Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Scene reports
forsaken

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 08:23 AM
Scene reports

Ok, this might sound super-gay, but can everyone (who feels inclined) tell me where they're from (country, state, city etc) and what their hardcore scene is like ... (best bands, positives and negatives of your scene, number of tours, kids who turn up blah blah blah).

I'll start the ball rolling (knowing my luck I'll be the only one who posts) ...

I'm from Melbourne, Australia. We have a pretty sweet scene ... plenty of growing local bands as well as old scene veteran type bands. We also get heaps of international bands touring. In the past few months we've had MPB, CBK, Champion, Terror and this week we get Madball. Some good local bands are: Mindsnare (been togeather twelve years. sound like 25 ta life crossed with all out war), Hitlist (pretty new-yorkish style) and theres more. At all-age shows we pull 250 + kids ... at overage shows we get about 200. All in all, it's a good scene. Theres two 'trendy alternative nightclubs' in our town that keeps our scene in constant supply of randoms, posers and losers. A good thing about Melbourne is the lack of fights. It's cool to go to shows and have fun. If someones causing trouble we normally just throw them out the door.

Anyways .... tell me about about your scenes.
brooklyn

Mood: HC & streetpunkrock

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 09:55 AM

Hey Melbourne. Was theer in Nov 2003. Liked it. Better than Sydney. And discovered a nice record store nearish the train station.

I lived in Brussels, London and NY (Brooklyn),.. but am now in Johannesburg, South Africa. According to all neutral statistics this is teh 2nd most violent city on thsi planet after Bogota in Colombia. So that sets the picture. Guns are "normal". So going to a gig means watching your back BIG TIME. It's hard sometimes but you learn to live with it. You just gotta be alert and smart and if you try to do the tough talking macho shit you get a 9 in your head. So be smart and think.

T.C.O.B.
GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 10:53 AM

TEXAS IS WAY TOOO BIG TO EVEN START THIS SHIT.
LETS JUST SAY EVERY BAND LISTED HERE IS GROWN.
Newt80

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 11:36 AM

haha i love Gabe's slang. we used to talk online a while back, he gave me shit because my live journal had "butterfly" in it. remember Gabe?
GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 01:46 PM

nope. was i drunk?
Newt80

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 03:25 PM

lol, maybe, it's all good. if it helps you at all i told how i got it from the aztec belief of the butterfly carrying the deal souls off.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 04:26 PM

cleveland hardcore is pretty bad anymore. NOt many go to shows and everyone is too segregated anymore. Hardcore cliques are either metal/hardcore or jsut straight up hardcore. No one can handle kickin it together everyones got beef with each other.
Bands I'm sure everyone knows from clevlenad are INTERITY FACEVALUE ONE LIFE CREW CONFRONT SPUDMONSTERS RUN DEVIL RUN PITTBOSS Many others but no care to list the rest. Shows do cmoem to cleveland but the scene here is pretty lame anymore. One show you can have 500 people another show you get 100.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 2-14-2005 at 11:02 PM

Currently in South Australia just outside Adelaide. Only been to 1 show here at this point, Terror with Last Nerve, Jungle Fever & Hitlist. 3 opening bands were fucking awesome, Hitlist did a Madball cover & Jungle Fever are the sweetest new band I've heard in ages.
Tomorrow night i'm goin to Madball, Stolen Youth & Shot Point Blank are opening. SPB is also from Adelaide & did the US last year I think, Hatebreed style never got into them.
Melbourne sucks because you have XtomX haha he's a tall dumb bastard.

Anyways the hometown of St Catharines, Ontario is huge & so is the neighbouring city of Welland. St Catharines is home of Jude The Obscure, Alexisonfire, Keep It Up, Two Knives & many other bands. If you haven't heard Keep it Up get into it now. Welland is amazing. A Day And A Deathwish, In These Walls (RIP), Murder Thy Maker etc etc. Over 400 people at EVERY single show in town. St Catharines attendance is mixed, depends on the show etc. Too much fuckin emo & indie bullshit brought in by Bedlam & Firewall, but Uber brought amazing bands & BRass Knuckle is continuing where I left off. Close to Toronto too where amazing bands play & Hoibak books the fuckin best shit. I did a Merauder/Ringworm show there too.

