Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Bridge 9 takes issue with 'Youth of Togay'
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-15-2007 at 07:24 AM

B9's response to the situation, as reported by queerpunks.com, a site I never knew existed:

Hi Adam,

There was no ?cease & desist? or legal action taken, all someone from B9 did was email MySpace to pull the songs down because the band didn?t think it was funny. No lawyers, nothing like that, just a ?This isn?t funny, and they?re using our song? type of email, so I guess the page got pulled. Personally I can appreciate a good parody but no one at B9 or in Have Heart found ?Youth Of ToGay? to be funny at all.

Another thing to note is that the ?Fair Use? statute listed by YOTG *also* includes:

?The distinction between ?fair use? and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission.?

Thanks!
- Chris
B9

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 3-15-2007 at 11:50 AM

How can somebody NOT find Youth of the Gay funny.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 07:39 AM

YOUTH OF TOGAY RETURNS!

Posted on YOTG's Blog:
www.myspace.com/seriouslyhardcoreisalreadywickedgay
ADD THEM!

Here we are. Back with a Dong! So many questions! We figured it might be easier to answer all of your wonderful questions right here! Enjoy!

1. What Happened?

Bridge 9 Records contacted Myspace and sent a "Copyright Infringement" to admins in regards to YOTG posted cover and featured art parody of Have Heart's new album The Things We Carry. Myspace in turn deleated our previous profile. We tried repeatedly to contact Myspace in respond but we did not and have not recieved any response.

2. Why Are You Back On Myspace?

Sure, we feel like we were not treated fairly or justly. However Myspace is alot like Money or Grape Jelly. Sure it's the root of all evil, but we would be stupid to think that we could survive without it. Simply because we dont like the idea of it, doesnt mean that it does not serve a valuable purpose for us. Much like how money pays our rent and grape jelly is delicious with Fluff, Myspace provides invaluable promotion for our band. Somehow we got our previous URL back. Which is pretty sweet.

3. What Happened to the Have Heart Track?

The Have Heart track now lives at http://www.purevolume.com/youthoftogay along with THREE more new tracks that are not on the Myspace page! The Have Heart track is also now available for DOWNLOAD!

4. Arn't Bridge9 and Have Heart Dong Bags for Making Such a Stink?

All us highly respect Bridge9 and Have Heart. All of us are huge Have Heart fans. This band is amazing and The Things We Carry is by far one of the best hardcore records of the year. HH message is one that we respect, admire and believe in. Bridge 9 is one of the best hardcore labels in the world. They release some of the best bands out right now. We also very much respect all of the staff@ Bridge 9. One of our memebers even interned there for a year. However, we all feel that the decisions and actions made reciently in response to our cover of HH, came as a big surprise to us. We do not agree with their position. But, simply becuse we disagree does not make either of us wrong... we are just seeing things differentilly. Bridge 9 will continue to put out great records and Have HEart will continue to be a great band. YOTG will also continue with...whatever it is we are doing.

5. Let's Talk Copyrights.

Copyright laws are a tricky thing. Like most laws, they are vague and left up to interpretation. The Fair Use statute is even more tricky. In regards to parody you can find just as many cases where the parody was illegal...as cases where it was legal. But lets put it in a scope where it can be easily grasped. SOUTH PARK, SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, MAD MAGAZINE, BANSKY, MAD TV, CRACKED, WIERD AL YANKOVIC....all parody artists who survive on the Fair Use Act. Most do not seek permission from the original source before paroding it. Most opperate under the firm belief that it is legal to parody a source, regardless of permission...which it is.. This is the same law that allows YOTG to rerecord, parody and produce music without legal recourse. You can read the full Fair Use Act Here: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

6. Is it True That YOTG is One Person?

YOTG is a core group of three frineds with very similar music tastes. We have a handful of frineds who contribute and help write and record our music. However, Pat's solo album Poopy-Cock-N-Much and The Skidmark 5 will be out this SUmmer on Warner Brothers Records. Check it out.

7. How Can I Get A copy of Your Records?

As of this writing none of our records have been officially released. We have 17 songs recorded and slated for release. 6 songs will be released this Spring on the "Want More Guys" 7" EP. Later this year we will be releasing a 4 song EP titled "The Dongs We Carry". Follwing this will be our "s/t" 7" and a split 7" with a yet-to-be-chosen band. All of these releases will be available through this page, the FNS Webstore and select distributors.

8. Wow, The Whole B9/HH Thing is All Over The Internet!

We sent a select number of media outlets a press release. We were contacted by our friends at www.queerpunks.com who offered to help us get the word out. We are VERY apreciative of their help and support. Most major Punk News Sites have run the story.

9. Are You Just Capitalizing on This Controversy to Sell More Records?

While publicity in any circumstance is welcome, capitalizing on publicity has been the last thing on our minds. When queerpunks.com contacted us about helping spread the word, we very clearly told them that if they were to help us that the press releases were to state the facts...and the facts only without bias to either party in hopes that it creates some dialogue about the rampant homophobia in hardcore. All reports on this state the facts only. And in most cases have covered B9's response more often than ours. Although, on second thought it has prompted more demand for the song which B9 did not want heard. Kind of a funny thing if you ask us. The HH song has gotten over 3,000 plays in the past week.

10. Are You Guys Really Gay?

You can read a great interview we did on the FNS Blog. It answers this question and many more! www.blog.myspace.com/fnsrecords

11. Do You Hate Gay People?

I love gay people. YOTG has never and will never put homosexuals in a negative light through lyrics, or art. We take a jovial, fun and empowering stance on Gay Related issues. A large portion of all of the profits made from our record sales to gay related charities.

12. Will I ever Get To See YOTG Live?

As of right now YOTG is a studio only band. We all have a ton of stuff going on in our lives that are not conducive to performing live. Including that one of us lives in LA and the others still live in Boston. But, we will be performing sometime in the future. We have been toying with the idea of promoting a HUGE queerxcore festival sometime in the upcoming year. Stay Tuned!

Well these have been the most common questions lately. We'll add more as they come. Thanks for reading and rememebr...STAY GAY!

www.myspace.com/seriouslyhardcoreisalreadywickedgay
www.purevolume.com/youthoftogay

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
stateofdisgrace

Mood: Kill Your Idols, H2O and Eminem

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 02:16 PM

They made them take down The Gaychinist from purevolume, too..

I also didn't forget about sending everyone the Gayrilla Biscuits. I just haven't been able to use that yousendit thing yet.........
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 09:34 PM

B9's anti-punk and fun apparently.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top