Printable Version  
Author: Subject: tube question...
GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 10-23-2006 at 11:37 AM
tube question...

I have a 5150 combo.
2 of the tubes are gone. They dont light up or anything.
Can I just change them out by my self, with out doing the whole rebias thing?
whats a good site for tubes?
aaaaaaah, i hate this piece of shit.
Dan

Mood: Resist Control

[*] posted on 10-23-2006 at 01:16 PM

Running your amp incorrectly biased will not damage the amp, but it will significantly reduce the lifespan of your tubes, and it your amp will not sound as good as it is capable of sounding. It may even sound like total shit.

I highly recommend buying four new tubes that are a matched set, and get your amp professionally biased.

If you buy two new tubes and put them in yourself, it is extremely likely that the new tubes you bought will not be a good match for the tubes that are already in your amp. If the tubes are not a good match, it will be impossible to correctly bias your amp.

If you buy four new tubes that are part of a matched set, and you do not get the amp biased, it is very likely that your amp will not be running with a correct bias, although there is a very slight chance that it will.

Also, if two tubes have already gone out, the two remaining tubes are probably old and should be replaced anyway. You also might want to consider the possibility that there might be something wrong with your amp that caused the two tubes to go out in the first place.

A good site for tubes is http://www.thetubestore.com

Here is a link to a list of tubes from that site that will be compatible with your 5150:

http://www.thetubestore.com/6l65881types.html

Go through that list and check out their descriptions to see which ones match whatever sound you are going for. Any of the tubes that contain "6L6" or "5881" in the name will work with your amp. Stay away from the ones that say "KT66". Those ones will work in your amp, they just won't physically fit in it.
GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 10-23-2006 at 01:36 PM

theres no one locally that can boas the amp, which is a problem.
hahaha.
I hate laredo sometimes.
thanks dude.

Go To Top