Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Did this happen to anyone else?
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 12:43 PM
Did this happen to anyone else?

I was wondering if fellow Thorpers went through the same thing....

Having just turned 21, most people on this board are older than me by a few years. I'm finding that the older I get, the more closed-minded I get about music. I used to have a really eclectic music collection. Lately it seems that I've been listening to hardcore/punk/oi almost exclusively. I mean, those have been my favorite genres for years now, but most other shit just pisses me off when I hear it. I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else. Is it age? Is it just me?
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 12:50 PM

I'm 32 and if anything, my musical tastes have broadened exponentially, 99.9974564% of oi/hardcore/metal/punk sucks now and you can only listen to the same albums over and over and over again so many times (and I have about 2500 tapes/cd's/lps...not including mp3's) so I find myself listening to all kinds of stuff I would have shunned as crap 10 years ago.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
I'm 32 and if anything, my musical tastes have broadened exponentially, 99.9974564% of oi/hardcore/metal/punk sucks now and you can only listen to the same albums over and over and over again so many times (and I have about 2500 tapes/cd's/lps...not including mp3's) so I find myself listening to all kinds of stuff I would have shunned as crap 10 years ago.

more or less what he just said....
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 12:54 PM

Quote:

See, this is what I expected to happen, that's why I'm asking the question. And I'll agree with you on the state of punk/hardcore etc...Most of who I listen to is broken up.
beaner

Mood: my kids chattin away.

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
so I find myself listening to all kinds of stuff I would have shunned as crap 10 years ago.

same here. like i said recantly on these boards, ive been gettin into stuff like johnny cash and the like, stuff i thought was shite a few years ago.
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 01:14 PM

i dont like what people call "hardcore"

you come at the king....you best not miss
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 01:21 PM

Ive always had really broad musical taste and I still do. The thing that has changed especially in the last few years is the number of bands that I like. I still like a ton of different styles, but I like fewer bands in each style and I am much more reluctant to new bands.

Im still a sucker for a band with what I consider to be a good 'gimick' though.... I know its kind of lame, but thats what got me into GWAR from before HELL-O came out!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 01:30 PM

when i was 21, i wasn't listening to a wide variety of music - lots of hardcore/metal and lots of raver music. lots of depth, but no breadth. that changed a few years later, in part cause i was older, but also cause took a job in entertainment in nyc and started going to countless live music events.

ultimately, i think it has more to do with how long you've been listening to a particular genre, not necessarily how old you are. i've been listening to hardcore for 18 years, and like MBV said, a lot of what's billed as such today sure ain't what i consider hardcore.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Gooch

Mood: Government Warning

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 02:40 PM

I've never really listened to a lot of different types of music, but at this point in my life at age 33, I probably listen to hardcore 99% of the time. And I mean REAL hardcore. I don't care to listen to anything else. I honestly have no clue what "regular" music is like these days. I'm sure it sucks, so I'm probably no missing anything. I can't even think of the last non-core record I bought. It was probably either that Rancid s/t or DKM 'Sing Loud' and what, both of those came out 6 years ago?
I rarely even listen to bands like Rancid, DKM, Metallica, Slayer and Maiden anymore and I love all of them.
I guess the only time that I was into different types of music was in college, 92-95ish. I was into a lot of the grunge/alternative bands of that era, but I still preferred hc to any of that stuff.

Let me break it down this way. I have 4412 songs on my ipod. I can easily name the non-core records on it....

2 Quicksand
2 Rancid
1 Maiden
2 Metallica
3 Slayer
3 Cure
1 Public Enemy
1 Cypress Hill
1 Neds Atomic Dustbin
1 Danzig
1 Suicidal
1 DRI

That's what, about 250 songs. The remaining 4200 are hardcore.

My mind is Clear, Free from hurt. My mind is Clear, Value its worth!
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 02:52 PM

I go through phases. Ive begun to appreciate more styles as Ive gotten older. Still listen mainly to "hardcore" and metal stuff, but I find some other non-hardcore stuff by accident or whatever. Plus the Mrs. is into different crap from me, but Ive definitely influenced her tastes more than she has influenced me.

Also growing up my parents would always listen to the "lite" station so I have a soft spot for that crap. I dont go out of my way to listen to it, but I'll listen to the "lite" station on the radio if Im in the car and dont have any cds.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBadVibes
i dont like what people call "hardcore"
ENDERA.x
Posting Freak

Mood: Icepick

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Ugly
Quote:

See, this is what I expected to happen, that's why I'm asking the question. And I'll agree with you on the state of punk/hardcore etc...Most of who I listen to is broken up.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 10:43 PM

I shut out the shitty music and let the good stuff in.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 11:21 PM

Quote:

yup that sums it up pretty well. i listen to more country/bluegrass/etc than hardcore these days. can't even tell most of the new bands apart, they all sound the fucking same.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 9-14-2006 at 07:13 AM

When I first got into punk rock I had very broad musical tastes. Through my late 20's I became a bit of a music snob, I didn't really listen to anything beyond 88. These days, though, anything goes. I've actually been getting into more ethnic music, I enjoy when bands incorporate more traditional sounds and instruments into a pre-existing genre.
Its always been about pushing boundaries, hardcore, in effect was pushing the boundaries of punk rock. I remember when we called it "hardcore punk". That got shortened to hardcore. Somewhere along the line the two went their seperate ways. I think hardcore has to get back to its punk rock roots. Teenage kids playing music badly.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 9-14-2006 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ENDERA.x
Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Ugly
Quote:

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’

Go To Top