Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CBGB CLOSING?
BDx13
Super Administrator

thumbdown.gif posted on 2-18-2005 at 04:59 AM
CBGB CLOSING?

This pops up in the news every few years. It's happened to countless outher NYC clubs, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to CB's as well...

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/40710.htm

HEEBIE-JEEBIES

By LEONARD GREENE

The legendary downtown club that ushered in American punk rock is in danger of being priced out of its longtime haunt.

CBGB is facing the prospect of shutting down when its lease expires in August ? and its annual rent could reach nearly half a million dollars.

For more than 30 years, CBGB has anchored the Bowery with its eclectic mix of live bands.

When owner Hilly Kristal opened the club in 1972, rent was a mere $600 a month for the space under a Bowery flophouse.

But now that the neighborhood has become chic ? that is, pricey ? Kristal's rent could reach almost $40,000 a month, twice what the Village Voice says is now $20,000.

Supporters of the club have said CBGB was a vital force in bettering the neighborhood it may now have to leave.

Punks and professors alike have jammed into the grungy CBGB to hear headliners like a wacky punk group from Forest Hills, Queens, called The Ramones, and The Stilettos, better known by their later name, Blondie.

The club also auditioned bands on Monday nights; one of its biggest successes was The Talking Heads.

Despite the astronomic rent ? and an insurance tab the Voice reported at $80,000 a year ? the club's management hopes to stick it out.

"We're not closing," said Lisa Kristal, Hilly's daughter. "We're trying to negotiate."

CBGB is not the only club struggling with soaring expenses.

"It's a tough time in general," said Melissa Caruso Scott, co-owner of Tonic, a live music club on Norfolk Street.

Tonic's rent has doubled since opening seven years ago, and Scott doesn't expect to make up the difference with more expensive drinks and a higher cover charge.

Scott did not say what her new rent will be.

Suffice it to say that it's high enough for Tonic to have to hold a "Webathon" to raise money for the musical cause.

The Tonic Web site, which usually gives directions to the club and a list of upcoming performers, reads like a pledge drive for National Public Radio.

"We still have a long way to go, but we're off to good start," Scott said. "We've gotten a huge response."

The site is also filled with testimonials from musicians and patrons from Staten Island to Sweden.

"I know the musicians and the audience will come through on this because it is important to have this kind of diversity in music and in people in New York City," wrote Michael Hentz, a music promoter from Syracuse. "A place like this needs to be saved."

In addition to financial donations from patrons, Tonic is also getting musical donations from acts who are scheduling gigs to raise money for the club.

Among the scheduled acts are Sean Lennon and Yoko Ono, who will celebrate her 72nd birthday Saturday on the Tonic stage.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
brooklyn

Mood: HC & streetpunkrock

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 05:49 AM

let's cross our fingers it wont happen
too much fantastic HC history there

T.C.O.B.
Big Ugly

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 12:21 PM

CB's can't fucking close. That place should be considered an historical landmark. Hell, if they start asking for donations to keep the doors open I will definately send some cash.

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 12:30 PM

two years ago it was NYU saying they were gonna buy it and convert the area to dorms. Now this. We'll see what happens.

Dominicanedge

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 12:46 PM

well, they do have dorrms right next door.

c-rap.com
YOU BETTER ASK SOMEBODY
Killthehumans

Mood: simon and garfunkal

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 01:14 PM

If they they do sell it, who does cb's pay rent too?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 01:15 PM

no doubt. the bottom line was another well known (more classic rock, i think) venue that was forced to close by nyu. and i think nyu wound up putting in a starbucks in it's place. seriously.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Dominicanedge

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 01:54 PM

NYU also bought and closed down The Paladium.

c-rap.com
YOU BETTER ASK SOMEBODY

Go To Top