Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: How much do you tip tattoo artists?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 11:53 AM
How much do you tip tattoo artists?

A friend of a friend is paying $800 for a half-sleeve. What would you tip for something like that? How much have you tipped for your pieces in the past?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 12:00 PM

I had NO clue what to tip because Im very new to the tattoo world. My first piece was 5 sessions. I gave him the exact ammount he wanted each time until it was done. At the end of the last session I gave him a tip of $70. I thought that was rather high, but I did it because he had given me money off and one session for free because he canceled some apointments. So basicly the piece was $350 and I gave him $70 as a tip. This was for my first tattoo, the 2 girls from the Strangers in Paradise comic.

For the Slapshot mask it was 3 sessions the first 2 sessions he said $100 each and thats what I gave him. At the end of the 3rd session he said $125 and I gave him all that I had with me, which was $140. I thought it would only be another $100 so I was a little short, but I dont think thats TO bad of a tip.

Maybe I can learn if I did well or not based on some answers from the more experieiced tattooed people on the board!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 12:14 PM

depends on the situation (how many hours, who it is, price, etc). don't think i've ever given less than $25 or more than $40

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 12:22 PM

For my first tattoo I had no idea that you were to tip the artist. Good thing my girl was smart enoguh to know. I can't remember how much the tips were since I didn't pay for either of my tats.

serenity

Mood: nikola sarcevic

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 12:42 PM

the thoughts here on tipping your artist is not the same as in the states. i asked a couple of people, and they said that they never tips. they say that spreading the word is tipping enough.

it ends
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 12:42 PM

I've never tipped a tattoo artist. Is this some sort of American etiquette thing? cuz I've never heard of anyone tipping an artist.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
serenity

Mood: nikola sarcevic

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
I've never tipped a tattoo artist. Is this some sort of American etiquette thing? cuz I've never heard of anyone tipping an artist.

exactly what i meant, just summed up better

it ends
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 01:05 PM

I ususally tip 20 bucks a sitting.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 01:07 PM

Yah the people of the United States have some how become guilted into tipping just about everyone. I think that we do it to ourselves because no one really knows when its expected.

I look at a tip as being for someone that goes above and beyond. I was very happy with my tattoo experiences so I tiped what I felt was well. If I was uphappy with the first I wouldnt have tipped at all and I wouldnt have gone back.

The only reason I always tip (even if its very small) in a resturaunt is because I dont want to worry about being remembered and having someone spit in my food.

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 02:07 PM

i get tattooed for free but working in a shop i know that while its not expected, its always nice to tip, esp. if its someone you go to many times over
$20 a sitting is a good call

you come at the king....you best not miss
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 02:49 PM

In America these days, every fuckin body wants a tip, it's ridculous. But the reason for tipping the artist, for you guys overseas, is that the artist has to pay a percentage of the cost of the tattoo to the shop. The tip is extra for the artist to keep for himself. The question I have is do you still tip if your artist owns the shop and isn't paying out to anyone? Where I get tattooed, it's 2 brothers that own everything and are the only 2 artists there. My mom said the fruit that does her hair owns the shop so she doesn't tip the guy.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 02:50 PM

Always tip. I don't care if it's a waitress or a tattoo artist, tipping is important. Most people working in restaurants depend on tips as part of their wages, if you think it's wrong to tip, don't go out to eat. I've known restaurant owners who actually withhold taxes from the wait staff's pay based on an assumed general tip amount. Granted, if I get bad service or something, it WILL be reflected in the tip. I've dated enough waitresses to know how important tips are and to understand tipping as a means of communication. Leaving a tip of a dime is MUCH more insulting than not tipping at all. It shows that you were not happy and that you made a conscious decision to send a message. If you don't tip at all, it's assumed that either you forgot or are just a cheap bastard.

As far as tattoo artists, I always try to give some kind of tip at every session. I don't think I've ever tipped less than 20% of the price I'm quoted for the session and if I couldn't make it that much for that session, I make up for it on the next one. Like most self-employed people, the majority of tattoo artists have no insurance or other benefits that most of us in the regular working world get from our employers. The least you can do for someone who is permanently altering you is to try to keep them happy.

