Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PARENTS: Do you spank your children?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 03:00 PM
PARENTS: Do you spank your children?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051121/hl_nm/spanking_aggressio...

Spanking children fuels aggression, anxiety

By Megan Rauscher2 hours, 16 minutes ago

Children who are spanked when they misbehave are more likely to be anxious and aggressive than children who are disciplined in nonphysical ways, research shows. This is true even if spanking is the "cultural norm."

Whether parents should spank their children or use other forms of physical discipline is controversial. Some experts argue that children should not be spanked when they act out citing evidence that it leads to more, rather than fewer, behavior problems and it could escalate into physical abuse. There are data to support this argument.

Other experts, however, argue that the effects of spanking and physical discipline might depend on the characteristics of the child and family and the circumstances in which it is used.

To investigate the latter theory, researchers from questioned 336 mothers and their children in China, India, Italy, Kenya, the Philippines, and Thailand about cultural norms surrounding use of physical discipline and how it affected their children's behavior.

Jennifer Lansford, a research scientist from the Center for Child and Family Policy at Duke University spearheaded the survey. She told Reuters Health that "across the six countries studied, children who were physically disciplined more frequently were more aggressive and anxious than were children who were physically disciplined less frequently."

"However, in countries where the use of physical discipline was more common, being physically disciplined more frequently was not related as strongly to aggression and anxiety as it was in countries where physical discipline was less frequently used," she said.

Not surprisingly, in Thailand, a country where peace-promoting Buddhist teachings predominant, moms were least likely to spank their children or use other forms of physical discipline.

In Kenya, on the other hand, where use of physical discipline is common and considered normal for the most part, moms were most likely to spank or engage in similar disciplinary tactics. In a study conducted in Kenya in 2003, 57 percent of grandmothers reported caning, pinching, slapping, tying with a rope, hitting, beating, and kicking as forms of discipline they had used on their grandchildren.

One question the findings raise, according to Lansford, is whether being physically disciplined more frequently causes an increase in aggression and anxiety or whether children who are already aggressive and anxious are simply physically disciplined more often. "On the basis of other work conducted in the United States, the answer is probably some of each," Lansford said.

"Another question is whether physical discipline is appropriate in this day and age, regardless of how accepted it may be," she added.

SOURCE: Child Development, November/December 2005.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 03:05 PM

I'm on the fence, I was spanked by my old man and I believe it was part of who I became, which in my opinion is a good thing. I don't really think I can handle it with my own daughter though, and my wife is anti spanking, so I guess we will probably not use that form of discipline. It's all so confusing.
jason kills

Mood: early man

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 03:19 PM

"Other experts, however, argue that the effects of spanking and physical discipline might depend on the characteristics of the child and family and the circumstances in which it is used."

- well no fucking shit. morons. it's all subjective. i got whooped a whole lot and i deserved all of it. taught that if you fuck up, it's going to suck for you in the long run. hell, spanking is a merciful way of dealing with shit. i'd rather be hit in the face than have someone hurt my heart.

"Jennifer Lansford, a research scientist from the Center for Child and Family Policy at Duke University spearheaded the survey. She told Reuters Health that "across the six countries studied, children who were physically disciplined more frequently were more aggressive and anxious than were children who were physically disciplined less frequently." "

- ugh. those kids probably get whooped alot cause they are some hyperactive fucks that constantly fuck up. spankings, in my household, weren't something my family looked forward to. when i fucked up, my hide got tanned.

"In Kenya, on the other hand, where use of physical discipline is common and considered normal for the most part, moms were most likely to spank or engage in similar disciplinary tactics. In a study conducted in Kenya in 2003, 57 percent of grandmothers reported caning, pinching, slapping, tying with a rope, hitting, beating, and kicking as forms of discipline they had used on their grandchildren"

- this has nothing to do with spanking. i'm sure there are grandmothers in china that beat their grandkids. fucking sensationalist b.s.

all gods are golden calves
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 03:30 PM

I was straight up beat....
my daughter is 10 never been spanked...
my son is 2 never been spanked...
but my word is law,
ans when I speak they listen
jason kills

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 03:34 PM

yeah, steve's kids are badass. and they respect the hell out of him.

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 03:38 PM

I was never spanked, and Im sure I wont spank my kids if I have any. I'd rather have them respect me rather than fear me.

Mrs. Moron is definitely not down with spanking kids either. She cringes when she sees my sister and brother-in-law spank their kids.
jason kills

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 03:45 PM

i think there's a huge diff between spanking out of anger and spanking as consequences. i was always warned. "you do that, you're gonna get whooped." i'd still do it, but i can never say that i didn't knwo it was coming. never feared my parents cause they never went overboard.

i don't have kids, but i honestly think if i had a little girl, i couldn't bring myself to yell at her. all the boys in my family are fuck up's, so i'm sure if i had a son, he'd have a permanent belt-indention over his ass like i did. hahah

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 04:13 PM

If I had kids they'd get spanked. I was as a kid, but only if I was really bad. If I got spanked I knew I had it coming to me. I thinked it helped keep me in line when I was little.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 04:13 PM

My kids actually really good (when he is with me at least) and i never had to spank him.
Im not about spanking him anyway... my old man used the belt on me and honestly dont think it did much good....
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 05:12 PM

My son will know I am the boss. I would pull a Woody Hayes to prove a point but the idea is you never have to if they understand and respect you. However I know how I was growing up and I would have knocked the hell out of myself for some of the shit I did. I would hope I never have to do that.
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 06:05 PM

youz couldnt pay me enough to hit any of my kids
there are better ways to handle things

you come at the king....you best not miss
RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 07:07 PM

no.

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBadVibes
youz couldnt pay me enough to hit any of my kids
there are better ways to handle things

word
moforn

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 11:36 PM

I wouldn't spank my kids if I had any. Having said that, I have to question the validity of that study though as it isn't corrected for genetics. It's conceivable that tightly wound, aggressive, and impulsive parents (who would presumably be more prone to spanking) are more likely to have kids with these tendancies anyway. There's obviously more than genetics at play with determining someone's personality but it can play a large enough role to skew statistics.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 11-22-2005 at 12:23 PM

My daughter's gotten a few swats on the ass. But's it definitely not the first place I go, and when I say a few I mean I can count them on one hand. Circumstance shall dictate the proper course of action.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?

Go To Top