Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hold your wee (AND DIE) for a wii
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 10:35 AM
hold your wee (AND DIE) for a wii

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- A California radio station has fired 10 staff members after a contest to drink as much water as possible to win a new Nintendo Wii game console resulted in a woman's death, a company spokesman said Wednesday.

Jennifer Strange, 28, a mother of three, died from water intoxication after taking part in a "Hold your wee for a Wii" competition on a morning radio show on Sacramento station KDND-FM on Friday.

She was one of about 20 contestants who tried to outdrink each other without going to the toilet and was reported to have drunk about seven quarts of water in a bid to win the Wii for her children. She was the runner-up.

After the contest she called in sick at work and was found dead at her home about five hours later. (Full story)

A spokesman for the station's parent company, Entercom/Sacramento, said 10 staff members, including several on-air DJs, had been fired from the station over the incident.

"They are no longer with the company for violating the terms of their employment agreements with the station," said the spokesman, without elaborating on contract details.

"This is part of an ongoing, thorough investigation."

Local newspapers said the Sacramento county coroner had yet to rule as to cause of death but said Strange's death was "consistent with a water intoxication death."

In an online recording of the show, the DJs can be heard making comments joking about people dying from water intoxication, even discussing a case in Northern California two years ago in which student Matthew Carrington, 21, died after drinking too much water during a fraternity pledge.

One of the DJs even admitted they maybe should have done some research before the contest.

One female caller, who identified herself as Eva, also phoned in to warn the radio station that drinking too much water can kill.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 11:01 AM

how much is too much i ask?
i work with a dude who doesnt pee all day long.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 11:28 AM

I heard of this.

I never thought 2 gallons would break someone. thought it would take much more than that.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 11:29 AM

Basically your body drowns from the inside out.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 11:31 AM

Can You Really Drink Too Much Water?

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolyts
Prevent Hyponatremia
Balance fluid consumption with Elete pure electrolyte add in
www.eletewater.com
Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.
What Happens During Water Intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 11:35 AM

I think it probably depends on the size of the person.

One day a few years ago I drank tons of water and I started to feel sick like I was gonna pass out.... it was fucked up!

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 11:46 AM

I never got like that but once I felt dizzy. I saw someone vomit up nothing but water though. That was funny.

Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! .

Keep this up and you can die from kidney failure at a young age.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 12:17 PM

Hey I'm not an expert. I just found the article online, but htat does seem like alot of water everyday.

Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 12:54 PM

she had 3 kids............very sad.
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
Hey I'm not an expert. I just found the article online, but htat does seem like alot of water everyday.

I know...I wasn't trying to start shit. I was just commenting.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
she had 3 kids............very sad.

and she loved them enough to be in a stupid contest like that trying to win them a Nintendo.

:(

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 05:20 PM

they better hope she signed a release.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
joe

Mood: death threat

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 10:04 PM

yeah this is so sad heard about it the other day
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-21-2007 at 11:05 AM

Am I an asshole for posting a response in this thread with my Nintendo Wii browser?

thedog
Posting Freak

Mood: Deals Gone Bad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 02:32 AM

this is a terrible.
i feel for her kids.

\"thank you very little\"
RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thedog
this is a terrible.
i feel for her kids.

Indeed.

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.

Go To Top