Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: a question for you old people
dgp

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 10:55 AM
a question for you old people

since that "how old are you" thread showed there are a lot...

do you still go to shows on a regular basis?

if not, why not? adult responsibilities? too old to stay out late? tired of realizing that everyone except yourself at the show could be your child?
Big Ugly

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 11:53 AM

I'll be 28 this month but I don't know if you count that as old. I don't go to as many shows as I did 10 years ago but I do still go on a regular basis. If I miss a show it's usually because I'm broke after paying all my bills.

RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 12:23 PM

im 24 and i still go to shows. I've been around music and bands my whole life. I dont think geting older has anything to with it. Now... having a job and children on the other hand do.

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 12:41 PM

i don't goto as many shows as i once did, now it seems i just choose more wisely on which ones i do goto, where10-15 years ago i'd go to anything that sounded halfway good every weekend.

ScottJ

Mood: Death Threat

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 03:19 PM

29 and it has been slowing down because I have other stuff I am into, plus I am engaged.

I still go to alot of shows, still close to 1 a week. Actually up until 6 months ago more then one show a week.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 06:34 PM

Well, where I am now, there are no shows. But before I moved I went to anything worthwhile. I certainly don't have the tolerance to go to some of the more popular shows that I did when I was younger, I fucking hate being crammed into a tiny space with so many people all around me that I can hardly move. Also I find that there are fewer and fewer bands worth seeing, so many rehashed bad versions of better bands and shitty metal bands masquerading as Hardcore. I definitely do what I can to see the good bands though, whether that means only getting an hour or two of sleep before getting up for work or whatever. I certainly don't see myself ever not going to a show for a band I like just because of my age.
nyhcmom

Mood: Sick of it All

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 11:30 PM

Hey if Sick of it All are playing I'm there! Don't get to go to many shows though, have to pay for two tickets now, plus travel and all. Everything is at least two hours away from here. If I was still in NY I'd still be going.
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 03:13 AM

I'm 31 and my business and 2 kids slow me down for now
in about 1 more month I'll be 5 minutes from the grandparents, (free babysitting) and hiring some full time mofo's to print. Then if there is a show I think is worth catching I will mos def be there.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 06:55 PM

Been goign to shows in cleveland since 1990. I go to al shows that have real hardcore. Not Atreyou or whatever.

Jsut saw Murphys Law a week ago with some ska bands. Not many people but good show. Honestly I want alot in the past but now its not so often unless SOIA, Agnostic or anyone of that caliber play I'm there.

I probably see about 7 shows a year maybe a couple more if It's a good lineup.

Now that I got a house with bills and shit I have no time unless it's a good show. Nothing worse than seeing a new band suck that was supposed to be all that. Not I jsut leave the show anymore.
greg hxc

Mood: Crown of Thornz

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 08:39 PM

i don't know what counts as old, but i'm 26 and hit just about every show i can.

hah someone's gotta show these young kids how to move ;)

edit: i'm 25, not 26 til April. my brain must be thinkin ahead.

Big Ugly

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boycott Christian HC
This year I managed to get off my lazy 31 years old ass for Kraftwerk, Ornette Coleman, Culture (the reggae band, possibly the best show I've ever been to) and 25 Ta Life.

Through high school and college I used to go to every fucking underground show there was, but later on, as I got me a job and shit, I guess it just wasn't that important to me anymore. I just missed Ratos De Porao yesterday, simply because I had a lot of things to take care of. Not very cool. Go ahead and talk shit, I deserve it.

Lucky bastard. You got to see Kraftwerk. How were they?

ESSENCE OF PAIN

Mood: essence of pain

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 11:30 PM
34 AND STILL TICKING

IM 34 AND I STILL GO OUT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE I WILL DRIVE 4 HRS TO SEE A GOOD SHOW. KEITH ESSENCE OF PAIN
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 10:03 AM

In highschool, I went to one show a week. There were a ton of great options in and around Philly in the late 80s and early 90s; one club in particular had hardcore shows every Saturday. In college, things slowed down a bit due to the amount of school work and the slow scene in Baltimore (DC had a lot of shows, though). Probably went to two shows a month back then. Over the past 10 years of living in NYC, I've been going to fewer hXc shows, but going to see more of other types of music.

This year, at a whopping 30 years old, I've gotten off my ass to see Terror (x2), SOIA, BL13, Sheer Terror, Youth of Today, and Clutch. At the other end of the spectrum, we've also gone to see the NY Philharmonic (x2), the Whirling Dervishes of Turkey, King Missile, The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players, and Shonen Knife. Damn, once you write it all down, it sure looks like a lot!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
DAN SMASH
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 10:26 AM

36 and been pretty quiet this year.
seen soia, blood for blood, dropkick murphys, every monthly show ive done since june, plus a couple of local hardcore shows.
going to see one this weekend, 3 sXe bands plus a band we got playing our xmas show.
then motorhead/sepultura, machine head, my revenge and eastpack tour by the end of the year. looking at it, i guess thats quite a lot of shows.
when i played in a band years ago we would have a show nearly every fortnight up north and would go to see bands play nearly every sunday night.

DAN SMASH
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Duane
In highschool, I went to one show a week. There were a ton of great options in and around Philly in the late 80s and early 90s; one club in particular had hardcore shows every Saturday. In college, things slowed down a bit due to the amount of school work and the slow scene in Baltimore (DC had a lot of shows, though). Probably went to two shows a month back then. Over the past 10 years of living in NYC, I've been going to fewer hXc shows, but going to see more of other types of music.

This year, at a whopping 30 years old, I've gotten off my ass to see Terror (x2), SOIA, BL13, Sheer Terror, Youth of Today, and Clutch. At the other end of the spectrum, we've also gone to see the NY Philharmonic (x2), the Whirling Dervishes of Turkey, King Missile, The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players, and Shonen Knife. Damn, once you write it all down, it sure looks like a lot!

dude, are you still looking at crossing the pond for the pogues?

GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 11:07 AM

im turning 28 and ive been into punk/hxc since i was about 13, ive been booking shows since i was about 18 and playing in all sorts of bands since i was 16. I dont see myself stoping anytime soon. Its in my blood,this isnt some cliche that you see on some little kids tattoo, this is the real deal.
dgp

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Duane
Damn, once you write it all down, it sure looks like a lot!

i keep a list of all the shows i go to. this year, i will hit 50.
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DAN SMASH

dude, are you still looking at crossing the pond for the pogues?

ummm what pogues show?????

spill the beans
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 04:53 PM

The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players is funny stuff. The family makes up goofy songs to go along with old slide show reels they find. One of them was from a McDonalds corporate board meeting from like 1975. The slides were hilarious.

Unfortunately, the Pogues shows are not looking so good at this point. A project I was expecting didn't come though, so it doesn't look like the cash will be there to finance it.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 04:53 PM

http://www.shanemacgowan.com/dates.shtml

greg hxc

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 05:29 PM

!!!

thats the way to spend new years right there.

i have an old pogues rum sodomy & the lash shirt i should trade/sell. it's an XL and i'm... not. its bad ass enough to not want to give it up, but someone should be wearing it.

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 08:11 PM

I dont consider myself old, but I'll contribute to this thread anyway. I get to maybe a show a month. I was going to more last year this time, but lately Ive been busy with other stuff. Im trying to line up a second job now, so I'll have even less time soon if it works out. I need the money.....

defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 08:16 PM

I'm an xl, but all my money is tied up in the move
damn pogues and their reunion...
greg hxc

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 08:29 PM

print me up a sweet hoody and its yours ;)

defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 03:39 AM

ha ha...
after we move...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top