Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: American Hardcore the Movie - Review by Johnathan Anassis
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 10:44 PM
American Hardcore the Movie - Review by Johnathan Anassis

So... just got back from Park City where I went to support Steve Blush, Paul Rachman and the film "American Hardcore" which made its festival debut at Sundance.

First, the film. As much as I liked the book, I liked the film even better. Steve and Paul really capture the energy and delivery behind hardcore in a way that the printed page never can. Its more impactful, emotional and - surprisingly - funny in a way the book couldn't be.

A mix of new interviews shot over the last year or two, archival interviews and performance footage, news reel and graphics, the film covers the over-arching national bands (Bad Brains, Black Flag), the regional king pins, the personalities, the politics and the sub-plots that made up Hardcore from 1979 or 1980 to 1986 or 1987. The creation, the rise, the fall.

The expected media figures come across great: Henry Rollins, who really digs into what Flag was all about, Ian who is nicely counter pointed in his earnest, intellectual ways by a cutting, cynical and very funny Brian Baker. Harley Flannigan who almost steals sections as the thuggish but insightful rascal king of NY Hardcore, like a character from "Gangs of New York" gone punk. Its great to see the Bad Brains get their due as the band EVERYONE worshiped for their music, yet were frustrated by in every other way. Boston, its personalities and bands, gets a better shake than in the book.

The film makers also overlay the political climate of the time, from Reagan one to administration number two.

The movie ends like hardcore did. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. Its suggested that, by the second Reagan term, the founders burned out, gave up, lots their audiences or tried to sell-out. Funny footage of an arty Black Flag, and the "Metal" Gang Green, SSD and DYS. My take is that nothing this full-on can last...

As for the scene, Sudance is... LA with snow. Bling, free luxury goods, the people, you know...

There was a great premiere party, with the Circle Jerks and DOA playing the Star Bar, sponsored by Vans (great gift bag). I hung out with Joey and Randy Rampage (back in DOA!)for the first time in more years than I want to admit. Still great guys.

Funny, Metallica was playing across the street for a Cargo magazine party (in a club, Harry O's) and "American Hardcore" still had a line down the block. I admit to leaving for a few to check them out live.

DOA also played acoustic at the Gibson lounge.

All in, great movie, great trip and Steve and Paul couldn't have treated me better.

See the movie when it comes out!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 01:09 AM

I so want to see this movie.

I can't believe DOA played there. Doesn't seem like them.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 12:34 PM

I really want to see this too, hopefully it comes to the Nero.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 01:21 PM

ahhh!!! this again. this is killing me i want to see it so bad. last time this thread came up i got ahold of the director. he said there's definately a possibility of a dvd at some point in the future, which is great news. hopefully it'll make it's way to our film festival later this year too

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 04:12 PM

It has to come out on dvd. All us old bastards would buy it.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 04:45 PM

figurin it wont be on any screens in philly and it would eventually be out on DVD?
read the book
2 times almost
great source of info for anyone who really is interested in the roots of it all
haha harley flanagan.....some funny stuff in there
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 05:26 PM

I'm really curious about this movie. I know it won't make it here, so I hope it comes out on DVD. The book was pretty good, but I remember a lot of people getting pissed about rumors being printed as truth and certain situations being blown up to suit an agenda.

Veritas odium parit
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 01:09 AM

i think you have to take anything in life with a grain of salt, but it was a great read and full of info for anyone that grew up on all those bands. a must have in my humble opinion

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
Mute98

Mood: FALSE ALLIANCE!

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 01:59 AM

if this is the movie im thinkin about the main thing that bothered me is that the gorilla buscuits arent in it right? but it seems like a cool movie to watch
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mute98
if this is the movie im thinkin about the main thing that bothered me is that the gorilla buscuits arent in it right? but it seems like a cool movie to watch
Of course they aren't in it, this is about stuff up until '85.

Veritas odium parit
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 11:39 AM

why would the gorilla biscuits be in it anyway?
Mute98

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
why would the gorilla biscuits be in it anyway?

i dont know i just really like them
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 11:31 PM

the book/movie is about the first wave of hardcore. the REAL old school not late 80s stuff

Mute98

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newbreedbrian
the book/movie is about the first wave of hardcore. the REAL old school not late 80s stuff

sorry i just mixed up the years then

Go To Top