Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: best break-up statment i've read (KYI)
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 10:48 AM
best break-up statment i've read (KYI)

http://lambgoat.com/news/view.aspx?id=7540

"Yes, KYI is breaking up this summer. I want you to hear it first from someone in the band who can tell you that there is no bad blood, no drama, no in-fighting, no record label problems or legal battles, no sickness or death or anything of the usual break-up sort. We are the best of friends, and we just released our best record ever. That is how we want to end it off.

I want you to hear it from the mouth of one of the guys who started this band, whose biggest dreams when we started it was "Imagine we could play a show with H20, Sick of it all, Sheer terror, AF, or 7seconds? Imagine we played and kids moshed? Imagine we made a 7", or even a full length record, that we didn't have to dub 1000 times on our stereo ourselves?" "Imagine we could go on tour?"

Not only have we accomplished ALL those things 1000 times over, but It's safe to say we accumulated the most sincere, coolest following of any band I can think of. We were never a trendy band. All our fans are for real. I never dreamed any person would get that goofy skull tattooed on themselves, and we have seen hundreds of them. I wouldnt be surprised if I saw hundreds more after we break up. The accomplishments we have achieved in this band are without measure. The only thing we didn't accomplish with this band is make a living doing it...and that is because we truly never sold out. With a following as sincere as the one we have, It's enough for us to know that people all over the world hold us as dear to them as we hold bands like Black Flag. That is worth more to us than money. We always worked for a living, and that hasn't changed. Maybe that is what makes us so special. We are regular guys that play some pretty good hardcore music. We are glad you like it!

After several releases, over 50 different tours in 6 years (we lost count!) across the USA, Canada, Europe, and Asia, and almost 11 years as a band, it's time to say goodbye. Why?

We really can't think of anything else to say with this band, and I think all bands who reach this point should move on, and not try and cheat their fans into buying a record with false poetry in the lyric sheet. After all, we are a hardcore band. If we change our style of music, it wont be KYI. If we continue to write about things that younger people can relate to, we wont be being honest. I can write 1000 more fast hardcore songs, but what are we gonna put to the music, songs about our mortgages?? Our 401k's? Our arthreitis medicine? Our high cholesterol?

No, it's time to move on. Most of us will still be involved in music, hardcore most likely, some of us will not. Maybe we will be involved in some way or another. I'm sure you will see us around after we break up. Paul is in None more Black, and with me in Deathcycle, Brian has Celebrity Murders, Vinny has SSSP, who knows, maybe they will play a show or two. I get the Impression from Andy that he wants a break. Maybe not from HC altogether, but from singing. We'll see. My friend Adam Sax has a saying. "You can't escape hardcore. " He's right. Once you are hardcore, it's with you for life.

Anyway, don't start mourning just yet....We got quite a few shows coming up before we annouce our last shows this summer. I wanna have as much fun as I can with my brothers of 11 years before we pull the plug on this. I hope all of you will share this time with us!

Thanks to all of you who have been there for us and made us what we are.

Kill Your Idols, the name of this band, represented that we are no better than anyone. We didn't want to sepreate ourselves from the audience by doing anything theatrical. We needed you there as much as we needed to be up on stage. Without the stagedives and singalongs, and the energy that only bands like ours and fans like you can spark when we get together, we would be nothing. You have all made us something...something special.

"For those whove been here all along, And helped us feel like we belong, This one goes out to all our friends..."

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
sinister

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 12:26 PM

Damn, they are one of my favourite bands and the only one still touring that i've never seen live. Hope they manage 1 more euro tour before they quit.
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 12:37 PM

Theyre not really touring anymore. I think theyre just weekend warriors as I understand it. Well... WERE weekend warriors. I remember them announcing that last summer I think. They did a long weekend with Bane and that was it. Dude's have full time jobs that they dont want to lose I guess or maybe that was just the singer.
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 01:05 PM

I just saw them play the other night with Forward To Death. Fan-fucking-tastic. Kids were going nuts all over the place. And hardly any of that ninja bullshit, either. Most kids were just going nuts, stage diving, running amok, etc..it was great.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 04:43 PM

Thats too bad they are really nice guys and a great band. I REALLY want that shirt that has the Negative Approach 7" cover on it and says "stop comparing us to Negative Approach" on the back.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 05:23 PM

NIce to see a breakup not surrounded by stupid gossip and rumours.

