Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Prescription Diet Pills OTC?
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 03:52 PM
Prescription Diet Pills OTC?

Has anyone ever taken a perscriptin diet pill before? If so, did it work? I have tried Phentermine. That shit works for sure. Keeps your ass awake too.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10987529/

WASHINGTON - A prescription diet drug that blocks the absorption of fat is ?no magic pill? but will nevertheless help control calorie intake, the drug manufacturer said Monday as the Food and Drug Administration considered whether to approve the pill for over-the-counter sales.

In 1999, the regulatory agency approved orlistat, marketed as Xenical, for sale as a prescription drug. The drug blocks the absorption of fat and GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare is seeking to sell an over-the-counter version of the pill.

If the company is successful, the pill would become the first weight-loss drug to be approved for nonprescription sales. A nonprescription version of the drug could cost consumers an estimated $12 to $25 a week, the company said.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

?There is no magic pill for weight loss and orlistat is not a magic pill. Orlistat is a tool that will help people control their calorie intake and modify their diet,? said John Dent, the pharmaceutical company?s senior vice president of research and development.

That proposed version, called Alli (pronounced ?ally?), would contain half the dose of the prescription capsule. Two FDA advisory committees were to vote on recommending approval late Monday.

The agency usually follows the nonbinding recommendations of its outside panels of experts.

An earlier, internal FDA review found the drug is a ?safe and effective weight loss agent,? but held off on concluding whether it should be sold without a prescription. The review found that over-the-counter use of the drug could lead to vitamin deficiencies and encourage abuse.

On Monday, FDA panel members questioned whether consumers would be able to distinguish Alli from non-approved dietary supplements also sold as weight-loss aids. They also expressed concern about its effect on vitamin intake; half of patients enrolled in trials of the drug failed to understand the need to take supplemental vitamins at least two hours before or after using the pills.

On Monday, FDA panel members questioned whether consumers would be able to distinguish Alli from non-approved dietary supplements also sold as weight-loss aids. They also expressed concern about its effect on vitamin intake.

When taken with meals, the drug blocks the absorption of about one-quarter of any fat consumed. That fat is passed out of the body in stools, which can be loose or oily as a result. Other side effects include gas, incontinence and oily spotting. About half of patients in trials experienced such side effects, the company said.

In six-month clinical trials, obese people who took orlistat lost on average 5.3 pounds to 6.2 pounds more than did those who were given dummy pills, according to FDA documents. The drug?s effect on weight loss is ?gradual and modest,? said Steve Burton, Glaxo?s vice president of weight control.

Vitamin deficiencies
The primary concern of FDA reviewers was the drug?s potential to create vitamin deficiencies, since its use also blocks absorption of fat-soluble vitamins like D, E, K and beta-carotene. The company has recommended patients take multivitamins when using the drug.

However, at least 47 percent of people ignored that advice in drug trials. Furthermore, just 35 percent of diabetes patients in a study correctly stated the drug was inappropriate for them, according to FDA documents.

Those sort of results worried FDA reviewers, who questioned the risk of selling the drug directly to consumers ?without the principal involvement of a learned intermediary,? or prescribing doctor.

Related coverage
FDA warns consumers on Brazilian diet pills
New wave of obesity pills ready for market

The reviewers also showed concern about the increased potential for abuse or misuse of a prescription-free version of the drug, especially among bulimics or binge-eaters who could develop vitamin deficiencies due to chronic use. The company said there was a ?very low? potential for abuse.

British-owned GlaxoSmithKline?s U.S. operations are based in Philadelphia and Research Triangle Park, N.C.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-24-2006 at 07:25 PM

I wish I knew of a diet pill that would REALLY do what they claim to do. I THINK that MAYBE I would try it.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 11:49 AM

yeah it seems like too often pills come out sounding great, then two years later people who took em are having strokes or heart attacks or some shit. ummm... no thanks.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
CR83

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 12:03 PM

I have had personal experience with Phentermine (the replacement for Phen Phen-sp?). They apparently removed the ingredients that causes all the troubles.

I have had several friends use it as well with a great degree of success. Shit is expensive and perscription. You can get it off the internet with a little digging.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisReed83
I have had personal experience with Phentermine (the replacement for Phen Phen-sp?). They apparently removed the ingredients that causes all the troubles.

I have had several friends use it as well with a great degree of success. Shit is expensive and perscription. You can get it off the internet with a little digging.

what does it do? Does it make you NOT hungry?

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
CR83

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 11:56 AM

You are correct. You really don't feel like eating and it is an emphatamine so you are in a good mood with a lot of energy. It really gets your metabolism going. You may get a dull headache but I just took some advil and had no problems. You will be thirsty as well. If you want info on what to look for just let me know. It is only good for like 2 weeks then it looses it's effect so you take 2 to three weeks off and go at it again if you wish.

In no way am I recommending this stuff or promising that it is a miracle pill. I have seen it work on many people. Please judge yourself Bud.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 12:00 PM

interesting. is its effectiveness tied to excercise at all, or is it stictly meant to simply make you not hungry?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
CR83

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 01:02 PM

It is not tied to exercise in the least bit. I have had friend who just took it and did not exercise and lost weight. It decreases your appetite and gives you energy. Side effects are "metal mouth", headaches and thirst. I don't get headaches a lot and it gave me headaches but they were mild. Once I stopped taking it, I was tired but this is a form of speed so you will be tired once you are off it. My friend just found a new place to get it from. I'll see if I can get the link for you guys.
CR83

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 01:03 PM

First site to check out on info for this stuff is:

http://www.phentermine.com/
CR83

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 02:46 PM

Here's a good place to get them.
My friend just got another shipment fomr them. They are expensive.

www.integrarx.com

Go with 30 MG

When ordering, your Body Mass Index or BMI needs to be in the 30's I beleive. Just find a BMI Calculator on the internet.

Good luck with this info Boys.

Go To Top