Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Bands you don't like but everyone else seems to.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICE MAYNE MSHC
ok..like I said, I don't take any offense to that. The misinterpreted way was funnier though. Thanks for passing our CD along.

Hey..............it's what I'm here for.
KyleOz
* CHOPS OF DOOM *

Mood: Social Distortion

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 05:42 PM

Coalesce
Cold War
Champion
Zombie Apocalypse
Shattered Realm
Kids Like Us
Set Your Goals

angus yeoman: what are cats supposed to do? distract you from the fact that you\'re distracted by everything else?

http://www.myspace.com/kyleoz
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 05:45 PM

dont get me started....
most anything a "hardcore kid" would listen to today
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XnMeX
Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:
Originally posted by SAAAAARS
i can't believe how many people said hatebreed........

we're old.... please forgive us.

I think it has to do more with their exposure than their sound. If they were still indy, I bet it would be different.
Actually, I've pretty much hated them from the first thing I heard, which was way back when they were pretty small. I went to check 'em out at one of those all day outdoor fests and they were playing a very small side stage in front of about twenty people (about half of whom left after a couple songs) and they made me laugh for a bit, then I just wanted to take a nap because I was so bored. I went over to their stage to see why people were throwing their name around as being an up and coming band and left without the slightest clue. The fact that Jasta is involved in pretty much everything that sucks now just adds to my hate for them, it's not the main cause.

Veritas odium parit
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 06:13 PM

please enlighten me on what is "good" saint, just curious, you definitely have the strongest opinions on things. music is very personal, so i'm curious as to what is acceptable in your world. hatebreed is not a favorite of mine by any stretch but please, go for it....
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 09:48 PM

Enlighten you on what's good? That's a tall order. I'm not even sure exactly what you mean by that, so I'll try to carve a little section out of what I assume you might be looking for and try to answer that.

I'll limit this to Hard Core just to simplify. Some of the first HC bands I heard are still some of the best in my opinion even though a lot of kids in the current HC scene would claim that they're Punk bands and not HC. As I was coming up in Punk I got a tape that had been passed around a bit. It had two bands on it, a local one and a "bigger" band. I must have been about 10 when I heard it and it absolutely blew me away. I had been listening to The Cramps, some Sex Pistols, and still a lot of stuff that I grew up on like Kiss and Alice Cooper and this tape made me wonder what else I was missing. The local band is now legendary in a lot of circles, The Big Boys. I've still never heard anyone come close to replicating their formula and think they'll always be one of the most original, fun, creative, and intense bands. The other side of the tape had a lot of early songs from a little band called Black Flag. I don't think I need to say much about them here, but the songs on there were all from before Rollins joined the band and Ginn decided to get weird and boring. Those bands set the bar pretty high for anything that I heard after that.

A few years later I was turned on to some bands from the midwest and a few other places around the country. That raised the bar again, at least in terms of balls out rage filled HC. That stuff was on a tape that had Negative Approach, The Necros, early Die Kreuzen, Poison Idea and a few others. A while after that I sobered up and part of what helped me feel that I was not alone in fighting the urge to get dragged back into my addiction was Straight Edge music. My favorite of all those bands was Slapshot, but I liked a bunch of the usual suspects from that time, Youth Of Today, No For An Answer, Uniform Choice, and later on Judge. Slapshot is the only one I can still listen to without it mostly being a nostalgia fest, but occasionally I'll play some of that stuff and it's all much better than the vast majority of current HC bands. Not the smallest reason for that is the fact that most bands out there now are either ripping those bands off or are just adding Slayer riffs to what those bands brought to the table. I find VERY few bands that come out these days are coming from the same place any of the old bands who were interesting were coming from.

Around that same time, I got into a lot of NYHC. I loved Sick Of It All, Side By Side/Alone In A Crowd, Breakdown, Raw Deal/Killing Time and I really found a classic when I stumbled on Sheer Terror. It's sad to me that even though there are more bands than ever and more pop up every day, fewer and fewer of them bring anything worthwhile to the table. The HC scene has become so incestuous and cannibalistic that almost everybody sounds like a shitty version of some band from not too long ago. I guess that's fine with a lot of people, but it's not good enough for me.