On a side note, I would NEVER compare them to Negative Approach. No offence to KYI, but they can't touch NA.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 06:56 PM

One of my favorite bands. they were one of the most reliable bands. They never let you down.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 12:11 AM

Never understood how they had this reputation of being Old School style, these guys bored and or annoyed the fuck out of me. I had so many people think I might like 'em and I never heard anything that impressed me. I even made a point of seeing them play when they were in Austin one time and they were horrible. For whatever reason a lot of my opinion of a band rides on the vocals and this guy is fucking painfully bad. It also didn't help that they brutally butchered a Sheer Terror cover on that Punk Rock Jukebox Volume 2 compilation. Honestly, the musical part of that wasn't so bad, it was the vocals again, but if you sound like that, why would you try to cover a band who are known for their vocalist's style?

Veritas odium parit
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Never understood how they had this reputation of being Old School style, these guys bored and or annoyed the fuck out of me. I had so many people think I might like 'em and I never heard anything that impressed me. I even made a point of seeing them play when they were in Austin one time and they were horrible. For whatever reason a lot of my opinion of a band rides on the vocals and this guy is fucking painfully bad. It also didn't help that they brutally butchered a Sheer Terror cover on that Punk Rock Jukebox Volume 2 compilation. Honestly, the musical part of that wasn't so bad, it was the vocals again, but if you sound like that, why would you try to cover a band who are known for their vocalist's style?

^^^^^ I was in a band with a dude who hated them too. I never understood it. KYI are one of the greats of the new era in my eyes. They kicked more ass than most bands around. Hey we all ahve opinons but the I will never understand why some people hate on them. KYI we as reall as it gets with the newer bands.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 11:12 AM

I think its a shame that they think they have to write tunes that kids can somehow relate to. Why the hell not write a song about your mortgage, or your high cholesterol? Hit thirty and stop living? I think not. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but thats what it sounds like to me. It just doesn't seem like a valid reason to break-up. But I never really got into them anyway.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 12:46 PM

their cover of goodbye to you is cool
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Never understood how they had this reputation of being Old School style, these guys bored and or annoyed the fuck out of me.

not trying to start and argument about what's "old school" and what isnt, but if they dont sound like they've got an old school style then Im not sure who does. Just because you dont like them doesnt mean they dont have that sound.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 03:52 PM

there's also the question of just how old school we're talking? 84-86 old school is very different than 88-90 old school.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by moron
Quote:
Never understood how they had this reputation of being Old School style, these guys bored and or annoyed the fuck out of me.

not trying to start and argument about what's "old school" and what isnt, but if they dont sound like they've got an old school style then Im not sure who does. Just because you dont like them doesnt mean they dont have that sound.
Well, you're right, I don't like them, but that is separate from the fact that they don't sound at all like anything I would consider Old School. BD hit on part of it, everybody seems to call whatever was big when they got into HC Old School now, so let me just say what I mean when I say it. I mean early 80s bands that didn't sound like each other and didn't want to. I mean Negative Approach (and NO, KYI doesn't sound anything like them), The Big Boys, The Offenders, N.O.T.A., DRI, DOA, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, and so on. KYI has none of the heart, feel, or sound of ANY of those bands. I don't care if anybody else likes them, and I'm not calling anybody any names for doing so, but I'm really sick of being told that these guys fit that mold and that I should like them. I think their singer is one of the worst and their music is boring, but I think that sort of thing about a lot of bands and I don't do it to upset anybody, I do it because I feel strongly about music.

Veritas odium parit
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 01:06 AM

I like this band, but I don't think they sound anything like Negative Approach, and I wouldn't say they sound old school. I think a lot of people call them old school because they're not a "chugga chugga wee-wee" band.
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
I think its a shame that they think they have to write tunes that kids can somehow relate to. Why the hell not write a song about your mortgage, or your high cholesterol? Hit thirty and stop living? I think not. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but thats what it sounds like to me. It just doesn't seem like a valid reason to break-up. But I never really got into them anyway.

As far as this goes, I think maybe that they're trying to say that they're just not 100% about it anymore. And if that's the case, I'd rather see them break up before they put out shit that reflects that.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Ugly
I like this band, but I don't think they sound anything like Negative Approach, and I wouldn't say they sound old school. I think a lot of people call them old school because they're not a "chugga chugga wee-wee" band.

^^^^^^^The NEGATIVE APPROACH comparison has always haunted this band. they even wrote songs about it.

CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 04:21 PM

Good band live, not so good on CD. The Goodbye to You cover is awesome.
Spoiler
Posting Freak

Mood: All that scene philosophy never meant a goddamned thing to me

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 05:06 PM

I think each of their albums had a few really good songs....the rest was kinda filler.

Go To Top