Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Celebrating my daughter's second birthday.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-25-2006 at 11:57 PM
Celebrating my daughter's second birthday.

Today was my daughter's second birthday, and as a lot of you know, there is good cause to truly celebrate such an event. Born three months premature, she weighed just over a pound and a half at birth. During her 92 days in Columbia Presbyterian's NICU, she fought to overcome a number of life-threatening medical issues that arose because of her extreme prematurity.

To celebrate the remarkable progress she has made over the past two years, my family and I are participating in the annual Walk America event for the March of Dimes this Sunday. Last year, we raised $2,500. This year, we're going for double that, but we need your help.

Anything you can give would be greatly appreciated. Please visit http://www.walkamerica.org/teamsadie to read more about what my girl has been through and the challenges facing other premature and low birth weight babies.

You can make contributions directly through that address, or even a pledge (then I'll be in touch with PayPal info or a mailing address).

Honestly, Sadie is lucky to have survived at all, let alone wound up in such (generally) good health. I can't look at the photos from when she was in the hospital with a dry eye, and it tears me apart to think about the suffering those helpless little babies endure. We've all got different priorities and causes in our lives, so I understand if you can't contribute, but if you can, please do. It sounds cliche, every little bit helps.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Lowlife

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 12:17 AM

Congrats to her! She is just adorable. And it makes me happy that she has the health.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 12:29 AM

Congratulations BD, to you, your family, and most especially to your little girl.

Veritas odium parit
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 12:30 AM

congrats big d
she is a trooper and you know we got the shirts for your walk
thedog
Posting Freak

Mood: Deals Gone Bad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 01:18 AM

congrats Big D & Family.
glad to hear things are well.

Happy Birthday Little S.

\"thank you very little\"
GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 04:48 AM

jesus christ! shes gonna be huge like her daddy!
In girls, thats not such a good thing sometimes!
Glad everythings working out with you dudes.
Raise some money homies!
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 06:18 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SADIE and Family!!!!!

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 10:34 AM

Happy birthday Sadie! Keep going strong.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 10:52 AM

She is such a beautiful child duane.
I wish the best of luck for you and your family.

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 11:14 AM

amazing! she's beautiful. I'll check out that link a bit later.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 11:30 AM

Thats fucking great Duane. Im going to see what I can come up with and Ill send something.

Happy Birthday to Sadie!!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 11:44 AM

Donation complete. Always willing to help out the Shorties.
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

Mood: Quite nice actually.

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 11:47 AM

Happy B day Sadie...Duane I want to see my money's worth out of this. Post some photos of you guys doing the walk and we'll call it even. Good luck.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 11:48 AM

Good news is nice. Happy Birthday Sadie!
(I gotta' go there's something in my eye..)

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 03:22 PM

amazing how fast they grow up, my coworkers boy is gonna turn 3 in july and its been amazing to see him go from a pile of noises to a little person in such a short amount of time, congrats on everything bd
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 03:58 PM

Time flies. Happy birthday Sadie.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 04:40 PM

Happy birthday Sadie!

Duane, man it's awesome she's so big! I was terrified in the weeks coming up to my son's birth... scared of some sort of complication, and in the days after I was scared too. It's fuckin' nerve wracking being a parent, but there's nothing that can ever top it.

There's nothing like coming home to my son at the end of the day.

CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jonnynewbreed
Happy B day Sadie...Duane I want to see my money's worth out of this. Post some photos of you guys doing the walk and we'll call it even. Good luck.

Exactly!
Spoiler
Posting Freak

Mood: All that scene philosophy never meant a goddamned thing to me

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 06:31 PM

thats great BD,glad she's doing well....congrats to you and your wife...and tell lil Sadie that all the Thorpsters hope she has an awesome Birthday.

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 08:11 AM

Congrats on your daughters 2nd birthday!

How long are you taking donations for the walk? I know I can donate to the cause anytime, but just wondering how long I have to help with your family goal.

Also, does it go thru pay pal, off a credit / debit card? Let me know and i'll be sure to send in.

XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 08:49 AM

Everyone check out the stickey topic about this and DONATE DONATE DONATE!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 11:01 AM

You can make an actual donation via debit, credit or PayPal directly through the site.

Or you can make pledge through the site, then send me a check (made out to March of Dimes) or cash, which I then turn in.

Last year, we were recieving donations up to two weeks after the walk.

Pics are coming soon. I gotta go see what Honus is up to now!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 11:55 AM
Picture time

Some of these early photos can be kind of upsetting, so if you wanna skip over them, I certainly understand. It's much harder for me to look at these now that she's home and doing well than it was to actually live through the time when we took them. I guess it's because now I know what I almost missed out on having in my life.

WEEK 1
So, pregnancies last 40 weeks on average. Sadie was born after just 25 weeks. You wouldn't take your Thanksgiving turkey out of the oven after only 2/3 of the recommended cook time, would ya? Well, same deal. This bird was WAY undercooked. She weighed a pound and a half and was 12" long. Her entire body fit in the palm of an adult's hand (we weren't able to actually hold her until about a month later). Children born at this weight have about a 50% chance of survival.

The first two photos are from about seven hours after she was born. They were taken in what's called a Transitional Nursey, where they evaluate the needs of babies before transferring them to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Because her skin was so thin (in some photos you'll see the lights from the different sensors showing right through her feet), they covered her with a sheet of plastic to prevent too much moisture from escaping from her body.

The second two photos are from day 4. In the one, you'll notice that her body was so tiny and her skin so thin, you can literally see her organs.

By the end of the first week, the doctors had her under a special light designed to help fight the onset of jaundice. This is very common in all new borns, regardless of gestation, and I know a few other parents on this board have been through this with their children as well, but it's still pretty scary. I threw in a size reference for the last photo - her entire torso was the size of my glasses.

Oh, and you see that diaper she's wearing? It's literally about the size of a maxipad

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 12:10 PM

WEEK 2

These are from Mother's Day weekend. Great way to spend your first, right? At this point, she was about ten days old.

The bandage on her side is from her heart surgery. The tubes in her nose are not an actual ventilator that breathes for her, but they do deliver air with a higher percentage of oxygen directly to her nose for her to breathe in on her own.

One of the most common issues for kids born this early is that the part of the brain that regulates breathing hasn't fully developed yet (if they were still inside the womb, they wouldn't need this ability, hence...) so they very often just stop breathing because they literally don't know that they need to. As Juan mentioned earlier in the thread, watching you child turn blue can be pretty fucking shocking.

It was around this time that she started pulling those tubes out of her nose, so on occasions, the nurses would have to restrain her by saftey pinning the bandages on her arm to the bed dressings.

The third picture is of me changing her diaper for the first time. Again, here you can really see just how small she was.

Last photo is of her rig. That bed alone costs $80,000.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 12:23 PM

ONE MONTH

In these, she's about a month old. That was the first time we held her. It was also the first time we saw her without a hat. (Obviously, the nurses had taken it off in the past to change her and bathe her, but we had never actually seen it.)

Her stuffed rabbit was still bigger than her at this point.

One of the primary goals of the NICU is to get these kids to put on weight. But a side effect of the feeding tube is that their bellies fill up with air, and they literally have to release the pent up oxygen with a tube after every meal. You can see how big her stomach is in the third photo.

In the last one, Sadie had stopped breathing, and the nurse stimulating her to get her to start again. The philosophy of the hospital that she was in is that they want the kids to learn to breathe on their own as soon as possible, because putting kids on a vent unnecessarily can do more harm than good in the long run. It's kinda like boot camp for baby lungs.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top