Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Speak English
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:28 PM
Speak English

Genos, the cheesesteak tourist stop in Philly is again under fire for their sign "When Ordering Speak English" by special interest groups saying they are discriminating against immigraints by refusing service to people that don't speak english. This isn't the first they have been attacked.

I say fuck those assholes, this is America so speak fucking English. Learn the god damn language or go home. I hate how this country doesn't have an "official" language. You go to foreign countries they don't accomodate people who can't speak their native tongue but yet we do. Fuck that PC bullshit.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:33 PM

Hells yeah!

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:38 PM

Yeah... it would benefit immigrants if they learned English and it would make everyone else's life easier, but learning English isnt easy and it certainly doesnt happen overnight.

That cheesteak place can do whatever the fuck they want I suppose. I just always find this "speak English or leave" attitude funny.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:39 PM

I can't pick up and move to another country and succeed without speaking their language but yet people expect to do that here.

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:43 PM

We have a guy working in our office as a janitor who moved to the US from Venezuela a few years ago. I dont know his entire story because he doesn't speak English, but his wife does. Anyway... he's taking ESL classes and working parttime in our office. I wouldnt call that succeeding, but he's making an effort. Lots of people who talk about immigrants coming here make it seem as though all of them are lazy and want everything handed to them which is definitely not the case. This guy is struggling. He's not an idiot, but he had to leave his country for whatever reason and he's legitimately trying to improve his life here. It just takes time.
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:47 PM

i agree, if i had to move somewhere, i'd like to think that i would make the effort to learn the language. but the old people that have obviously been here and not given a shit to learn a few simple terms and sentences in order to survive just piss me off to no end
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:50 PM

Yeah... it's frustrating at times. I work with those people everyday.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:56 PM

it's a privatley owned business
he can do whatever the fuck he wants
if people dont like it
go to fuckin pats steaks across the street
i doubt he will miss your $5 when theres 5 people behind you in line waiting for a half assed sammich
genos blows anyway
does "South Philly Guido" count as english? I don't know. don't care
I buy my cheese steaks from an irish immigrant in UD. his english is ok, but his cheese steaks are great
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:58 PM

i just dont like the people that get annoyed with me for not being able to understand them as they're speaking whatever gibberish it is that they're comfortable with....
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:59 PM

OR DIE!!!!!!!!
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 07:03 PM

SOD of know the deal.

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 07:04 PM

sometimes I think Im too nice of a guy for this board.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 07:04 PM

none of the people working in Dunkin Donuts around here speak english much. But damn if they dont remember what i get every fuckin time i enter the place. they can speak klingon for all i care. I love some dunkin coffee
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 07:05 PM

and too nice for my own good.
Muttley

Mood: OVERKILL

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com
I can't pick up and move to another country and succeed without speaking their language but yet people expect to do that here.

Exactly. Fuck being politically correct.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moron
sometimes I think Im too nice of a guy for this board.

I think I'm waaay too nice.

I'd much rather people who get all shitty about the English language go fuck themselves. "blah blah blah patriotism patriotism blah blah blah nationalistic pride blah blah blah speak english or go home blah blah blah" Just screams to me "i'm a prick, please remove me from existence."

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 11:05 PM

What screams "I'm a prick" to me, is people taking advantage of social and economic services without caring enough to learn to communicate with the people who put in the work to create and sustain those same services. Fuck nationalistic or whatever bullshit, as has been stated here, nobody expects to get that sort of benefit in another country without learning to communicate with the people in that country and yet it is not only expected, but is fucking litigated here. That's pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Veritas odium parit
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 11:09 PM

I can't sympathize with any arguement regarding this. Like I said, you cannot go to another country and do good without knowing the native language but here you can. Don't come here if you can't or refuse to learn to language. If you don't agree with that you're just a stupid fuck in my eyes.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com
I can't sympathize with any arguement regarding this. Like I said, you cannot go to another country and do good without knowing the native language but here you can. Don't come here if you can't or refuse to learn to language. If you don't agree with that you're just a stupid fuck in my eyes.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
godabandonedme

Mood: Darkbuster

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 11:58 PM

This is an old arguement. For some reason the news picked up on it again, oh well. Like someone pointed out, it's a privately owned buisness. Either way, the guy even said they have never turned away any paying customer for any reason. I heard him on the Kidd Chris show a while back an he was like "my parents came here from Italy with NOTHING! They learned the launguage busted their asses etc. ..." It's pure laziness anymore plain and simple. Why learn the launguage when everything is spelled out for you in your native tounge? Why learn it when it's a fucking option when calling 911? This country is a fucking joke.

\"Leave the gun....take the canolis.\"
SHAKO KEN

Mood: cynic

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 12:22 AM

i agree that it's common courtesy to speak the language of the country you live in. it's not that hard. you can pick up the basics within a month, especially if you live among people who speak it. they should put the energy they spend on protesting into finding language courses and studying.

btw, in european countries like belgium, holland, norway, sweden, denmark & finland you can get by in english pretty well.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 06:54 AM

my father lived in Japan for 2 years while in the military back in the 50s. youd be surprised at how much of their culture/ language he picked up /still remembers to this day from just being around it. he wasnt given classes or anything. its just narural to pick it up i suppose.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 06:56 AM

those south philly slop shacks are tourist traps anyway. having lived around the city my wole life i know that what they sell isnt even closr to a good cheese steak. my middle school cafeteria sold better sammiches
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 09:46 AM

I agree, theres dozens of places that have better steaks. Although Steves steaks in the Northeast on St Vincent which is pretty big has great steaks. I still wouldn't call public school sammiches better than a pats or genos steak, the meat is grade F but edible.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by godabandonedme
This is an old arguement. For some reason the news picked up on it again, oh well. Like someone pointed out, it's a privately owned buisness. Either way, the guy even said they have never turned away any paying customer for any reason. I heard him on the Kidd Chris show a while back an he was like "my parents came here from Italy with NOTHING! They learned the launguage busted their asses etc. ..." It's pure laziness anymore plain and simple. Why learn the launguage when everything is spelled out for you in your native tounge? Why learn it when it's a fucking option when calling 911? This country is a fucking joke.

I heard that dude on NPR saying his grandparents never bothered to learn the language. Hypocrisy.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top