Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Input for Joe Macon... Favorite SICK OF IT ALBUM and why?
Self-Titled EP (1987) -- 0 (0%)
Blood, Sweat and No Tears (1989) --- 4 (18.18%)
We Stand Alone (1991) --- 1 (4.55%)
Just Look Around (1992) --- 7 (31.82%)
Scratch the Surface (1994) --- 4 (18.18%)
Live in a World Full of Hate (1995) -- 0 (0%)
Spreading the Hardcore Reality (1995) -- 0 (0%)
Built To Last (1997) --- 3 (13.64%)
Potential for a Fall (1998) -- 0 (0%)
Call to Arms (1999) -- 0 (0%)
Yours Truly (2000) --- 1 (4.55%)
The Story So Far (2001) -- 0 (0%)
Live in a Dive (2002) -- 0 (0%)
Life on the Ropes (2003) --- 1 (4.55%)
Relentless Single (2003) -- 0 (0%)
Rare Cuts (2004) -- 0 (0%)
Outtakes For The Outcast (2004) --- 1 (4.55%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Input for Joe Macon... Favorite SICK OF IT ALBUM and why?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 02:29 PM
Input for Joe Macon... Favorite SICK OF IT ALBUM and why?

Our pal Joe needs to be formally introduced to Sick of it All.
Which of their albums is your favorite and why?

-----
Sick Of It All Bio
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Sick Of It All is a New York hardcore band formed by brothers Lou (vocals) and Pete Koller (guitar), Armand Majidi (drums) and Rich Cipriano (bass) in 1986. They are one of the most influential and long-lasting Hardcore bands of all time.

Early years
Hailing from the borough of Queens in New York City, Sick Of It All was formed alongside New York Hardcore bands Straight Ahead, and Rest In Pieces which both featured Majidi and current Sick Of It All bass player Craig Setari. Majidi joined forces with the Koller brothers and Rich Cipriano to record the Sick Of It All demo in 1986, after original bassist Mark McNielly and drummer David Lamb didn't find their musical footing. The band began to play Sunday afternoon matinees at renowned Hardcore venue CBGB's, occasionally sharing the bill with Straight Ahead or Rest In Pieces, and soon after released a self-titled 7" on Revelation Records (which was later re-issued on the tenth anniversary of its release, in 1997).
The band released their first full-length, Blood, Sweat And No Tears on Relativity Records in 1989, which rapidly became an underground classic. Their follow-up, the legendary Just Look Around released in 1992, confirmed the band as the flag-bearer for a new era of Hardcore. It also heralded European and Japanese tours, a significant line-up change and the chance to sign for a major record label.

EastWest Records
Amidst cries of 'sell-out' from fickle fans and under pressure from misguided music executives to rival the success of bands like Rancid and The Offspring, Sick Of It All released their heaviest record to date on major label EastWest Records, in the form of 1994's Scratch The Surface. The record was a brutal response to those who assumed the band would create a more radio-friendly sound, as the band took aim at rule-makers, rapists and Hardcore reality. They even found time to record the hilarious "Step Down" video - a biting parody of Hardcore dancing that showcases the band's oft-overlooked sense of humour. The record was also the first recorded with long-time friend and former Straight Ahead, Rest In Pieces, Youth of Today and Agnostic Front bassist Craig Setari, who had replaced Rich Cipriano in early 1993.

But not everything was running to plan. Born Against, another New York Hardcore band who insisted in an infamous radio argument between the two bands that Sick Of It All's decision to sign for a major record label was the antithesis of what Hardcore music was about. Born Against's major argument was that it allowed the label the censor the band, but they also seemed to fear a commercial success of the tougher side of Hardcore. In the argument people of both sides almost seem to make parodies of themselves.

Worse still for the band, in December 1992, a mentally-ill student wearing a Sick Of It All shirt shot and killed two people at a Massachusetts school, and wounded several others. After being inundated with claims that they initiated violence at shows and through their music, the band eloquently defended their craft in the liberal media (particularly The New York Times), but offered a more forceful indictment on the knee-jerk reactions of conservative America in the form of the scathing "Goatless" off the Scratch The Surface album.

