Author: Subject: A slight overreaction?
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
Don't confuse culture with religion.

also a good point and I won't make that mistake again, thanks.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 10:12 PM

The Bible and the Koran are just children's stories anyway, so I don't know why everyone's so pissed. I blame Bill O'Reilly and Al-Jazeera.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 10:28 PM

Voodoo, it just distresses me to see dudes goin' off like that. I can understand the misperception of Islam because of so-called "Islamic" radicals and because of the propaganda of radical Christians... and it bothers me to no end that back-asswards Arab culture is percieved as what is Islam. That is not the case by any means.

Moreover, my culture is as American as anyone else's on this board(not counting of course our pals in Europe). I was raised next to a corn field in north central Indiana by nominally Christian parents. I converted to Islam about a month before my 21st birthday because I believe in what the Qur'an has to say and I've found alot of beauty in this religion.

Whenever anyone says "fuck Islam" or "the Muslims are going to give you the choice of conversion or the sword"(which flies in the face of the Qur'an's statement of "there is no compulsion in religion") or for that matter when certain fringe neo-cons speak openly about how good and secure it would be to intern the lot of American Muslims... it gets me a little incensed and passionate. Especially since having a kid.

I'll be honest with you and straight say that I DO see the "end times" scenario beginning to come to the fore. I see it this whole thing as a plot manipulated by forces unseen... Christians would call it the Anti-Christ and Satan, Muslims call it the Dajjal and Shaytan. It seems like the Clone Wars in Star Wars... the dark side is running the show on both sides. There're good people on both sides as well... just fighting for what they believe is right and not realizing they're being manipulated. As fucked up as blowing up buses with children, and pizza parlors is... I honestly can't fault the Palestinians for their anger and hatred and resentment. Hell, for their nihilism. This generations grandparents remember when they were driven from their homes for some "chosen people" ideal... can you imagine that? If your future had been pillaged before you were even born by foreigners you'd be pretty pissed... especially if you didn't see much hope around you. Bin Laden is this war's Dooku, and I can't even begin to fathom who the Sidious is...

upyerbum
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 10:45 PM

I've always pictured Tony Blair and Bush as Pinky and the Brain.
You know there was a time when Christians, Muslims, and Jews co-existed (much like humans and fish) peacefully, and shared their knowledge. It spawned The Renaissance, The Age of Discovery, innumerable medical and scientific advancements, but it was all brought to heel by The Inquisition. Incidentally, the current pope, our good friend cardinal Ratzinger headed that fine office prior to becoming pope. The Catholic Church has been scaring the hell out of me lately, they trying to bring back they're political sway, on a local level. I too would like to know who's pulling the strings. But religion is what they are going to use to drive the wedge, or would religion be the wedge? Either way, someone doesn't want us to be friends.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
I've always pictured Tony Blair and Bush as Pinky and the Brain.
You know there was a time when Christians, Muslims, and Jews co-existed (much like humans and fish) peacefully, and shared their knowledge. It spawned The Renaissance, The Age of Discovery, innumerable medical and scientific advancements, but it was all brought to heel by The Inquisition. Incidentally, the current pope, our good friend cardinal Ratzinger headed that fine office prior to becoming pope. The Catholic Church has been scaring the hell out of me lately, they trying to bring back they're political sway, on a local level. I too would like to know who's pulling the strings. But religion is what they are going to use to drive the wedge, or would religion be the wedge? Either way, someone doesn't want us to be friends.

Precisely.

moforn

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 11:41 PM

There's some good discussion going on right here, I've been trying to think of a way to articulate my own thoughts on the matter but at the moment I'm way too tired/drunk to compose any thing that would actually contribute to the discourse.
What I will say though is that it's really nice for once to see an internet forum thread move from name calling and generalizations towards actual dialogue, respect and conciliation rather than vice versa... let this thread be a beacon of hope to humanity;)
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 11:13 AM

Quote:

I'll be honest with you and straight say that I DO see the "end times" scenario beginning to come to the fore. I see it this whole thing as a plot manipulated by forces unseen... Christians would call it the Anti-Christ and Satan, Muslims call it the Dajjal and Shaytan. It seems like the Clone Wars in Star Wars... the dark side is running the show on both sides. There're good people on both sides as well... just fighting for what they believe is right and not realizing they're being manipulated. As fucked up as blowing up buses with children, and pizza parlors is... I honestly can't fault the Palestinians for their anger and hatred and resentment. Hell, for their nihilism. This generations grandparents remember when they were driven from their homes for some "chosen people" ideal... can you imagine that? If your future had been pillaged before you were even born by foreigners you'd be pretty pissed... especially if you didn't see much hope around you. Bin Laden is this war's Dooku, and I can't even begin to fathom who the Sidious is...

I like this metaphor. I do tend to get caught up with emotion sometimes, like us all and tend to let things slip that I don't necessarily whole heartedly believe............just half heartedly. We all face some very complex and scary times,and the powers that be want to keep it that way for sure. I do still have hope, humanity is a powerfull thing when it wants to be. I have a young daughter and fear most for her prospects in all of this. If she decides the Quran makes the most sense to her, I would support her, but I would also not allow her to get caught up in the hate being preached by those using that book as a backbone for their cause. Same with the Bible and Christians. I harbor alot of anger over things done to US citizens for the Governments policies. Radical Muslims do not belong in modern society at all. The Palestinians did get shafted but there has to be a better way of handling it, there just has to be. Our Government needs to clean out some old cobwebs, get some fresh blood and a fresh approach to all of this. Israel has certain rights as well that need to be respected, that is where the hard part lies. This whole scenario has grown into something that seems as though it must be played out to the end, but I refuse to accept that there is not a way to reconcile somehow and find a solution best for all. Bin Laden however HAS to face justice no matter how it plays out. We WILL catch him eventually, I truly and honestly believe this. As far as my end times rantings and such, that's just my own personal fears talking, dosent mean I don't believe it, just means I need to articulate it differently. I am thoroughly enjoying this thread.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 05:21 PM

I'm glad we've come out of the dismal name calling and generalizations.

I just don't trust much of anyone these days. Least of all rich old men grasping onto power and wealth. And I'm skeptical about false piety couched with mass murder.

There's a thing lacking the Muslim world called futuwwah, it means "way of the young man" but is generally understood as chivalry... more precisely spiritual chivalry. I think similar concepts in other cultures in the world are severely lacking in this day and age. In some sense, I feel that this is the root cause of our problems. We don't look at each other and see ourselves there... and we don't see another's faults and see our own glaring right back at us more intensely. Point a finger and there are three more pointing right back at you.

upyerbum
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-24-2006 at 10:10 AM

Can the Thorp board save the world? Onward, Thorp Warriors.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-24-2006 at 11:56 PM

If only... we'd single-handedly save the world AND hardcore at the same time. Think about it.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 05:49 AM

a tried to save both.
neither really wanted to be saved
beaner

Mood: my kids chattin away.

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RomanticViolence
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBadVibes