Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Soul Brains Unite With A Beastie Boy
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 01:14 PM
Soul Brains Unite With A Beastie Boy

from billboard.com....

By Greg Prato, N.Y.

The Soul Brains (formerly the Bad Brains) have completed basic tracks for their first all-new studio album since 1995's "God of Love." Produced by longtime admirer Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys, the as-yet-untitled set recalls the hardcore/reggae style of such classics as "Bad Brains" and "Rock for Light."

"This is one of the first times that we intended to do stuff," bassist Darryl Jenifer tells Billboard.com. "We never really intend to do anything. But I said, 'I want this record to sound like the old Bad Brains -- I want it to be straight-up hardcore. No tricks, no bells, no whistles. And I want the reggae to be straight rub-a-dub, no little riffs and stuff. The rock -- straight-up speedcore, the way we were known for doing it.' It doesn't have an 'I Against I' appeal to it; it's more like 'Rock For Light.' It's like the cousins of those riffs."

The Soul Brains/Beastie Boys union goes back to the early '80s, when both bands played the same New York hardcore hotspots. Their paths crossed throughout the years, including arena dates in 1995, but never in the studio. "About a year-and-a-half ago, I was trying to instigate a record. I called up Yauch and said, 'Yo, we're going to do a record on Lakeshore,'" he says, referring to a label deal that never materialized.

"I think they got scared -- there was no manager at one point and we were just trying to get this record done," he continues. "So I called up Yauch, he gave us a little bit of money, and we went up to his studio."

Once the group's instrumentalists -- Jenifer, guitarist Dr. Know and drummer Earl Hudson -- laid down their parts, enigmatic singer H.R. was brought into the mix. "We recorded all new rhythm tracks -- six or seven reggae, six or seven rock. We went out to L.A. and got H.R. to sing on them. He kind of did his 'new' H.R. stylings; it wasn't reminiscent of the 'old' H.R., which I can respect. So we've been waiting for Doc to do some solos, and then mix that."

Confirmed song titles for the record ("I just call it 'The Yauch Recordings,'" says Jenifer) include the rockers "Expand Your Soul" and "Universal Peace," as well as such reggae compositions as "Peace Be Unto Thee." Jenifer wouldn't disclose who will release the set, but confirms it may be a major label. "I don't want to mention their name, but they've got first refusal on it," he says.

As for the possibility of touring in support of the album, Jenifer says the group will proceed with caution.

"It's hard for us to do shows," he admits. "That's mainly on H.R., with his mental and emotional state. He's my man. He's a weird dude and I love it -- there's freedom right there. I've really come to that conclusion, that the dude is the [most free] person you'll ever meet."

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 01:20 PM

wicked!!

SAAAAARS
Posting Freak

Mood: madball

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 01:23 PM

reading this made me really happy

GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 01:45 PM

wha wha! dude i loved the dub abulm though... they need to do more of that shit.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 01:47 PM

*drools*

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 01:56 PM

yeah... HR is "free" alright.

someone on lambgoat said that Lil Jon was gonna be doing vocals for this album, which looks false to me. At any rate, this is good news.

GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 02:07 PM

Lambgoat. why bother.
Big Ugly

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 02:36 PM

Never been a fan myself. Always wondered though, why did they change their name to Soul Brains. What's the deal with H.R.? Is he nuts or something.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 03:48 PM

awsome awsome awsome. I saw them about 6 years ago and motherfucker they kicked ass. HR was fucking nuts but it was a great show. I hope they tear it it on the cd and PLEASE. PLEASE TOUR. We all need a show like a Bad Brains show. No matter what their name may be. They will always be the Bad Brains. Just don't release a record like the last one.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
paul nastyGAMC

Mood: silence

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 04:09 PM

lil jon did some shit with them there old song and hinm going "yeaha" no joke. i saw it on mtv2. that will be the shit if they tour. and fuck all that shit about bad mental state. what the fuck am i in? touring helps that shit.

paul nastyGAMC
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 04:16 PM

this reminded me of a thread a while ago where we talked a tiny bit about Bad Brains and HR being nuts.

http://www.thorprecords.com/boards/viewthread.php?tid=128#pid1061

Big Duane gives an awesome link to an interview that dives into HR's mind a bit.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 04:16 PM

I think he's just really fucked up from drugs. Have you ever seen someone in a hardcore band in the middle of the show pull out a wooden chair and place it on stage backwards and sit on it facing the crowd. Then say "My children peace be with you all. We are going to play every song you want to hear. Please have fun and love everyone." Then rage into all songs. All the while sitting on this chair while people are diving and fuckin shit up. Then we swings his arms like he's flying on the chair during the whole show. Then if people got close to him he would pat them on the head and smile. It's a riot to see. If he is really losing it it is a shame but HR is really out their. Man I hope they tour.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.

Go To Top