Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I failed the Elyria, Ohio Police entrance test. BUT NOW ITS ON! SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 3-3-2007 at 04:39 PM
I failed the Elyria, Ohio Police entrance test. BUT NOW ITS ON! SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!

I have many more to take in the future.

However, I would like to know any information on how I can achieve the goal of 1.5 mile run in under 12.25 minutes.

If anyone has done this and has any information on how I can reach this goal please help. I want to achieve this and I do understand it takes discipline. this day forward i am taking it very serious. So here is my information.

I presently weigh 232lbs. I am 5'10". I need to shed pounds before this summer for 2 other tests for 2 other cities.

My run time is about 15 minutes for the 1.5 mile. So I need to shave off at least 3 minutes to even qualify. I need to beat 12.25 for a mile and a half.

I have went to a vitamin world to find info on supplements that may aid in dropping some fat but I am hesitant. I work out so I think I can do this on my own with changing my diet. Plus I am on a budget and 60 a months for supplements is not happening.

Also, I am having pain in my right knee on the outside. It hurts when I run and I sometimes fell pain in the evening after a workout. I bought a support for it and it seems to be working. I hope to get it looked at in the near future. Any info on this would be great as well. I ahve been taking this joint supplement for it but it doesn't seem to help any. I think its just my weight. So I really need to drop these pounds.

Any suggestions please. They are all appreciated. :)

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 3-3-2007 at 04:41 PM

Also, I noticed I am out of breath sooner than when I was younger. What is a good way to train myself to breath better when I run so I am not so fucking exaused doing the run?

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 3-3-2007 at 05:51 PM

Ok, here goes nuthin'.....

As for your performance goals for the mile test, cardio, cardio, cardio, and more cardio. Run, jump rope, get on an elliptical. Anything. Although I do stress running because that's what you're going to have to do. But, don't wake up tomorrow, tie your shoes, and blow your load trying to accomplish your goal in one day. It won't happen without you completely exhausting yourself, and you'll never want to do it again. Start slow, but go for a while. The more you keep this up, the more your body can endure. Your cardio/respiratory systems are going to need to be conditioned. Also, if you can, try interval training. This is done a lot easier if you have treadmill access. You go for about three minutes at an easier speed (say 3 mph) then for one minute you go to something that's hard(er), say 4 mph. Then after that minute you come back down to 3 mph. Keep this up, and it will condition you well. As for when you were younger, it makes sense that you were breathing better. As you get older, your oxygen uptake decreases, as does your metabolism. Perfectly normal. Just keep up the training, and you should see improvements.

I would also suggest starting a strength training program if you haven't already. You don't have to come out looking like Arnold, but the more developed muscle you have, the more calories you will burn while at rest. DON'T NEGLECT YOUR LEGS. A lot of people fall into this, even a lot of gym rats. They'll go in, bench press and curl some dumbbells, and call it a day. "Beach muscles". Part of the problem in your knee may be that your leg muscles may be undeveloped, and you're top heavy, and/or that the muscles are tight. See, your quadricep muscles (front thigh) wrap around and attach at the knee. Try taking your fist and massaging your leg with the outer portion of it with your thumb. Also stretch after every workout. Don't forget your hamstrings when you train, either. Also, is your joint supplement glucosamine? If not, try that.

As for nutrition, stick to lean sources of protein (chicken, fish, eggs, stuff like that) and slow burning carbs. DO NOT NEGLECT CARBS, THEY ARE YOUR BODY'S MAIN SOURCE OF ENERGY. Slow burning carbs include whole wheat breads and pasta, sweet potatoes, brown rices and oats. Oats are a fucking wonderful thing for your body. And of course, lots of fruits and veggies. Also, a multi-vitamin wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

I know that was a lot, but see how it goes. All the best luck, man.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 3-3-2007 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Ugly
interval training

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 01:12 AM

Conditioning is key. I was in pisspoor shape due to five years of substance abuse and simple conditioning exercises we did in bootcamp worked great. Get on a track and run 1-2 laps, then drop and do an max push ups. Keep doing this and change exercises each go around, doing crunches, jumping jacks, 8-count bodybuilders etc. For the knee pain ibuprofen does wonders, I got a form of tendinitis around my knees because we ran on a rubber track and I was pretty fucking lazy beforehand so my body was not used to getting worked like that. I am a skinny bastard so I don't have to worry about the weight issue but my lungs are ravaged which slows me down still. I would suggest checking out some kickboxing or grappling classes if you have the time/money. Something along those lines is a fun and extremely effective way to get into better shape. Good luck man!
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 02:10 AM

Awosme ideas and I am going to use all the info. Thanks, the both of you. I wil do the interval running at the track. Money is tight so I may not be able to use the gym anymore. It will be mostly the local track and my basement. hte eating portion is already in effect. I loaded up with fish chicken veggies from the market. Also a huge box of oatmeal and I picked up a bottle of glucosamine.

Here we go.

CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 11:42 AM

All very good info. Gettinga few pounds off will help. Things that have helped me. Drink 1 gallon of water a day. Also, get most of your carbs in the first half of the day.

Also one thing that is really over looked is rest. Rest is key. Sleep is crucial and resting your body. Don't go from zero to 60. Take your time and above all be safe and be patient.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 06:20 PM

So far so good. I dropped to 228. Not a significant amount but I am happy so far. My eating has not changed much and that is what I contribute to the low total. However I am going to follow the advice of 1 gallon of water a day. Starting right now I am going to fill a tuperware container and use that as my guide.

My gym membership is over and I am broke so I am going to try this cheaply and since the weather is breaking I will utilize the local track.

Since runnig more my knee is really still bothering me still. I even bought a foam brace and it does help me last longer but It still hurts the next day. I am going to set an apointment for a doctor to look at it soon. Hopefully things are ok.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 06:31 PM

i took something called mobic for my knees for a while.
worked like a charm. my knee pain was gone literally overnight.
after i dropped a few pounds and my script ran out, switched to ibuprofen.
that's working pretty well for me now.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.

Go To Top