don't care? --- 9 (69.23%)

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Toyato to overtake GM as top automaker
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 12:09 PM
Toyato to overtake GM as top automaker

So to me this is a travesty. I have a HUGE connection with the American automobile (my car club for those who don't know me) and this is sad, sad news. There is so much significance in this on a symbolic level. America invented the automoblie, introduced it to the world and has always been at the forefront of it's design and structure. This is about to change and yes, I am one of those people who curses those who don't buy American, call me old fashioned. I know there are countless reasons to buy foreign but I just don't give a fuck about those. So to me this sucks big time, what do you think?
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 12:17 PM

I can see where you are coming from Voodoo. I voted "don't care" though. We all see the stories about how the "Big 3" are struggling. Based on so many things (the cars they make, safety issues, healthcare costs and the unions). I have never owned an American car either. In fact, I don't even consider a domestic when I'm buying. I'm not sure why.

I can't feel sorry for the Big 3 either. To me it seems they have been too slow to change and possibly have made some inferior products and prices are high. To me it also seems like their executive are very typical corporate America where their bonuses go up all the while more employees lose their jobs.

I'm going on speculations here as well. I have no real "data" to back any of this up. To me it is a car/vehicle. Yeah, I'd like it to be nice, safe, roomy, affordable, reliable and a good value.

Now, I'm just rambling...
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 12:43 PM

Doesn't bother me. Toyota's are fucking good cars. Much better than any American one.
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 01:02 PM

I can't help but agree with ChrisReed and moron. This doesn't bother me either. I love this country just as much as the next guy, but I would never consider buying an American car. What bothers me most is that buying a product from an American company (whether it be a car or otherwise) doesn't guarantee a product made in the U.S. by an American worker.
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 01:33 PM

there is very little of american cars that are made in america
we are an outdated bloated society and we are getting left behind
and we have noone to blame but ourselves
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 01:40 PM

I can't say it bothers me all that much.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defstarsteve
there is very little of american cars that are made in america

i hear ya, voodoo, the american car has a tremendous legacy and people have strong emotional ties to the american car companies.

personally, i was never THAT big of a car guy (i do love vdubs, though), so i'm not brand loyal. saftey, reliability, value - those are my concerns.

and even thoug it's a korean company, but my hyundai was built at a brand-new, $1.1B plant alabama that employs 2,800 americans.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 01:59 PM

most chevys are being built in mexico
honda nissan and toyota all have american manufacturing plants with unionised employees who are american citizens.
ford is even outsourcing to china these days
besides trucks, and perhaps a corvette, there are very few american cars which i am interested, for many reasons
they fall apart
depreciate rapidly
barely outlast the payments / warranties
i own a 2000 honda, it has 100,000 miles on it and besides brakes and tires, it has never had one problem
my parents have been buying amserican cars my whole life and i just watch them getting screwed each time some odd problem that isnt covered goes wrong.
most hardcore chevy / ford guys get that loyalty from the awesome cars these manufacturers made during the 60s and early 70s in the musclecar days and even the 40s-50s. i love old american muscle, but there is no way im spending my money on a car that depreciates $4000 by just driving it off the lot

besides this, chevy has been using honda and toyota motors in their cars for some time now. they may have bow ties on the valve covors but there are many GM vehicles running these motors...
Gooch

Mood: Government Warning

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 03:33 PM

I don't think I would ever buy an American car, just don't seem as reliable as Honda and Toyota.
I was suprised that my mom recently got a Ford 500 after have like 5 Hondas in a row. Though the only reason they got it was because my dad works for GE and they have a discount program with Ford. I joked with my dad that whatever discount he got will be offset with repair costs. Actually, its a pretty nice looking car that has a lot in it for the price they paid. Hopefully they don't have any problems with it.

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal a while back comparing Fords and Toyotas based on where they were made. There were some Toyota models that had high percantage of parts made in the US compared to Ford. I forget what they were but this particular Toyota had like 75% of its parts made in the US compared to like 30% for a particular Ford.

My mind is Clear, Free from hurt. My mind is Clear, Value its worth!
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 04:25 PM

Shit even the cars that are made in America 95% of the parts are imported anyway. And I have no respect for the American car industry, especially with how they have cut so many blue collar jobs.

Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 09:05 PM

I think GM put themselves in a position to fail by giving too much too early to the unions & digging themselves in the deep trenches they have now, mostly because the unions are such a huge wrecking force to the business making the costs skyrocket.

Not to mention the fact Toyota make really good cars, a lot of very efficient & hybrid cars, reliable as shit too.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 12:23 AM

It bothers me. Were I live its devestated by what the industry has become. My property value is declining. People who have jobs are lossing them and the ones without can't find one. Its seriously devestating around my parts. Steel, Auto and various other manufacturing is gone.

this is just another ripple in that wave. FORD left the city where I live Lorain. the steel mill is slowly closing. GM/Delphi is closing about 20 minutes away from my city. Its really fucked up. I am getting scared for our country.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 10:46 AM

I own an 06 Ford F-150 and it was built right down the street from where I live at the Norfolk plant. Thats where alot of the F-150's came from. Unfortunately they are closing down as well and yes it is sad, and yes the big 3 did make alot of mistakes in alot of areas and yes I have no sympathy for the corporate weenies. My reason for bringing this up goes deeper, it's more about nostalgia and history, traditions and such. I see things like this being cast to the side more and more in this day and age and it saddens me. It's part of the reason my club exists, to make sure we hold on to and don't let anyone forget a part of American history and tradition. As a side note, I have never owned nor will I ever own a foreign vehicle by name. I have owned olds, fords, chevys and chryslers and I have had a tremendous track record with all of em. No real issues to speak of. The people who end up getting fucked I think are the ones who don't keep up with their scheduled maintenance for the most part. I may be wrong, it's just what I have seen
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 12:17 PM

Anyone who rejoices in a failing America should find somewhere else to call home. Being angry and doing something about it is one thing. Make a change.

