Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 10 Worst Foods To Eat
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 10:34 AM
10 Worst Foods To Eat

http://health.msn.com/dietnutrition/articlepage.aspx?cp-docu...

The 10 Absolute Worst Foods You Can Eat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Sue Gilbert, M.S., for iVillage

Related links

Nutrition Quiz
Quiz: Are You Supermarket Savvy?
The Dream Team: 5 Best-for-You Foods

Q: Dear Sue:

Would you please send to me a list of the 10 absolute worst foods you can eat? Thanks,

Leslie

A: Dear Leslie:

There are so many products that belong on the list that I couldn't limit it to 10, so rather than focus on individual brands I stuck to food categories. Foods and ingredients on this list don't need to be avoided entirely. Just be sure to eat them sparingly if you eat them at all.

Hydrogenated fats

These are mostly man-made fats that are used in bakery items and stick margarine. Studies show that it isn't so much how much fat there is in your diet that causes problems, as what kind of fat, and hydrogenated fats are the worst. Avoid buying cookies, crackers, baked goods or anything else that has hydrogenated oil on the ingredient list. Fortunately, the FDA now requires that food manufactures identify the amount of hydrogenated fats in their products?look for trans fats on the nutrition panel.

Olestra

Olestra is a fake fat, used to make non-fat potato chips and other snacks. You'd think, with all the bad rap fat has gotten, a non-fat fat would be great. But Olestra has been shown to bind with fat-soluble vitamins A, E, D and K and carotenoids?substances thought to keep the immune system healthy and prevent some cancers?and to eliminate them from your system. Proctor and Gamble, the company that produces olestra, has acknowledged the problem with vitamins A, E, D and K and is now fortifying it with them.

Olestra has also caused digestive upset in some people, especially when they eat a lot of it. Often, it's not just fat in the potato chips that causes problems for people; it's the fact that they are displacing healthier foods, such as fruit, so Olestra can just perpetuate an unhealthy habit.

advertisement
Choose the diet that's right for you!
? Food Pyramid Made Easy
? Eating for Life Plan
? Vegetarian Plan
? Living with Diabetes Plan
? eDiets Weight Loss Plan
? Atkins? Plan
? Total Body Makeover
? Glycemic Impact Plan

Nitrates

Many foods, especially cured meats such as bacon and hot dogs, use nitrates to preserve color and maintain microbial safety. Nitrate is harmless, but it can convert to nitrite, which can form nitrosamines, a powerful cancer-causing chemical, in your body. Whenever possible, look for nitrate-free preserved meats. When you do eat foods containing nitrates, have a glass of orange juice at the same time (for instance, orange juice with your morning bacon). Vitamin C is known to inhibit the conversion to nitrosamines in your stomach.

Alcohol

This one item has created more problems than all the rest put together. Of course, it is possible to consume alcohol wisely and safely and enjoy it immensely, such as a fine glass of wine with a delicious dinner. But even if you exercise caution in no other area of your diet, this is the area where you should.

Raw oysters

Raw oysters can carry deadly bacteria that can cause severe illness or death. Because it is strictly "buyer beware" when buying them, you take a big risk every time you do. To date, no government or independent body inspects seafood for safety or will guarantee its quality. Oysters are a nutritious food, and are great to include in your diet, but if you do, cook them first!

Saturated animal fats

That means fatty meats, especially beef and pork, or the skin on poultry. It also includes full-fat dairy products such as cheese, milk and cream. Fatty meat and dairy products do have some contributions to make to a diet, but none that can't be found elsewhere.

Soda

Drinking soda is a poor way to get fluids. They are full of sugar or artificial sweeteners and often contain caffeine, artificial colors and flavors. Substitute homemade soda by mixing sparkling water with fresh, 100 percent juice.

Low-acid home-canned foods

Home canning can be dangerous for foods low in acid such as green beans, carrots or other garden vegetables. The potential of botulism is high because home canners often do not reach the temperatures and pressures necessary to kill the botulism spores that may contaminate the food. Low-acid home-canned foods are one of the main causes of food poisoning.

High-fat snacks, chips

Even if they are made with vegetable oil, they should be minimized. The balance of fat in our diets has shifted too far to the omega-6 variety, found in most processed vegetable oils. It is thought that too many of these fats may be leading to certain chronic diseases. Instead, focus on fruits and non-fat whole grains for snacking.

Liquid meals

They aren't inherently bad for you, but they do keep you from eating whole, natural foods that contain more nutrients and fiber and disease-fighting phytochemicals. They may be okay for people who are too sick to eat, but don't let them displace the real foods in your diet.

More From iVillage on MSN Health & Fitness:
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 10:41 AM

I learned something today.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
CR83

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 11:31 AM

Good deal Bud.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 08:08 AM

I cant stop the soda... but at least its all diet soda. Could be worse.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX

The only thing with diet soda is the sodium, just have to regulate the blood pressure through other means. I am a diet soda addict as well, I know what you mean.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX

The only thing with diet soda is the sodium, just have to regulate the blood pressure through other means. I am a diet soda addict as well, I know what you mean.

Theres a soda that they advertise on The Biggest Loser called DIET RITE that comes in differant flavors and its SUGAR FREE, CAFFEINE FREE and SODIUM FREE.

I havent found it yet, but I will try it and drink that if it tastes decent.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
CR83

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 06:35 PM

Sodium free will set it apart. The artifical sweeteners give me the shakes and cause my blood sugar to go crazy.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 1-14-2006 at 06:31 PM

Can't do the diet sodas, artificial sweeteners taste like chemical ass. I'm an on again off again Pepsi junkie, but I plan on cutting it out again. I just have to slowly wean myself off of it or I get those horrible caffeine headaches. I've done it a few times before and had no real problems after the caffeine addiction subsided, but I always go back out of laziness.

I seem to be clean as far as a lot of this list is concerned since I'm a vegetarian, but there were a few things that hit home. Thanks for the info.

Veritas odium parit
forsaken

[*] posted on 1-14-2006 at 10:01 PM

man i'm basically fucked then hahaah cept i dont touch raw oysters and alcohol.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 11:41 PM

My big weakness is chips and soda.... I will say... and I hope it's better for me, the majority of my soda consumption consists of that Whole Foods 365 root beer... natural soda. It's one of the best root beers ever, and it's cheaper than the brands with high fructose corn syrup.

CR83

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 11:57 AM

If I'm not mistaken root beer doesn't contain caffeine.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 01:14 AM

Most doesn't, except that Barq's stuff... they add caffeine to it for some reason.

crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 06:49 PM

get the kids all hopped up on the caffeine,another customer for life...im in the beverage industry, its still amazes me that the worst types of soda are the best sellers, i work for pepsi and we obviously do mt. dew, that is hands down the biggest name we have and also the worst for ya...go figure
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 12:19 AM

really? pepsi co sells dew than pepsi?
i used to have a little two-liter-a-day 'problem' with that stuff when i was a youngster.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 12:25 PM

surprisingly enough, regular pepsi is decreasing in sales and all the diets are growing by leaps and bounds, as well as all these energy drinks....but since no other company really has a competetor to mt dew, it pretty much sells itself. i guess coke has something called vault coming out that is like dew and has vitamins in it, they keep trying to match us but usually fail... dont get me wrong though, pepsi sells the most volume wise, but mt. dew is the one growing the fastest..thats what i meant in the last post

Go To Top