Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Debt Collector tips...
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-9-2007 at 07:30 AM
Debt Collector tips...

Ok, I have been a debt collector for a little over a year now. QUITE the interesting calls I get, I will tel lyou that much. I have learned some stuff that may help some people out in future collection situations.

Here's a rough "list" of stuff:

1.) If the collector "puts you on hold" and there is no hold music, there is a good chance you are just on mute and they can hear everything you say.

2.) Some clients give the collectors settlement authority, sometimes from 80% off all the way to 50% off. Just ask if there is any way you could pay less or straight up ask if they have any settlement authority.

3.) If sending payments or documents to the collection agency, make sure to follow there steps EXACTLY as told. I swear this is used to keep the disputes from not being cleared up.... "Well, did you put the file number at the top of the documents you sent? No? Well, you'll have to send it again."

4.) If there is a fee for making a payment over the phone, ask if there is a way to avoid the fee, some kind of automated system possibly.

5.) There are currently 7 states that 3rd party collection agencies can't charge a fee for taking payments over the phone. CO, MA, MN, WI, IL...... Unfortunatly, I can't remember the rest ;)

6.) If you setup a payment plan, stick with it. Because if it breaks, more than likely they wont be able to set it up for the same ammount and will request a higher payment plan.

7.) Just because it's in collections, doesn't mean it is already on your credit report. Some companies will give the actual agency the power to report it to the credit bureau, so make sure and ask.

8.) If the agency says that they report to the credit bureau but the account has not been reported at the time, the only way to 100% avoid it being reported is to pay it in full right then and there. Setting up a payment plan will NOT hold it from being reported.

Now, for some more specific to what I handle (car insurance)...

1.) When canceling a policy, you must do it at the END of the policy term to avoid what they call an "earned premium for early cancelation". This results in 90% of calls I do.

2.) When canceling a policy, DO IT IN WRITING. Make a copy of it, possibly even have the agent sign and date it.

3.) If you just switch insurance companies, the other company may continue to cover you (which is overlapping insurance). You need to make sure they have proof of your new insurance to stop coverage.

Thats about it for now.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 3-9-2007 at 09:14 AM

Good info.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 3-9-2007 at 09:20 AM

Thanks bro, hopefully I never have to deal with that kind of shit, but nice to know.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-9-2007 at 09:32 AM

When I lived in Brooklyn there was another dude with my same name that collectors were calling me about sonstantly. sucked, cause as you know, they tend not to believe you when you thell them, "you've got the wrong guy." usually, i'd ask for a manager right away, give them part of my social and be down with it.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-9-2007 at 09:42 AM

my brother was having trouble with collectors because his new phone number had belonged to some guy who they were looking for. it took him a while to straighten that one out.
joe

Mood: death threat

[*] posted on 3-9-2007 at 09:43 AM

thanks
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-9-2007 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
When I lived in Brooklyn there was another dude with my same name that collectors were calling me about sonstantly. sucked, cause as you know, they tend not to believe you when you thell them, "you've got the wrong guy." usually, i'd ask for a manager right away, give them part of my social and be down with it.

Yup, happens quite a bit. It's from "skiptracing", they look for people in the area with that name and put it on the file. Some of the files come with next to no info for some damn reason. Last 4 digits of ssn usually works, but some of our files don't even have the ssn, in that case I just ask if they ever lived at the original address on the file. Fun stuff.

Another tip...

If they have the wrong number and ask you to confirm the number, do it! or they will keep calling you. The systems are automated and can missdial so they ask us to verify the number before removing it so we know the number on the file is wrong and it's not just a missdial.

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-9-2007 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
my brother was having trouble with collectors because his new phone number had belonged to some guy who they were looking for. it took him a while to straighten that one out.

I had a call from a guy with this number
877-2890

Our number is
1-877-289-0281

SOOOO, everyone in his area code trying to dial our company without remembering to put the "1" was contacting this guy and wondering why he called them. I am guessing he would get his number changed. I know I would.

Go To Top