So far Adelaide seems good except all these fuckin homos with tattoos making fun of people all night long for not being hard enough, meanwhile these dudes are nowhere to be seen while the bands are playing unless you look along the back wall.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
forsaken

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike

where you out here a few years ago .. maybe 2000 or 2001? I think i've met you. I met a dude when I was at hellfest who knew you too ... cept i cant rememer his real name ... chris,craig or justin or something ... good dood. transformer tattoos.

Tom sings in my band. Why don't ya like him? I've known him for about 4 or 5 years and I think he's alright.

And yes ... Jungle Fever, Hitlist, Last Nerve, Mindsnare, Against, Taking Sides, Miles Away ... all sweet hc bands.

I'll be over for crafterfest, if I see you I'll say hi.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 11:51 PM

I was down in 2003 in March - June. Spent 1.5 weeks in Melbourne, stayed at Kirsten's, Shaun's, Holly's & some other places, went to Goo one Thursday night but that was about it.
Tom's just a goof from years ago on AustNet & the whole Cobra Crew thing was ultra retarded.
Chris Olhoff rules. He's taking over Mosh For Tots for me in Canada this year & I'm hoping to do something down here this year too, gonna have to see how it goes.

And an update on Adelaide, this city & hardcore girls is fucking amazing. Chicks up front singing along to Warzone covers & atleast 5 chicks in the pit. Girls here love hardcore & don't just stand around like back in Toronto. There's like 3 in TO who get into it but nothing like the girlies down here, they are amazing.

Next up, Crafter Fest. I didn't know Shaun was drumming in From The Ruins so that rules, I'll definately be there both days hanging out.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-17-2005 at 01:21 AM

Pennsylvania Capitol. There used to be a great scene here in the mid nineties. Everyone now is one of three things (to summarize). (1) Too old to be HXC - so they think (2) Most have gone Emo - a freaken shame in my opinion (3) Bands and kids have such a chip on their shoulder thinking they are the next big shit to hit outta this area. Efrem said it best when he said: I never fit in anywhere, and no I dont think I fit here.
Mikey216

Mood: Human Demise

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 10:47 PM

Cleveland is 80% fucked. The other 20% survives become of Ringworm. Best up-and-comers are Names for Graves.

Cross me again and we\'ll see... you\'ll be the one to fucking pay!
bystanderfanzine.com

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikey216
Cleveland is 80% fucked. The other 20% survives become of Ringworm. Best up-and-comers are Names for Graves.

The show we played there was a ton of fun

MacSteff

Mood: duran duran...obviously

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 04:17 PM

CT has a bunch of awesome bands With Honor, 100 Demons, the Risk Taken, The Distance, Signs of Hope, Bloodshot Hooligans, Hatebreed, Bury Your Dead, Death Threat(RIP) etc... but in my opinion the shows are getting lame. Guys are constantly aiming for girls on purpose or people that are trying not to get involved in the dancing but are there for the music. All of our venues have been shut down pretty much so most shows are held in halls. There are normally a decent amount of people at shows so the scene is alright but was a lot better 7-8 years ago.

I will keep you warm in hell
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MacSteff
Guys are constantly aiming for girls on purpose

Wait. Really? This happens?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
ENDERA.x
Posting Freak

Mood: Icepick

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike
Currently in South Australia just outside Adelaide. Only been to 1 show here at this point, Terror with Last Nerve, Jungle Fever & Hitlist. 3 opening bands were fucking awesome, Hitlist did a Madball cover & Jungle Fever are the sweetest new band I've heard in ages.
Tomorrow night i'm goin to Madball, Stolen Youth & Shot Point Blank are opening. SPB is also from Adelaide & did the US last year I think, Hatebreed style never got into them.
Melbourne sucks because you have XtomX haha he's a tall dumb bastard.

Anyways the hometown of St Catharines, Ontario is huge & so is the neighbouring city of Welland. St Catharines is home of Jude The Obscure, Alexisonfire, Keep It Up, Two Knives & many other bands. If you haven't heard Keep it Up get into it now. Welland is amazing. A Day And A Deathwish, In These Walls (RIP), Murder Thy Maker etc etc. Over 400 people at EVERY single show in town. St Catharines attendance is mixed, depends on the show etc. Too much fuckin emo & indie bullshit brought in by Bedlam & Firewall, but Uber brought amazing bands & BRass Knuckle is continuing where I left off. Close to Toronto too where amazing bands play & Hoibak books the fuckin best shit. I did a Merauder/Ringworm show there too.