The success of Scratch The Surface allowed the band to tour worldwide, and it was not until 1997 that they released their second record on the EastWest label, Built To Last. More punk-inspired than their previous effort, Built To Last produced a number of live staples for the band, including "Us vs. Them," "Busted" and the always-played "Good Lookin' Out." The album also marked the end of Sick Of It All's contractual agreement with EastWest and, having received dubiously little money from the sale of any of their records, it was with some relief that the band left the label for pastures anew.

A new beginning
In 1998, Sick Of It All signed to independent record label Fat Wreck Chords, owned and run by Fat Mike of Californian band NOFX. After releasing the "Potential For A Fall" single - for which another side-splitting video was filmed, Call To Arms was released in February 1999. The album featured relatively few traditional Hardcore tracks, as the intensely personal lyrics of songs like "Let Go," "The Future Is Mine," "Morally Confused" "Hindsight," and "Martin" shone through. There's even a love song on the album, in the form of the touching "Sanctuary."

Less critically acclaimed was the 2000 follow-up, Yours Truly. Despite containing some of the bands favoured live tracks, including "Blown Away," "The Bland Within," "District" and "America," some fans felt alienated by the album's progressive nature and in a recent interview, frontman Lou Koller claimed that the album's cover art probably contributed to its poor reception.

Live In A Dive and Life on the Ropes
In 2001, Sick Of It All released their classic home video The Story So Far, and a year later a live record was released as part of Fat Wreck's Live In A Dive series. The album showcases tracks from Sick Of It All's entire career up to that point in time, and is generally regarded as an excellent example of the incredible intensity and energy generated by the band and its fans.

2003 saw Sick Of It All release their seventh studio album: Life on the Ropes. For some, it was a return to the form of old as the band lashed out against political oppression, violence and complacency in an album reminiscent of their earlier Scratch The Surface opus. In 2004, the band also released an album of b-sides, covers and rare tracks entitled Outtakes For The Outcast, which contains some must-have Sick Of It All recordings.

Legacy
Not merely through their longevity, but also via a back catalogue of essential Hardcore releases and one of the most dynamic live sets ever seen, Sick Of It All have established themselves as one of Hardcore's most vital bands. From the snarling anger of early tracks such as "Friends Like You" and "My Revenge," to the socio-political commentary of songs like "Just Look Around" and "Call To Arms," from indictments of the music industry in "Disco Sucks, Fuck Everything" and "Paper Tiger (Fakin' The Punk)," to the positive unity inspired by tracks like "Step Down" and "Chip Away," Sick Of It All will continue to remain a vibrant and relevant member of the punk community, long after the band decides to call it quits.

Miscellaneous
In 1995, the somewhat dubious German label Lost And Found Records released in Europe only, Spreading The Hardcore Reality and Live In A World Full Of Hate, the latter of which was supposedly recorded live in New Jersey in 1993, but was actually recorded at a chaotic show in Berlin in 1994. This bootleg ruse was created because of the band's contractual obligations at the time.

Numerous Sick Of It All fans have tattoos of the "Alleyway Dragon" - the band's official logo. Some people have claimed that the band misappropriated a gang symbol, but the band often claims that the Alleyway Crew was never an actual gang to begin with. A gang of friends, perhaps, but never one with criminal intent. They claim the dragon is a symbol of friendship. The "Alleyway" is a school yard in Flushing, Queens, where the band and all of its friends would gather.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 02:32 PM

Personally, the mid 90s were my favorite Sick Of It All years. Can't even really say why... Still kind of a rough sound, I guess, plus I saw them A LOT back then.

My favorites are:

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Ed

Mood: The voices in my head, telling me to do bad things.

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 02:38 PM

Blood sweat and no tears was one of my all time favorite hardcore albums. Fucking brutal back ups great punchy bass guitar and just fast classic NY hardcore at its best. It was a true hardcore album very little metal thrown in at all and the little that was was just the right amount. I loved this band from the time I got this record up until now. I Cant say enough good things.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:04 PM

everything after "Scratch The Surface" sucks, in my opinion.

confused13

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:10 PM

Just Look around is my alltime favorite album. So many positive memorys - so damn good music and such good times cant explain.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:14 PM

JUST LOOK AROUND.

