Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sleeves R Us
dmcink

Mood: New Breed Cheers To Beers

[*] posted on 12-8-2004 at 02:29 PM
Sleeves R Us

What the hell is up with all these 18-22 year old HC and 'punk' kids getting completely sleeved up in six months time? It seems like so many bands, esp. current pop punk trendies, are getting heavily tattooed overnight. Usually pseudo-Japanese and old-school designs. Man, I fucking love tattoos. I managed a shop for two years and have been getting inked since I was 18, which wasn't yesterday. I have a lot of work, but it was spaced out over time. There's a time for getting ink...when it means something to you...and for most of us, when we can afford it. I wonder how many of these kids know the meaning behind any of their ink? What the fuck is up with an 18 year old getting an anchor design when they probably never stepped out of their suburb, let alone hit the high seas?
Of course, I'm sure most of the kids have best intentions, but too much of acceptance of a culture like tattooing ain't good for it.
Cheers,
Dmcink
Big Ugly

[*] posted on 12-8-2004 at 03:45 PM

I know what you mean. I got my first tat about 12 years ago. Unfortunately I haven't got anything done in like 3 years cause I have way too many bills to pay and no cash. I'm fuckin dying to get some more ink. I get pissed off when I see these 18 yr old kids with so much work done because 9 times out of 10 it was paid for by mommy and daddy. Wish I was so lucky.

SAAAAARS
Posting Freak

Mood: madball

[*] posted on 12-8-2004 at 10:28 PM

i want a tattoo when i turn 18.. but it's because i've been thinking about it for a whilllle. and it's going to mean something and not just be for looks. oh well. can't please everyone.

dmcink

Mood: New Breed Cheers To Beers

[*] posted on 12-8-2004 at 11:42 PM

Good for you man. Get something you think you honestly give a damn about. I'm not trying to slag all tattooed young folk; just the ones who take the credibility out of the art form by ingesting it Wal Mart-style.
Hate, hate, hate...ha ha
Cheers,
Dmcink
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 01:21 AM

i completely agree. i keep seeing full outline of a sleeve and then filled in. what the fuck is up with that? unless you're lyle tuttle that's just lame. each one ive gotten was a time and a place in my life. i was 18 when i got my first one and im only up to 6 now although i keep gettin bigger ones. damn this thread, i need some new ink.
SAAAAARS
Posting Freak

Mood: madball

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 02:32 AM

i re-read ths post and it's really funny..
one of my bestfriends definitely has an anchor. bouncing souls style.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 05:32 AM

there are a few things that annoy me about the mainstreaming of tattooing, primarily having to do with the elimination of traditions and customs...

first we have the popularity of hand and neck/face tattoos. there was a time, not that long ago, when this was pretty rare. sure people would get them, but usually you would have to know an artist quite well, or be very established within the tattoo scene before someone would do it. why? there were enough negative connotations associated with being heavily tattooed, that artists generally wouldn't go beyond the cuff or the collar because they didn't want further any stereotypes. these days, in new york city, i must see a dozen people a day with neck and hand tattoos. and the interesting thing is that they're not sleeved bikers or punk rockers; they're homeboys and homegirls. they might have one other visible tattoo on their arm or something, and that's it. you can read more about that here.

the other thing has to do with the meaning behind traditional designs. this is a tough one for me because i am all for creativity, uniqueness, and making a tattoo design your own, but i also think respecting tradition is important. you see this a lot in japanese tattoos; things like, certain flowers would never be included in certain motifs because the flower would not be in bloom during the time of year that the tattoo depicts, or not using two animals in the same piece because of the themes they represent. seems like nobody cares about that these days. more on that here. "just gimme what looks cool!"

that's why I always like the maori's position on their traditional tattoos... "don't take our picture, don't copy our designs." their traditional moko tattoos are so closely tied to their identity, that copying one is literally comparable to identity theft. read up here and here!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 05:35 AM

i laughed when a band from ny/nj came through, this is hell...
they had BRAND NEW sleeves, i mean still scabbing, and all this rad gear like messa boogs triples... and i was like, fuck you dudes. They were nice and all but still come on.... whta the dfuck.
LilOz
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 07:07 PM

I definitely want some stuff done, but right now I can can barely afford college/music/shows/going out. I am also trying ot moveout my parents again so that is going to take some saving up to do. I wouldn't sacrifice any of these in the first place. I definitely know I wouldn't get anything that shows either due to jobs and the fact tats are for yourself so I'd figure I'd like to be the only one looking at them, know it sounds weird just my opinion on it.

Much love for anyone who has the creativity to gut full body work like sleeves with meaning behind them.
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 06:29 PM

i have sleeves and it has taken about 14 years...
I also have my full throat done to my jaw line...
as well as my arm pit....
no hands yet but still eventually I will
the only reason I don't get more work, is my artist is about to live 2000 miles from me, and I can't take off work long enough for them to heal....
can't get my hands done and print...
oh no

oh and here is how these kids are getting thier sleeves
bitch ass

DAN SMASH
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 03:01 PM

this bloke goes into a tatooists and asks for a ?10 note to be tatoo'ed on his cock.
the tatooist says "ok dude, whatever, but i gotta ask, why?"
the bloke replies " first off, i like to feel money in my hand, and secondly when i get home, i wanna see how fast the missus can blow THIS tenner!"

