Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beer
MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 11:10 PM
Beer

So what have you been into lately?

I typicaly enjoy Guinness and the Champagne of beers, but lately Sam Adams has kept my attention and my beer funds. I even like the "light" beer they have. And until then I never drank a light beer I enjoyed.

Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 12:00 AM

Bud and New Castle, although the latter is much harder to come by.
SAAAAARS
Posting Freak

Mood: madball

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 12:03 AM

always: bud light
special: PUMPKINHEAD <3

DeathByForce

Mood: H2O

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 03:04 AM

MMMMM Newcastle Brown!

\"rap isn\'t music\" - mozart
SlobDylan

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 06:36 AM

Sam Adams is usually the beer of choice. I like the scotch ale but I haven't seen it in a long time.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 08:05 AM

Diet Pepsi Lime Mmmmmmmmm! ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 08:21 AM

Budweiser
Miller

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SlobDylan
Sam Adams is usually the beer of choice. I like the scotch ale but I haven't seen it in a long time.

A friend of mine bought the brewmasters collection case. It had many different types along with scotch ale. I gotta admit I wasnt feelin the scotch ale too much. Black lager was the best.

Real excited for the winter lager to come out.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 09:39 AM

newcastle, bass, yuengling. and for a REALLY good night... samichlaus. holy shit, that stuff is delicious and at 14%, gets you fucked up quick. brewed for over 300 years. anyone ever had it?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RomanticViolence
Budweiser
Miller

goddamn right!!!!!!!!
of course because of military standards I usually have to stick to light versions of both, but hey, it's either light beer or no beer...............so leave me alone Discipline, you beer Nazi!:P
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 09:46 AM

really enjoying octoberfest brews, sam adams, saranac
MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
anyone ever had it?

Nope you should send me some :-)

Do you buy it here in PA?

thedog
Posting Freak

Mood: Deals Gone Bad

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 02:20 PM

yuengling
harp
amstel light
coors light = cause its cheap

\"thank you very little\"
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 02:47 PM

I ahve a complaint. I have not been able to get SAM ADAMS octoberfest. Distibution is behind huge they say at the stores. I am stuck with bluemoon pumkin ale. I still haven't had it so well see. Footbaqll this sunday so I may break down and drink it unless sam Adams gets his stuff together and makes me some good beers.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
newcastle, bass, yuengling. and for a REALLY good night... samichlaus. holy shit, that stuff is delicious and at 14%, gets you fucked up quick. brewed for over 300 years. anyone ever had it?

^^^^^^ I never heard of it but I will call the store today and ask about it. Sounds very good.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 02:48 PM

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale. I havent really been drinking much beer lately, but those are the two Ive had the last few times.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 03:04 PM
Samichlaus

I haven't looked for it in PA yet. It can be hard to find, cause it's seasonal. It is very much a winter beer - it's heavy, it's filling, and it's got a nice, distinct flavor. i don't think it's something you could drink regularly, but put down three or four of these in an evening with friends, and you'll be WELL off. Some more info below.

----
One of the rarest beers in the world, brewed only once a year on December 6th, subsequently fermented and matured for about 10 months before bottling in October. Thus Samichlaus is a vintage beer and with around 14 % of alcohol by volume the strongest bottom-fermented lager in the world. Samichlaus may be aged in the bottle for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particularly with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself - as a companion for meditations at the fireplace... Samichlaus is filled in personalized 330 ml. bottles, exported to exclusive distribution partners' worldwide mainly through pre-orders prior to bottling in October each year. Samichlaus contains only natural ingredients and is being brewed according the purity law of 1516.
----

----
Samichlaus Bier

?Samichlaus? beer is brewed once a year, in each case on December 6th, and stored and matured afterwards for over 10 months before it is bottled. "Samichlaus? beer can mature for many years in the bottle; older vintages obtain a complexity and receive their creamy warm aftertaste. This beer can be served with heavy meals and desserts, particularly with chocolate - or as digestive and meditations drink. According to the Guinness Book of Records, it is the strongest lager beer in the world with 14 % alcohol and 32? original extract content. It is brewed exclusively of natural raw ingredients after the purity requirement of 1516. ?Samichlaus? beer is filled in a 0.33 litre designer bottle embossed with Schloss Eggenberg and in barrels of 15 and 30 litres for export.
----

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 03:05 PM

http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000100.html

Mine's a pint of Santa Claus

Try this Michael Jackson chooses a powerful Swiss lager as his Beer of the Month

The strongest lager in the world is called Samichlaus, which means Santa Claus in the Swiss-German dialect of Zurich, where it is made. Its precise potency will vary slightly from one batch to the next, but Samichlaus always has at least 14 per cent alcohol by volume; and has on occasion almost touched 15.

Few occasions call for such a strong brew, but perhaps the stresses and strains of the festive season justify an encounter with Santa Claus in his most powerful incarnation.

Switzerland is among those countries that separate the celebration of Santa Claus, and the giving of gifts, from that of Christmas itself. December 6 is Saint Nicholas' Eve, and that is when each new batch of the potent brew is made, at Zurich's H?rlimann brewery, and laid down to mature in the cold cellars.

