Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Water: How much should you drink every day?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 12:36 AM
Water: How much should you drink every day?

From MayoClinic.com
Special to CNN.com

How much water should you drink each day? ? a simple question with no easy answer. Just as you are unique, so are your water needs. And how much water you need depends on many factors, including your health status, how active you are and where you live.

Though no single formula fits all people, several guidelines are available to help you estimate how much to drink each day. Delve into your daily fluid needs to learn how your body uses water and what factors may increase ? or decrease ? your water requirements.

Health benefits of water
Water is crucial to your health. It makes up, on average, 60 percent of your body weight. Every system in your body depends on water.

Lack of water can lead to dehydration, a condition that occurs when you don't have enough water in your body to carry on normal functions. Even mild dehydration ? as little as a 1 percent to 2 percent loss of your body weight ? can sap your energy and make you tired. Dehydration poses a particular health risk for the very young and the very old. Signs and symptoms of dehydration include:

Excessive thirst
Fatigue
Headache
Dry mouth
Little or no urination
Muscle weakness
Dizziness
Lightheadedness

How much water do you need?
Every day you lose water through sweating ? noticeable and unnoticeable ? exhaling, urinating and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you need to replace this water by consuming beverages and foods that contain water. So how much water, or more precisely fluid, do you need?

This isn't an easy question to answer. A healthy adult's daily fluid intake can vary widely. Most people drink fluid to quench thirst, to supply perceived water needs and "out of habit." At least three approaches estimate total fluid (water) needs for healthy, sedentary adults living in a temperate climate.

Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is 1.5 liters a day. You lose close to an additional liter of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your fluid intake, so you if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups), along with your normal diet, you can replace the lost fluids.

Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" ? drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Though this approach isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this basic rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.
Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine recommends that men consume 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day. These guidelines are based on national food surveys that assessed people's average fluid intakes.

You can choose any of these fluid intake approaches to gauge your fluid needs. But your current total fluid intake is probably OK if you drink enough water to quench your thirst, produce a colorless or slightly yellow normal amount of urine, and feel well.

Factors that influence water needs
You may need to modify total fluid intake from these recommended amounts depending on several factors, including how active you are, the climate, your health status, and if you're pregnant or breast-feeding.

Exercise. If you exercise or engage in any activity that makes you sweat, you'll need to drink extra water to compensate for that fluid loss. Drink 2 cups of water two hours before a long endurance event, for example, a marathon or half-marathon. One to 2 cups of water is also adequate for shorter bouts of exercise. During the activity, replenish fluids at regular intervals, and continue drinking water or other fluids after you're finished. During intense exercise involving significant sweating, for example, during a marathon, sodium is lost in sweat, and you may need a sports drink with sodium rather than just water.

Environment. You need to drink additional water in hot or humid weather to help lower your body temperature and to replace what you lose through sweating. You may also need extra water in cold weather if you sweat while wearing insulated clothing. Heated, indoor air can cause your skin to lose moisture, increasing your daily fluid requirements. And altitudes greater than 2,500 meters (8,200 feet) also can affect how much water your body needs. Higher altitudes may trigger increased urination and more rapid breathing, which uses up more of your fluid reserves.

Illnesses or health conditions. Some signs and symptoms of illnesses, such as fever, vomiting and diarrhea, cause your body to lose extra fluids. To replace lost fluids, drink more water or oral rehydration solutions (Gatorade, Powerade, CeraLyte, others). When water loss can't be replaced orally, intravenous water and electrolytes may be necessary. Increased water intake is nearly always advised in people with urinary tract stones. On the other hand, you may need to limit the amount of water you drink if you have certain conditions that impair excretion of water ? such as heart failure and some types of kidney, liver, adrenal and thyroid diseases.

Pregnant or breast-feeding. Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding need additional water to stay hydrated and to replenish the fluids lost, especially when nursing. The Institute of Medicine recommends that pregnant women drink 2.3 liters (nearly 10 cups) of fluids a day and women who breast-feed consume 3.1 liters (about 13 cups) of fluids a day.

Beyond the tap: Many sources of water
You don't need to sip from your water bottle all day to satisfy your fluid needs. Your diet, including the beverages you drink, can provide a large portion of what you need. In an average adult diet, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. The remaining 80 percent comes from beverages of all kinds.

Fruits and vegetables ? besides being good sources of vitamins, minerals and fiber ? contain lots of water. For example, oranges are 87 percent water, and cucumbers are 95 percent water. Milk, juice and other beverages also have large amounts of water. Conversely, dried fruits, nuts, grain products and baked goods generally contain less water.

