Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can I get a little help? (SGR related)
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 02:25 AM
Can I get a little help? (SGR related)

I just finished installing and customizing the message boards on sailorsgraverecords.com, and I was wondering if a few of you wouldn't mind heading over there, registering, and posting a few topics.

If you encounter any bugs, problems, or things that just don't seem right, please let me know

My plan is to make it 'officially' available to the general public Sunday night, so please get back to me as soon as you can. Here's the link: http://sailorsgraverecords.com/boards

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Mute98

Mood: FALSE ALLIANCE!

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 02:35 AM

ok i posted a reply and topic, i see no problems so far. Lovin the new boards!
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 03:26 AM

thats it. I am moving over to SGR. That board is much nicer. Makes the beige a thing of the past. IM MOVIN ON UP! TO THE EAST SIDE. WE FINALLY GOT A PIECE OF THE PIE!

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 08:06 AM

I have to wait until I get home to get my password so I can officialy become a member. I think this board is going to be hurtin in a bit everyone seems to like the new look. I could be wrong though.
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 10:48 AM

Done and Done Bud.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 11:12 AM

I'm currently posting on both boards. Shooting back and forth between screens. Gotta love multi-tasking.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

Mood: pissed off

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 11:25 AM

i'm just waiting on my password to be e-mailed but everything looks great so far.

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 11:37 AM

I have a question/suggestionsf or both the boards. Maybe I'm missing it, but whenever I click on the boards (well, just Thorps in this case) it doesn't go to a new window. So, if I wanna go back to Thorp's site, there's no way for me to do that. I haven't found one. Would that be a good thing to put in the boards? Either make the logo the way back to the site or just add some sort of text linking back to it. If this already exists and I'm missing it, then I'm sorry. Just a thought though.

RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 12:31 PM

Done. The new board looks great by the way :)

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 01:20 PM

Good though, Joe. So I'm clear, you mean that when you click on 'Boards' from the main Thorp site and then enter the actual messageboard area, that there is then no clear way to return to the main site, right?

On both thorp & sgr boards, if you click on the large logo in the top left, it takes you back to the front of the messageboards. But if you click on the "Back to: HOUSE ICON" it will take you to thorprecords.com homepage.

- Does this seem strange to anyone else? Forget what you're accustomed to doing for a minute... does it seem to you that clicking on the large logo should take you to the front of the boards or the front of the site?

- Do you even ever click on the logo, or do you use the text nav at the top and the bottom of each page?

- Are there enough other ways to navigate around the boards if we change those links?

I realize this kind of stuff is kinda nerdy, but usability is important to me, and your input is appreciated.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 01:38 PM

Yah Duane, that is exactly what I meant.

I never even noticed that that little house was there. Me, personally, don't think I've ever really clicked on the big logo to get back to the main board page. I generally use the text nav at the top or bottom. Like on the Thorp or SGR home pages, if you click on the big logo, it takes you to the main page. That's what I'm used to on websites so it almost seems natural it would work for the board. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way though. Could be.

MPowers8

Mood: SGR radio

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joemaconmovies
Yah Duane, that is exactly what I meant.

I never even noticed that that little house was there. Me, personally, don't think I've ever really clicked on the big logo to get back to the main board page. I generally use the text nav at the top or bottom. Like on the Thorp or SGR home pages, if you click on the big logo, it takes you to the main page. That's what I'm used to on websites so it almost seems natural it would work for the board. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way though. Could be.

Joe I think I need you to show me how to work these boards....I'm half a retard
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 04:28 PM

OK, joe, here's what i did to the board on sgr. tell me if this makes sense...
- the big logo in the corner takes you to the site homepage
- added "SGR home" to the beginning of the text nav under the logo
- changed the house icon to say "Back to Message Board Home"
- added "Sailor's Grave Records | Message Board Home " to the footer of every page.

Let me know if you think that helps clear up the navigation around the board and back to the site.

OH, and I've only done this on SGR. If people are ok with it, i'll do it on thorp as well.

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
OK, joe, here's what i did to the board on sgr. tell me if this makes sense...
- the big logo in the corner takes you to the site homepage
- added "SGR home" to the beginning of the text nav under the logo
- changed the house icon to say "Back to Message Board Home"
- added "Sailor's Grave Records | Message Board Home " to the footer of every page.

Let me know if you think that helps clear up the navigation around the board and back to the site.

OH, and I've only done this on SGR. If people are ok with it, i'll do it on thorp as well.

I noticed all the changes. I think it helps clear things up personally, especially for people who just join the board. Maybe the big logo thing was just something I'm used to on other websites but it looks good to be.

And Mark...I'll show you anytime bro. Just ask away.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 05:17 PM

BD, I keep noticing weirdness with the "new comments" icons. I'll leave the window open after reading the latest batch of comments while doing other stuff and then refresh the page when I come back to it and several of the topics will show icons indicating there are new posts on topics where I've already read the last comment or even where my comment is still the last one.

Veritas odium parit
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 06:49 PM

Fuck, it was only mildy annoying to me before I posted about it, now it's driving me absolutely apeshit. There's even a few times where the icon representing twenty or more new posts has popped up on threads where I'm the most recent poster and sometimes even reopening the thread and leaving it there for a bit doesn't make them go away.....fuckin' shit, little details dig holes in my brain sometimes.....

Veritas odium parit
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 09:28 PM

shit like that is going to vary so widely from user to user, there's little i can do about it. there are so many variables, mainly having to do with cache and cookie settings on the user's machine, that it can be tough make work consistently.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 11:05 PM

Weird, I don't think I've ever noticed any shit like that over on this board. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get used to it and it'll quit buggin' me. I still think the site and the boards look awesome.

Veritas odium parit

Go To Top