Sitting back and complaining and not doing anything is grounds for a kick in the ass by and American made steeltoe boot.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 08:20 PM

I think half of my family has worked for GM. Both grandfathers, and about 4-5 uncles have worked there. In St. Catharines there is a GM plant plus another one up the road in Thorold. And just outside Toronto in Oakville is a large Ford plant where they used to make minivans.

So I'm definately in an area affected by the changes but it still doesn't really bother me. My uncle has been laid off over 12 years now so he's gone into computers and works for the police now doing IT support. If you are young enough, you got time to go find a new career.

I don't think the blame for the big 3 failing can be put squarely on the business practices either though, the union movement & cheap external labour has helped the decline come sooner. When they started working in Mexico & getting China to build cars, they made a major business error, but that started happening after the unions got to strong to ignore & had to be catered to.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-24-2006 at 11:51 AM

if anything, the hip hop industry is keepin the big 3 in business
top cars i see when i am at the car wash (i go to one right on the edge of west philly, im the only white dude goin there)
cadillac escilade
lincoln navigator
gmc denali
chrysler 300
ford excursion
chevy impalla
84 buick regal with big rims and a drop suspension
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-24-2006 at 12:00 PM

i need to dig up pics of ther cars ive helped restore / build in the last few years with my friend paulie. he has a few that are his and has done ones for others.
just got done a 1966 GMC pick up. full frame off, dismantled everything. sand blasting, acid bath, the works. it looks better now infact than when it rolled off the showroom floor.
in the garage is also a 1963 ford falcon with mini tubs, a cage, traction bars and a stripped interior. it has a 400 hp ford 302 ready to drop in it. the 302 came from a 1970 galaxie and was rebuily, with a cam and carb to match. its hot.
the others are a 1964 ford F100. dropped 7 inches on a coil over suspension. the 302 was originally in that, but it has been sitting on the back burner while he does the other projects. theres a pulled 351W ready for a mild rebuild to go in that. there is also a 79chevy elcamino with a worked 327 out of a 66 malibu. it is also good for close to 400 hp.
dont ask why im tellin this crap. too much dunkin donuts coffee. voodoo may find it interesting however.
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 12-24-2006 at 01:27 PM

I owned one american car my whole life, and i will never have another one again.
When i go looking at cars, american isn't even an option to me (much like it being an automatic). Imports just look nicer, last longer, and hold their value WAY longer.

Cars i've owned:

1985 - Dodge Omni
1976 - Mini
1990 - Honda Accord EX-R
1998 - Honda Civic EX
1999 - Volkswagan Golf Wolfsberg

on a side note not to start arguments or anything but americans did not invent the automobile.

Karl Friedrich Benz 1885/86
First true Gasoline automobile powered by an internal combustion engine: Four cycle engine and chassis from a single unit.

Dave
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-24-2006 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
if anything, the hip hop industry is keepin the big 3 in business
top cars i see when i am at the car wash (i go to one right on the edge of west philly, im the only white dude goin there)
cadillac escilade
lincoln navigator
gmc denali
chrysler 300
ford excursion
chevy impalla
84 buick regal with big rims and a drop suspension

I think that the only reason they have those is so that they can try and get some attention from people, OR 'hey look at me i gots a big ass car, to makes up fo my small ass penis'.

Really it all comes down to personal preference, some people like big ass cars, some people like small ones, german, japan, korean, american, english, french etc. etc, etc.i personaly think those are some of the assyiest looking cars out there.

now i'm ranting.........

I apologize to anyone on here that may have one of said vehicules, and comments may not reflect Thorp members. :P

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 12-24-2006 at 10:56 PM

It doesn't amtter where the parts come from so long as it is assembled in the US or vice versa. The fact is we need the jobs here in the US.

Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
i need to dig up pics of ther cars ive helped restore / build in the last few years with my friend paulie. he has a few that are his and has done ones for others.
just got done a 1966 GMC pick up. full frame off, dismantled everything. sand blasting, acid bath, the works. it looks better now infact than when it rolled off the showroom floor.
in the garage is also a 1963 ford falcon with mini tubs, a cage, traction bars and a stripped interior. it has a 400 hp ford 302 ready to drop in it. the 302 came from a 1970 galaxie and was rebuily, with a cam and carb to match. its hot.
the others are a 1964 ford F100. dropped 7 inches on a coil over suspension. the 302 was originally in that, but it has been sitting on the back burner while he does the other projects. theres a pulled 351W ready for a mild rebuild to go in that. there is also a 79chevy elcamino with a worked 327 out of a 66 malibu. it is also good for close to 400 hp.
dont ask why im tellin this crap. too much dunkin donuts coffee. voodoo may find it interesting however.

You just can't say things like this when speaking of foreign vehicles, and thats what it's all about. Passion, no offense, but fuck ya cunts that buy foreign, just my opinion and I'm an asshole sometimes.
Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 12:39 AM

Quote:

on a side note not to start arguments or anything but americans did not invent the automobile.

You Googlin ass niggah..................alright I stand corrected, but we perfected and began manufacturing on a large scale these things of beauty.
Dave
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
Quote:

You Googlin ass niggah..................alright I stand corrected, but we perfected and began manufacturing on a large scale these things of beauty.

:P

Go To Top