Alcohol ? such as beer and wine ? and caffeinated beverages ? such as coffee, tea or soda ? can contribute to your total fluid intake. But your best beverage is still water. Water is calorie-free, inexpensive when drawn from a faucet or fountain, and readily available in and out of your home.

Make it count: Meet your water needs through food and beverages
Thirst not always a reliable gauge
If you're healthy and not in any dehydrating conditions, you can generally use your thirst as an indicator of when to drink water. But thirst isn't always an adequate gauge of your body's need for fluid replenishment. The older you are, the less you're able to sense that you're thirsty. And during vigorous exercise, an important amount of your fluid reserves may be lost before you feel thirsty. So make sure that you're sufficiently hydrated before, during and after exercise.

Increased thirst and increased urination, both in volume and frequency, can be signs and symptoms of diabetes. With diabetes, excess blood sugar (glucose) in your body draws water from your tissues, making you feel dehydrated. To quench your thirst, you drink a lot of water and other beverages and that leads to more frequent urination. If you notice unexplained increases in your thirst and urination, see your doctor. It may not necessarily mean you have diabetes. It could be something else. And some people consume large amounts of water and experience increased urine output not associated with any underlying disease.

Type 1 diabetes
Staying safely hydrated
Make a conscious effort to keep yourself hydrated and make water your beverage of choice. Nearly every healthy adult can consider the following:

- Drink a glass of water with each meal and between each meal.
- Take water breaks instead of coffee or tea breaks.
- Substitute sparkling water for alcoholic drinks at social gatherings.

If you drink water from a bottle, thoroughly clean or replace the bottle often. Every time you drink, bacteria from your mouth contaminate water in the bottle. If you use a bottle repeatedly, make sure that the bottle is designed for reuse. To keep it clean, wash your container in hot, soapy water or run it through a dishwasher before refilling it.

Though uncommon, it's possible to drink too much water. Drinking excessive amounts can overwhelm your kidneys' ability to get rid of the water. This can lead to hyponatremia, a condition in which excess water intake dilutes the normal amount of sodium in the blood. Marathon runners and people who are older, who have certain medical conditions ? such as congestive heart failure and cirrhosis, or who are taking certain diuretics are at higher risk of hyponatremia.

Drinking too much water is rare in healthy adults who consume an average American diet. Check with your doctor or a registered dietitian if you're concerned about drinking too much or too little water. He or she can help you determine the amount that's best for you.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 12:37 AM

i've been keeping track this month. i'm averaging about 100oz, just under 3 liters, of water a day.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 07:27 AM

I thought that they always said that 8, 8 oz glasses (64 ounces)
a day was the perfect ammount?

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 11:27 AM

There are a ton of variables. Keeping it around 100 oz's is a real good way to go. My problem is that I have to piss about every 20 minutes it seems when I'm really hitting the water.

I think if you make an effort to drink 8 oz of water every hour to hour and a half you are OK.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 01:10 PM

We had to drink 4 litres a day when I was in the desert, so 3 litres sounds reasonable, but you're a big dude aren't you Duane? I definiteley am walking around dehydrated 99% of the time.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 01:21 PM

6'4", nearly 300lbs.

i start each day with a new 20oz bottle of water, then just keep filling it up as i go. probably two in the morning, one with lunch, one or two more in the afternoon, one with dinner, then one in the evening. calling it siz bottle doesn't sound like much, but three liters sure as hell does!

upyerbum
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 02:44 PM

You probably piss a litre a or two from the size of ya.:P

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
CR83

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 10:10 AM

I just read an article about "hydrotherapy" on weight loss. IT recommends drinking 32 OZ of cold water first thing in the morning. This lowers your core temp and jump starts your metabolism. The eat Breakfast thirty minutes later.

This can add up to 2 pounds weight loss in a month.

Not sure if it's true but man that's a lot of water first thing in the morning.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 02:42 PM

i'll give it a try.
at my size, 32 oz isn't that bad.
my biggest problem is that i wake up hungry, so hopefully the water will tide me over.

CR83

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 03:37 PM

The other thing they recommend is doing some sort of cardio for about 20 minutes too. I would think that with 32oz of water in you, cardio may be tough.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 03:45 PM

"They" say that alot of the times you feel hungry it is actually thirst. I usually have a chug of water when I feel "hungry" and I'd say 80% of the time it solves my problem.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 2-3-2006 at 08:50 AM

1 gallon every day. Starting today. Beginning in 10 minutes @ 8a.m.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-3-2006 at 10:14 AM

good luck. i've been doing about 3/4 gallon a day. i swear, i spend more time peeing...

Go To Top