So far Adelaide seems good except all these fuckin homos with tattoos making fun of people all night long for not being hard enough, meanwhile these dudes are nowhere to be seen while the bands are playing unless you look along the back wall.

You would think that Toronto being a big city would have the same at St Kitts.
Toronto is one of the worst cities in the world for hardcore shows. Thats undisputed. Fuck anyone who says otherwise fuck this city its pathetic. Lack of kids in the first place, and the ones that are here are pure scenesters who arent your normal scenester ETID kid im talkin about actual hc kids who are so caught up in the bullshit they dont realize they've become a part of it.. if that makes any sense. And they all basically listen to one type of hardcore. It's sorta discouraging especially for someone like me who is into more stuff that they don't give a fuck about. Get this, last time Sworn Enemy came I swear there was like 20 kids.. what the fuck is that! Holy shit and I've done shows here with 8 bands all fuckin great, and you get like 60 kids if you're lucky. RETARDED.

Aside from that, there are about 4 great local bands.
I would say five but not anymore (NW)

There's a real reason for why the city is the way it is but I won't say it. I personally can't tell if the place is getting better for shows or worst what with the metal / tech / metalcore scenes sorta lurking around here, ayeee

Sad when Uber left he even brought some of the best shows in Tdot.

MacSteff

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Duane
Quote:
Originally posted by MacSteff
Guys are constantly aiming for girls on purpose

Wait. Really? This happens?

"We want people to be scared of Hardcore..." thats the quote i most recently heard in CT. i had to pull a girl behind a merch table because she go a direct, aimed hit to her face. but other than that it rules.

newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 01:46 PM

not sure whos around for t.o. hardcore at the moment but the class assassins are pretty highly underrated, great band. as for conneticut, when we played there in november the girlfriend of the promoter (both really great people btw)got punched in the nose. didnt realize that was a regular thing there. awesome.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 02:05 PM

and here i always thought of connecticut as kind of a wussy state. clearly i'm wrong... they punch girls in connecticut!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
ENDERA.x
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Duane
and here i always thought of connecticut as kind of a wussy state. clearly i'm wrong... they punch girls in connecticut!

Imma ask Todd WH about that. hah

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 02:26 PM

apparently CT has a reputation for being tough and having lots of fights. Just ask Mr. Bystander. I think he hates CT for that reason.

When I lived there and went to shows, which wasnt TOO often, I never saw a single fight. It was weird to hear that CT had a rep for being tough.

MacSteff

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 02:51 PM

well i guess you don't have to be too tough to beat up girls... keepin' it real you know...ct style

ENDERA.x
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 02:58 PM

hahaah
imagine a HB show there.. oh noo!

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 03:22 PM

sorry... i meant for that to be read with a TREMENDOUS amount of sarcasm.

Big Ugly

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ENDERA.x
Quote:

You would think that Toronto being a big city would have the same at St Kitts.
Toronto is one of the worst cities in the world for hardcore shows. Thats undisputed. Fuck anyone who says otherwise fuck this city its pathetic. Lack of kids in the first place, and the ones that are here are pure scenesters who arent your normal scenester ETID kid im talkin about actual hc kids who are so caught up in the bullshit they dont realize they've become a part of it.. if that makes any sense. And they all basically listen to one type of hardcore. It's sorta discouraging especially for someone like me who is into more stuff that they don't give a fuck about. Get this, last time Sworn Enemy came I swear there was like 20 kids.. what the fuck is that! Holy shit and I've done shows here with 8 bands all fuckin great, and you get like 60 kids if you're lucky. RETARDED.

Aside from that, there are about 4 great local bands.
I would say five but not anymore (NW)

There's a real reason for why the city is the way it is but I won't say it. I personally can't tell if the place is getting better for shows or worst what with the metal / tech / metalcore scenes sorta lurking around here, ayeee

Sad when Uber left he even brought some of the best shows in Tdot.

That Sworn Enemy show was fucking great. I was one of the few people that showed up. Around 96-98 there were a lot of great bands coming through here on tour, but there is a real lack of shows now. Anytime I go to a show that has a lineup of amazing bands there seems to be almost nobody there unless at least one of the bands is really well known, like B4B or Madball. Nobody wants to see bands unless they're really big, or on the right label, or a certain style, or whatever. At least Agnostic Front is comin in May.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top