It takes almost a year of slow secondary fermentation to develop the full strength of Samichlaus. I can think of no other beer that has such a long period of cold storage (in German, lagering). Nor could the location of the cellars be more appropriate. The whole of the brewery is set into the foothills of the Alps, where the technique of lagering was born (though that was, it must be conceded, on the more easterly side of the mountains in Bavaria).

--
The brewery is coy about this, but the fact is that conventional methods will not easily make a beer so strong.
--

Every now and then, I believe, the brew is moved from one lagering tank to another, in order to restart the secondary fermentation. The brewery is coy about this, but the fact is that conventional methods will not easily make a beer so strong.

All fermented drinks are subject to their own self-regulation: as the fermentation creates alcohol, this stuns the yeast, slowing and eventually stopping the process. The types of yeasts that cause the fermentation of grapes, apples or barley malt each have their different tolerances, and the latter start to become extremely drowsy after having created a beer of about 9 per cent alcohol.

The H?rlimann brewery has made a specialty of training yeasts to behave in unusual ways. Paradoxically, its first trick was to produce a pioneering low-alcohol beer, Birell, 25 years ago. Today, Samichlaus and Birell (0.8 per cent alcohol) are better known internationally than the more conventional lagers produced under the H?rlimann name.

Samichlaus was first made in 1980, when H?rlimann decided to pit its super-yeast against other techniques being used to produce very strong lagers across the German border. The Swiss still seem faintly embarrassed about having entered this unofficial competition, which they saw simply as a bit of fun.

--
In recent years the brewery has accepted the traditional view that Christmas and winter beers should be dark.
--

In the event, the fun caught the attention of beer-hunters worldwide, and Samichlaus has established a place in their hearts. Originally, the brewery tried to make both a pale and a dark version. Trouble was that a beer so dense (original gravity 1228) can hardly be pale, and the Samichlaus interpretation had a markedly ruddy complexion. In recent years the brewery has accepted the traditional view that Christmas and winter beers should be dark.

It seems to have done this almost reluctantly, still using more pale malt than dark, although it employs three different kilnings of the latter. Two varieties of hops are used. Although nearby Bavaria is the most convenient source of barley for malting, and of hops, some of the latter are grown in Switzerland. This may be little more than a patriotic gesture, but the H?:rlimann family are quietly proud that they introduced it. Their corner of Switzerland has a long history of beer-making: the abbey of St. Gallen, founded by an Irish monk after the Dark Ages, was once one of Europe's greatest brewing monasteries. St. Gall would surely have been pleased with the brew of St. Nicholas.

The Samichlaus brewed a year ago yesterday is now in a smattering of pubs and wine merchants in Britain, and it is my Beer of the Month. It has a reddish-brown colour and a malty aroma and taste that remind me of Horlicks with a slug of alcohol added. At such a high gravity, it would be overwhelmingly cloying but for its smoothness (thanks, no doubt, to the long maturation) and that kick of alcohol. Instead, it is creamy, soothing and gently warming.

I had my first Samichlaus of the season in an unlikely place: the fashionable restaurant and "juice bar" Nosmo King, in Manhattan. The juice of the barley was served as an accompaniment to a chocolate dessert. My companion, Florence Fabricant, food and wine writer of The New York Times, felt that no fermented grape could have accompanied the chocolate so well. I was inclined to agree, but had to test her resolve. "Not even a Madeira?" I ventured. "Not even a Malmsey," she responded.

Is Samichlaus, then, a fortified wine of the beer world? I am still inclined to think of it as a restorative, to be served from a wooden cask suspended from the neck of a mountain rescue dog.

While the Swiss make the strongest lager, the British produce the most potent ale: Roger and Out, which has been known to reach 16.9 per cent, brewed at the Frog and Parrot pub in Division Street, Sheffield.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 03:19 PM

st ides
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
st ides

This reminds me to add Olde English to my list. Haven't had it in so damn long.
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 07:24 PM

Shiner Bock, Guinness Draught, or Coors light when I can't scrape the change together for either of the 2 previously mentioned.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 07:41 PM

drank quite a bit of shiner while in austin last year. i liked it alot
i got a beer gift pack from my honey last night for my birthday. im drinkin a troegs nut brown ale from it right now. it is tasty.
one of the great things in having my friend Tommy being a bartender in some of the better places in Philly is that i have been fortunate enough to sample many varietys of beer. he worked at this place Brigids that had tons of Belgian styles and imports as well as american micros.
yuengling chesterfield ale is one of my favorites
yards esa is also good
newcastle
drank alot of coronas last night
sierra nevada also makes some good stuff.
mared souz is a good belgian'
old english 800 and steel reserve for when im on the ghetto tip
thedog
Posting Freak

Mood: Deals Gone Bad

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
st ides

crooked i

\"thank you very little\"
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thedog
Quote:
st ides

crooked i

upper darby was all about rockin the 64 oz Old English jugs when i was a youngin...just the precise amount of liquid crack to make you consider committing crimes...

Go To Top