn good, I would definitely like to hear more, thank you Tire Iron. They remind me of the Misfits, if the Misfits had alot more balls and less theatrics. And I see one of the guitarists used to be with the Brasknuckle Boys, how Ironic? Thanks again man, awesome stuff.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 11-16-2005 at 03:44 PM

Yeah, actually The Staggers predate The Brassknuckle Boys and when The Staggers went on hiatus the guitarist left for them. The Staggers got back together, put out a second album and then went back on hiatus (as they are now), The singer started a side project called Dog Company which is really good too, but they just have a demo out.

Veritas odium parit
jason kills

Mood: early man

[*] posted on 11-16-2005 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Yeah, actually The Staggers predate The Brassknuckle Boys and when The Staggers went on hiatus the guitarist left for them. The Staggers got back together, put out a second album and then went back on hiatus (as they are now), The singer started a side project called Dog Company which is really good too, but they just have a demo out.

how the hell do you know about the Staggers? one of the best "rockabilly"-esque bands ever.

"i sold my soul, and i am not forgiven!"
jason kills

Mood: early man

[*] posted on 11-16-2005 at 05:42 PM

oh, and on topic, going to go the the good rev tonight. cant wait. hopefully i'll find a hot rockabilly chick to bed me tonight.

all gods are golden calves
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 11-17-2005 at 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jason kills
Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint

how the hell do you know about the Staggers? one of the best "rockabilly"-esque bands ever.

"i sold my soul, and i am not forgiven!"
I'm from Austin and I pay attention to Texas bands. I've watched those guys go from being one of the dozens of bands named Riot Squad and playing something slightly better than generic Street Rock to bringin' in the Rockabilly influence and amping up the Horror movie stuff and becoming one of my favorite bands. I wish I still had some of that old Riot Squad stuff, I picked up the last seven inch they did under that name from Haunted Town, but I haven't seen any of the older records in a long, long time. Jason, you don't know where I could get ahold of any of it, do you?

Oh, just to bring this back full circle to Thorp records, the first Staggers record (under that name) was a split seven inch with The Boils. Fucking great record too.

Veritas odium parit

Go To Top