Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sick of it all is not a hardcore band
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-18-2004 at 05:41 AM
sick of it all is not a hardcore band

Quote:
yeah dude none of the bands on that bill are hardcore
big ass bullshit rock shows with barricades, and ridiculous covers are about as punk as jesus

at least that is what some kid on the txhc board thinks
so I questioned him about it

I feel that is not really a fair statement but everyone is allowed their opinion I guess.

I think sick of it all deserves a lot of respect from the hardcore community as they have earned it....

I know it sucks to have kids like your music and to sell records, and that is not the hardcore way of things

I guess it's not hardcore to do what you love for almost 20 years and you should never get paid to do what you love or even make a living at it and not be forced to have a shitty day job or have your parents support you

this is especially true if you are any kind of an artist because if you do you're a sell out

and to be able to make a living off of playing music with out having any radio air play or mtv rotation, I guess if that makes you a rock star, even though you haven't changed your style.... well rock on dude

maybe they learned a few new cords and scales in damn near 20 years but I don't remember hearing any ballads on any sick of it all records.... other then sanctuary my personal favorite soia song of all time

to say they are not a hardcore band I think is just not fair to the legacy of what they have done for hardcore

oh but they sell records and were on a major label for 5 minutes so the undermines everything they have done

as for the other bands on the show, I won't comment, as I don't have an opinion on them since I rarely listen to them,
but I have to ask what it is that you use as a qualifier to judge a band as hardcore or punk?

is it playing intense heart felt music in a diy style?

is it about doing floor shows all your life and having nothing to show for all the love and emotion you put into it other then a few 7's that some fat kid in Kansas will horde till you break up and sell on eBay and make more money then you ever did in your life?

or is it about the memories about hanging with friends and getting love and respect back from the community that you put your heart and soul into?
these are just the opinions of a jaded old man and don't take them personally as I am not attacking you, but just wondering what has happened to the time when no matter what hardcore band was coming thru or playing local or national everyone went? Is everyone just too damned spoiled now?

just so you guys know the other bands on the bill were hatebreed, full blown chaos, terror and no warning...
and yes it was at a shitty metal club and it was 22.50 but does that change them into rock stars?
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

Mood: Quite nice actually.

[*] posted on 12-18-2004 at 09:08 AM

i smell a fight a brewing.
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 12-18-2004 at 10:03 AM

fuck i'd love to go to that show.

newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 12-18-2004 at 12:52 PM

thats such a load of bullshit. usually the people throwin around the term sellout are stupid kids still livin with mommy with no life experience. SOIA were and are still amazing. i still think built to last is the best record theve ever put out, kinda kills the sellout theory right there. doin things on your own terms for 20 yrs and developing a large following in the process, yeah thats totally lame ;) people love to throw that around about social distortion all the time too. "they should play for $4". right, thats all well and good when you're 16. the fact is balancing between working a dead end job and trying to get out and tour is difficult at the best times. i can imagine that gets way more precarious with bands at that level, especially after 20-25 yrs of doin it. anyone ever read get in the van by henry rollins? well worth a read, its all tour diary stuff from the time he joined black flag to the time they broke up. even at the height of their popularity they couldnt afford to eat.
ENDERA.x
Posting Freak

Mood: Icepick

[*] posted on 12-18-2004 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
fuck i'd love to go to that show.

hey yeah,

steve that kid is obviously out of his tree.

thats like saying canada doesn't have immigrants.

-

there are bands that fo real sell out, like Simple Plan for example, a good example, used to be a band called Reset, played real skate punk tunes, then met someone, changed there name, changed everything they ever did, don't even talk about their past... thats sellin out.

a band that gets big or rather, more recognized than others because people love them (and in this case for playing music for 20 years), thats not selling out, this guy needs to get a clue.

GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 12-18-2004 at 01:22 PM

BUT THEY DONT....
do they?
hahahahahah
ENDERA.x
Posting Freak

Mood: Icepick

[*] posted on 12-18-2004 at 01:23 PM

haha ^

defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-18-2004 at 01:40 PM

what's worse than this....
is some dolt from dallas who is in a "hardcore" band, was all stoked on going to the hatebreed show, he was corrected to say the sick of it all show....
and he then replied he had never listed to sick of it all, he knew the name but nothing more....

kids today and their lame ass excuses for hardcore
I love thorp
LilOz
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-18-2004 at 02:34 PM

What a knucklehead

That looked like a really fun show
cary thrasher

Mood: watching soia

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 01:59 PM

i can't think of a band more hardcore than soia. they've been consistantly at it for almost 20 years. they haven't changed their style at all, when you consider that they've just become better musicians. same four guys, for what, like 15 of the 20 years? that's dedication.

f.u.m.f.
drummerpahc

Mood: Anything Hardco

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 02:03 PM

Sick Of It All is too a hardcore band. Who the hell came up with that bull crap? Damn yuppy.

drummerpahc
xoversux

Mood: DYS SSD

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 09:26 AM

I just saw SOIA 10 times in the past month. Trust me, they are a hardcore band.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 12:32 PM

One of the best bands EVER!

PERIOD.

If you diss this band your not hardcore
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 12-21-2004 at 01:18 PM

I saw SOIA over the weekend. Complete Pro's and from the heart. I have seen them maybe 6 times over 10 years and then just get better live. They are very approachable and respectful. Not hardcore? These guys are real and that IS Hardcore.
Mikey216

Mood: Human Demise

[*] posted on 12-21-2004 at 08:40 PM

That's a good show, I think its coming near me soon. I'd go if I had the money right now.

Cross me again and we\'ll see... you\'ll be the one to fucking pay!
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 12-26-2004 at 08:50 PM

greatest ever

Go To Top