This record reminds me of everything great about music. Its hardcore at its best. Its fast and has venomous lyrics that speak volumes in every song. I love everything they ever did but this record is my favorite. I ahve been listening to it fro the past 3 days as a matter of fact. It motives me. What can I say?

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICE MAYNE MSHC

^^^^^ WOW MAN .....SERIOUS? :o

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:30 PM

i know i definitely stopped buying thier releases consistently after scratch the surface.
i have Potential for a Fall (single), Call to Arms and Yours Truly, but compared to the older releases, I rarely listen to them.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
Quote:

^^^^^ WOW MAN .....SERIOUS? :o

Definitely serious. "Built To Last" is ok but not good. I can't ever understand why people get so excited when they put out a new album. They started experimenting way too much and it just sucks to me. I'd still go see em live though.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:45 PM

listening to Yours Truly now... it's definitely slower, not quite as tough, maybe a little poppy. although the song Hello Pricks is pretty funny.

DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:45 PM

Can we choose more than one?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:47 PM

i think for the actual poll at the top, no. but you can list as many as you'd like.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:48 PM

Just Look Around is my favorite by far. So many good songs, great lyrics, an album to dance to and just go off.
After that would be Scratch The Surface.

While I don't listen to their newer albums as much as the old ones I wouldn't say they suck. Yuors Truly has some really good shit on there. The only album I'm not really a fan of is Call To Arms. Came off as weak to me.

As for the live stuff, Live In a Dive can't touch Live In A World Full Of Hate. That shit is fuckin hard.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:53 PM

oh yeah? interesting. i haven't heard 'in a dive'. if i remember correctly i was at the show that was used for 'world full of hate'. it was recorded at city gardens, right?

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:55 PM

Can't remember, but now I want to listen to it. Think I'll have to throw that on.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:57 PM

Quote:

You're wrong. About that being an opinion though. Its a fact.
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
Quote:

HEY NOW!

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 04:04 PM

Speaking of SOIA

http://cgi.ebay.com/SICK-OF-IT-ALL-JUST-LOOK-AROUND-PICTURE-...

He also has the Blood, Sweat... picture disc too

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 04:05 PM

HA. I got that picture disc. it came with a Ryker's picture disc, too.

geneterror

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 04:08 PM

We Stand Alone is my favourite just because it is the first SOIA release I owned.
Blood, Sweat and No Tears second because I think it's one of those amazing genre (re)defining releases. It still make sme wanna run around smashing things 15 or 16 years after I heard it for the first time. Those songs are still amazing live!

thedog
Posting Freak

Mood: Deals Gone Bad

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG DUANE
oh yeah? interesting. i haven't heard 'in a dive'. if i remember correctly i was at the show that was used for 'world full of hate'. it was recorded at city gardens, right?

yup

\"thank you very little\"
thedog
Posting Freak

Mood: Deals Gone Bad

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 04:59 PM

i like all their stuff, of course some more than others.
i will probably buy every studio album they put out, because lookin back they were probably
the main band that got me hooked on hardcore music.

Favorite: Just look around

\"thank you very little\"
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
Quote:

HEY NOW!

haha the fact was that you were right, in all seriousness...built to last is decent...but it didnt have any lasting value...unlike the other releases i have no desire to break that one out...to be honest i really dont like scratch the surface either. i think just look around was pretty much the pinnacle of their career and that album along with brightside we're probably the best nyhc was going to get before things went metal.

I've seen them a couple times since built to last and while theyre a great band live...those new songs were pretty boring.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 05:15 PM

I chose Built to Last, but I actually listen to Just Look Around more often. I guess Built to Last holds a place in my heart because it was the first album of theirs I had heard. I didnt really like it at first... it was so different from anything else I was listening to at the time, but eventually it was in heavy rotation and I started slowly picking up their other releases.

And like most other people have said, you can hardly top them live.
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 05:26 PM

Built to last got me hooked on them. Scratch The Surface is a complete album for me. The song Consume helped me leave my very first job after college. Very few songs speak to me like that and that one absolutely did and still does.

There music is so great to me but they just seem like the nicest fucking guys. I have been able to breifly meet Armand and Lou. Very genuine nice guys. For that alone, I will always support them.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top