Jeff trhe Greek

Mood: The Tossers

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 10:39 AM

This is definitely something that drives me nuts, I've been getting tattooed for 20 years and some of these kids have 3 times the tatts I've got. Like Brian said, my tattoes relate to my life. You could stand these kids up in shop and pick flash off them because thats all it is, Flash, in every sense of the word. And Dan, I've got the word "SWAN" tattoed on my dick, but when I get a hard on it says "SASKATCHEWAN".

Don\'t blame me, I voted for Kodos.
DAN SMASH
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff trhe Greek
This is definitely something that drives me nuts, I've been getting tattooed for 20 years and some of these kids have 3 times the tatts I've got. Like Brian said, my tattoes relate to my life. You could stand these kids up in shop and pick flash off them because thats all it is, Flash, in every sense of the word. And Dan, I've got the word "SWAN" tattoed on my dick, but when I get a hard on it says "SASKATCHEWAN".

hahahaha! :)

Killthehumans

Mood: simon and garfunkal

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 01:40 PM

I have zero tattoo,no peircings why? what if someday i become a secret agent or the leader of a world wide resitance? I need to be like a chameleon man...
Jeff trhe Greek

Mood: The Tossers

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Killthehumans
I have zero tattoo,no peircings why? what if someday i become a secret agent or the leader of a world wide resitance? I need to be like a chameleon man...

Funny you mention that cuz when I was in the military it was a rule of mine not to get any unit tattoos, lots of guys did. I always used to ask them what happens if you get captured? They'll know exactly what unit your from. I'll never get captured they'd say. One of them did, and he was held by the Serbs for over a month. Just a little sidenote. So maybe one day you'll be the leader of a worldwide resistance, but you should be cool as long as you don't get a tattoo that says "LEADER OF THE WORLDWIDE RESISTANCE". So many people are tattoed these days that its probably more identifieing (?) not to have any.

Don\'t blame me, I voted for Kodos.
RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 09:18 PM

hahaha.. i remember those shirts.. someone posted that site on here before. Those are aweful. Pay $80 to look like an asshole!

Quote:
Originally posted by defstarsteve
i have sleeves and it has taken about 14 years...
I also have my full throat done to my jaw line...
as well as my arm pit....
no hands yet but still eventually I will
the only reason I don't get more work, is my artist is about to live 2000 miles from me, and I can't take off work long enough for them to heal....
can't get my hands done and print...
oh no

oh and here is how these kids are getting thier sleeves
bitch ass

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 03:03 AM

shes got nice tits though...
DAN SMASH
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-16-2004 at 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GabeTexasGAMC
shes got nice tits though...

i think she has a pretty face.

GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

[*] posted on 12-16-2004 at 10:56 PM

a pretty fucked up face. she looks like a tired lesbian thats had her face in ass too long.
Killthehumans

Mood: simon and garfunkal

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 02:08 PM

she looks like she belongs at a phish concert
jason kills

Mood: early man

[*] posted on 12-21-2004 at 02:11 PM

i've been piercing for about years now. anybody here who pierces/tattoos knows that the piercer is sort of th e"crash test dummy" for the artists in the shop. pretty much it goes like this:

artist - hey, i just drew up this _______ and i want to tattoo it on someone.
me - whoa, that's rad
artist - sit down. i'm tattooing you.

i'm EXTREMELY covered (full neck, throat, hands, sleeves, legs up to calves, full upper torso), and i'm still young (23), but my shit sort of came about due to my surroundings.

shit, i think i had a full sleeve by the time i was 20, not to mention tons of other shit, but it was mostly due to the fact that the artists were bored.

all gods are golden calves
Big Ugly

[*] posted on 12-21-2004 at 05:26 PM

Lucky bastard. I'd have full sleeves if I had any money.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 05:11 PM

i had half sleeves on both arms by time i was 20, that was 10 years ago. in that time there wasnt so much of it in the mainstream, outside of my circle of friends and underground music. the guy who did mine back then flat out refused to do hands and necks. I havent gotten any in 7 years due to not really knowing of a good artist to go to / what id want or time and money. if i could go back and take a couple off i would , probably 40% of them ..but fuck it i was a screwy kid into screwy music. i will get more eventually. when i take my kid out to the mall or something i cant believe how many goofy teenagers i see with chinese letters on their necks or big ghetto letters or whatever...and just for the record, one thing i cant quite understand is all these professional athletes with all their money still get jail house quality tattoo work done...i mean seriously...minus that guy grisinski or however his name is spelled who played on the eagles, a guy i know did all of his stuff....www.michalleboffe.com

i think thats his site
GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GabeTexasGAMC
a pretty fucked up face. she looks like a tired lesbian thats had her face in ass too long.

Holy shit im a rat bastard... seriously, what the fuck is wrong with me.

Dudes... Slap me when i start saying stupid shit like this... really.
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 08:42 AM

Do you guys think Chinese or Japanese kids get English Words tattooed on them?

When it comes to tattoos, get what YOU want. Fuck what everybody thinkgs. Think about what you want for a long time. You will regret a spur of the moment choice.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top