I realize that pretty much everything that can be done has been done, but there are occasional glimpses of new takes on old themes that still get my blood pumping. There's bands like The Bad Vibes that blend so many of the things I love in such an unapologetically pissed off way that I can't help but love 'em. There's the Slumlords who put so much humor and love for what they're doing into everything that I just hafta chase down everything they do. I had literally given up on HC when I heard Blood For Blood. They gave me hope that there were people who saw it the same way I did and had the guts to pull it off.

I dunno if that's really the kind of answer you were looking for, but that's what I got for you right now.

Veritas odium parit
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 04:32 PM

i just enjoy hearing peoples opinions on what they like and dislike. i know there are alot of shitty bands, but there are also people that like certain shitty bands. to me music is very personal and different things can be taken from each band and their songs. so i appreciate your response.
sippers

Mood: face value-the price of maturity

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Enlighten you on what's good? That's a tall order. I'm not even sure exactly what you mean by that, so I'll try to carve a little section out of what I assume you might be looking for and try to answer that.

I'll limit this to Hard Core just to simplify. Some of the first HC bands I heard are still some of the best in my opinion even though a lot of kids in the current HC scene would claim that they're Punk bands and not HC. As I was coming up in Punk I got a tape that had been passed around a bit. It had two bands on it, a local one and a "bigger" band. I must have been about 10 when I heard it and it absolutely blew me away. I had been listening to The Cramps, some Sex Pistols, and still a lot of stuff that I grew up on like Kiss and Alice Cooper and this tape made me wonder what else I was missing. The local band is now legendary in a lot of circles, The Big Boys. I've still never heard anyone come close to replicating their formula and think they'll always be one of the most original, fun, creative, and intense bands. The other side of the tape had a lot of early songs from a little band called Black Flag. I don't think I need to say much about them here, but the songs on there were all from before Rollins joined the band and Ginn decided to get weird and boring. Those bands set the bar pretty high for anything that I heard after that.

A few years later I was turned on to some bands from the midwest and a few other places around the country. That raised the bar again, at least in terms of balls out rage filled HC. That stuff was on a tape that had Negative Approach, The Necros, early Die Kreuzen, Poison Idea and a few others. A while after that I sobered up and part of what helped me feel that I was not alone in fighting the urge to get dragged back into my addiction was Straight Edge music. My favorite of all those bands was Slapshot, but I liked a bunch of the usual suspects from that time, Youth Of Today, No For An Answer, Uniform Choice, and later on Judge. Slapshot is the only one I can still listen to without it mostly being a nostalgia fest, but occasionally I'll play some of that stuff and it's all much better than the vast majority of current HC bands. Not the smallest reason for that is the fact that most bands out there now are either ripping those bands off or are just adding Slayer riffs to what those bands brought to the table. I find VERY few bands that come out these days are coming from the same place any of the old bands who were interesting were coming from.

Around that same time, I got into a lot of NYHC. I loved Sick Of It All, Side By Side/Alone In A Crowd, Breakdown, Raw Deal/Killing Time and I really found a classic when I stumbled on Sheer Terror. It's sad to me that even though there are more bands than ever and more pop up every day, fewer and fewer of them bring anything worthwhile to the table. The HC scene has become so incestuous and cannibalistic that almost everybody sounds like a shitty version of some band from not too long ago. I guess that's fine with a lot of people, but it's not good enough for me.

I realize that pretty much everything that can be done has been done, but there are occasional glimpses of new takes on old themes that still get my blood pumping. There's bands like The Bad Vibes that blend so many of the things I love in such an unapologetically pissed off way that I can't help but love 'em. There's the Slumlords who put so much humor and love for what they're doing into everything that I just hafta chase down everything they do. I had literally given up on HC when I heard Blood For Blood. They gave me hope that there were people who saw it the same way I did and had the guts to pull it off.

I dunno if that's really the kind of answer you were looking for, but that's what I got for you right now.
god the days of the infamous floating tape that got dubbed over,and over again..the 1st one i heard in the 7th grade w/the circle jerks did nothing for me.i'd rather just jam some maiden or priest.i had a halfpipe in my backyard this older kid in the 9th grade came over,and busted out this tape w/suicidal,jfa,and the meatmean..my soul was sold forever changed my life to come..

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 08:54 PM

Yeah, I've heard a shit ton of my friends tell me similar stories about getting ahold of tapes like that. I got a few others, some with no information on them at all. The Big Boys/Black Flag tape I got had nothing but the band names scrawled on each side. I've made tons of tapes for people over the years, but I always make sure to give 'em some info to go on, at least the band name and the song titles.

Veritas odium parit
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top