Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: recommendations for home equipment?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 11:46 PM
recommendations for home equipment?

when it comes to physical fitness, i'm a lazy piece of shit. if i didn't trip over my dumbells on the way to my desk, i'd never use em. so now i'm looking to expand a little. i'd love to get some kind for cardio machine, but it seems like everything is either super inexpensive (read:cheap) or waaaaay too expensive. any reasonable recommendations? is there a decent elliptical to be had for $500?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Lucabrasi
Posting Freak

Mood: f-minus

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 01:32 AM

im looking at getting an elliptical machine myself. I saw one at Wal-Mark for like 125 but I might pay more for something that I know will last along time. Im sure for $500 you can get a decent one. Check out this link
http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisegear/bb/bybelliptical.h...
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 1-2-2007 at 10:00 AM

Elipticals are awesome. Make sure it is Sturdy. That is key along with having smooth motion.

Do you all have a 2nd Wind Exercise Equipment near you? These are refurbished equipment from Health Clubs and Hotels. Top of the line stuff that has been reworked and good for home use. It may be pretty pricey though.

http://www.2ndwindexercise.com/?utm_source=google&utm_me...
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 02:35 AM

Honestly? Don't even bother with a fancy piece of equipment. I've seen so many people blow so many loads on it and use it for a week until it becomes an over-glorified hamper/towel rack. Looking for inexpensive cardio stuff? Here's a couple suggestions:

1) Walk outside. Same basic thing as a treadmill, only this will make you do inclines/declines whereas on a treadmill it's real easy to ignore that "grade" button. Also, a lot of people hate treadmills, ellipticals, etc. because they feel like they're not going anywhere. That will eliminate this problem. And, because it's winter, you'll burn more calories outside! Because it's cold out, your body has to burn more calories to maintain your body temperature.

2) Jump rope. Fan-fucking-tastic cardio. The higher the impact is on cardio exercise, the more you'll burn and the more you'll improve your respiratory function.

3) Get a punching bag and a pair of gloves. You'd be surprised at how much energy this takes, and will burn calories like a motherfucker when done for a while. Plus, you'll feel like Rocky!

4) Keep using those fucking dumbells! Strength training is great for you, and turns your body into a fat burning machine. It does everything cardio will do for you (except increase oxygen uptake/respiratory endurance) and will increase your metabolic rate (Muscles require more energy to be maintained, so this means you'll burn more at rest).

These are just some suggestions. If you REALLY want a piece of cardio equipment, go for it, in the end it's all up to what motivates you to get moving.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 11:23 AM

walking. one of the main things i miss about living in the city. it's not hard to walk two miles a day in nyc. i bought a jump rope a while back thinking it would be a great way to burn calories, but my knees can't take it. 12 years of skateboarding = arthritis at 30. punching bag is a good, inexpensive and doable idea. i'm gonna look into that one. i've been rocking the dumbells everyday. i'd like to get a simple bench so i can use 'em out of my desk chair!

the attraction to the elliptical has been its low impact nature (easy on the knees) and the fact i've seen definite success with it in the past. that said, if i got my ass out for a little speed walking, i might there as well. i also dig the rower. cardo plus the closest i've done to stretching!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 01:13 PM

The rower is another good option.

Go To Top