Veritas odium parit
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 02:59 PM

who said tipping is bad when it's deserved? I'm talking about bullshit like tipping people who pump your gas, or tipping your mailman at Christmas, or the garbage man, or tipping the cashier at a pizza place who didn't do shit other than ringing the pizza up and putting it in a box. When it's deserved I always tip nicely.

upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 03:05 PM

I'm by no means a cheap bastard, I tip generously where its expected. Wait staff and bartenders, as you said, are paid minimum wage and depend on gratuities, and hustle their asses off to get them. But tipping an artist is just not something that's done or expected up here. Not in the circles I move in at any rate. If a guy gave me a really kick-ass piece or went above and beyond my expectations I would be inclined to give him some extra cash but I don't know if I consider it a tip.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 06:20 PM

I have 2 full sleeves and have never tipped for a tattoo. I'm not cheap...I tip like 20% at restaurants when the service deems it because they work for reduced wages because tipping is a part of their salary.

Tattoo artists are not working for low wages. They make more than enough money. My return service and recommendations should be more than enough acknowledgement of their work. When they have my artwork ready on time and I don;t have to wait around because they overbook I'll maybe consider it...but I know thats never going to happen so I'm not too concerned.

Juice is right about the tipping everywhere...I like how everywhere on earth you go, from dunkin donuts to starbucks theres tip cups out...give me a break.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
I have 2 full sleeves and have never tipped for a tattoo. I'm not cheap...I tip like 20% at restaurants when the service deems it because they work for reduced wages because tipping is a part of their salary.

Tattoo artists are not working for low wages. They make more than enough money. My return service and recommendations should be more than enough acknowledgement of their work. When they have my artwork ready on time and I don;t have to wait around because they overbook I'll maybe consider it...but I know thats never going to happen so I'm not too concerned.

Juice is right about the tipping everywhere...I like how everywhere on earth you go, from dunkin donuts to starbucks theres tip cups out...give me a break.

they are providing a serive to you that you can not do for yourself
that in and of itself is enough reason to tip

but hey, do what ya like

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 07:01 PM

It's been so long since I got work done I can't even remember. Usually 20 though.

I wish I would get tipped more often by some of these uber rich people whose houses I'm beautifying... They pay my boss something like 300 per man-day, I see 175 of that. When you've got movie screens that descend from your 25 ft ceiling you can afford to throw a little something my way!

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBadVibes
Quote:

but hey, do what ya like

I agree with both of you to some extent, but I do think that it has gotten a little out of hand. Why tip at Dunkin Donuts, but not at McDonalds?

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:
Quote:

but hey, do what ya like

I agree with both of you to some extent, but I do think that it has gotten a little out of hand. Why tip at Dunkin Donuts, but not at McDonalds?

cuz dunkin donuts rulez and mcdonalds is fucked

JUICE MAYNE MSHC

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 07:20 PM

tip jars for some touring band's buttfucker merch guy irritate the shit outta me.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 07:37 PM

when it comes to eating, i only tip for sit-down service or delivery. dunkin', mcd's, starbucks, and the like, even pick-up restaurants, get no tip.

i've hired a company to help me move twice. both times, i gave half of a big tip up front, bought lunch, then delivered the second half upon completion. i want those dudes to know up front i'm serious about them taking care of my shit.

if you live in a doorman building in NYC, it is imperative that you tip the staff at the end of the year (part of the reason why i never lived in one). if you don't, services begin slowing down all around you. and in the bigger buildings, this can run you $300+ a year by the time you cover the doormen, front desk staff, maintenance, and management.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICE MAYNE MSHC
tip jars for some touring band's buttfucker merch guy irritate the shit outta me.

oooh, i've never seen that.
i rarely go to shows any more, but when i do, i always try to buy some merch. that shit goes a long way when a band is on the road.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 07:51 PM

as for tattoo artists...

the vast majority of my work was done by one of my closest friends, and he's never accepted cash from me. i've taken him and his girl out to the occasional nice dinner, even bought him a plane ticket to come to my bachelor party in vegas, but he's never taken cash. plus, i've set him up with at least 50 other paying customers over the years. when i was still in school, he'd come down twice a year with a piercer and work on college kids i lined up all weekend.

other than him... Bugs at Evil From The Needle had tea and sandwhiches brought up for us during my sessions, so that earned a fat tip! (cause you all know i like to eat!)

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:

but hey, do what ya like

Theyre being paid to do it. Thats why I'm not doing it myself. I'm already paying them to do it.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top