Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Hardcore: Stick the fork in it.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 06:55 PM

"The problem is communication.....too much communication."
-Homer Simpson

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
xcadmusx

Mood: old shit nobody likes anymore

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
I'd rather listen to the Cranberries than AF.

I'd rather listen to The Cranberries than 99.9% of any other music. And I'm very serious about that ;)

Visit Back To Back on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/backtobacklvhc
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 09:06 PM

Let's just face it... we're all at this weird point in our lives where hardcore sucks now. I'm not sure if it really has anything to do with the state of the scene today as much as it does that we're growing up and raising kids some of us and damn it all... we don't have time for that shit. If we were our age and raising kids 20 years ago in the hey day we'd probably have the same attitudes. It's too much goddamn work, and WAAAAY more work in the days when the internet wasn't the main form of communication for youth culture. Seriously... remember when you had to search for new bands or go to shows to hear a new band? Remember when you had to buy their demo tapes? That shit don't happen anymore... demos are on fuckin myspace and that shit is saturated with 20 shitty ass hardcore/punk bands to each one good one.

How many fuckin people get the heart and soul of it anyways? Even the ones that are "down?" How many of these kids have always been on the outside of the cliques and bullshit? You know... when I got into hardcore I was 17-18 years old and I'd always been on the outside of every clique and group in school and certainly wasn't high on the income bracket... I didn't even fit in with the band geeks and smart dorks. Hardcore/punk felt like home, and guess what? I was on the outside of damn near every clique in there too. Outcast amongst the outcast and all that shit. Hell, I'm still like that with my co-religionists. Being a tattooed white Shi'a Muslim ain't all that cool in the Muslim world.

Goddamn, these faggots these days DON'T express much individuality at all. Posers and the cats who are "down" all the fucking same. "Poser" today means people who don't have the right look and don't listen to the right bands amongst the bands that all sound like Hatebreed.

necrobutcher

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 01:14 AM

Just to add my two cents....

Hardcore grows and evolves, just like punk. Right now it's in a strange place. I see a lot of bands really doing something carrying on what it should be (in my eyes at least). It should be dancing, having a good time, tackling your friends, goofing off and enjoying being at a show since it's a release from the day to day bullshit.
I see a lot of that shit still going in some places. I look at Wisdom in Chains as really going into a place where it seems like it came from. The fact they are rocking Cock Sparrer covers and talking about punk makes me a happy man. Right now they are playing a lot of shit that feels like it's coming from a different place then where a lot of bands are at the moment.
Another thing I think of is a lot of the Baltimore bands. Good times and a lot of goofy shit. Every time I see any of those bands its a good show and usually ends up at a titty bar. That's what the whole thing is to me. Enjoying being a little off the beaten path but no matter what, you know what you're into and you enjoy it. Granted, there are a lot of idiots but that's the nature of anything. I love BDSM just like I love punk/hardcore/oi but I realize there are just as many pieces of trash as there are decent people.
Fuck, I remember when I was getting into it JNCO pants and those fat bead necklaces where the style. I was into more skinhead style at the time so I found that odd but still, there was some stuff I found that I loved the fuck out of. As long as there is still something there I enjoy and find fun in, I'm still into it.
A buddy of mine constantly bitches about younger kids in our area that hate punk/oi, only like hardcore and mosh like douchebags. I can see his point since it periodically gets on my nerves but when it comes down to it, that's what the younger fellas are like. They have fun and start bands, book shows and try their asses off. That's ok to me as well.
Is there a point? Fuck it. I guess it's all perspective in how you see things and what you grew up with. I remember talking about shows with a gentleman from a band that's been around a while and he told me something that sticks in my head. That being, "as long as you have fun at a show, keep going to shows."
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 08:21 AM

I've actually been finding some decent hardcore punk rock type bands, just the way ma used to make em. You have to put forth an effort, if you care to, to find em, but there out there. The only band I can think of post 1995 that really got my attention in "the scene" is Blood for Blood of course, and with it looking like they are dead and buried who knows what the future holds for hardcore. I'd rather listen to honky tonk, psycho, swing, spook surf and even some non gay horror type punk bands. Oh and the car I got..........only sticker I put on it was BfB, couldn't resist. Every vehicle I have owned has had a BfB sticker on it, tradition ya know?
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 01:29 PM

I want to read this thread but right now I don't have time.

Madonna rules. I miss the days when I could bitch about her being on MTV every hour.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
stateofdisgrace

Mood: Kill Your Idols, H2O and Eminem

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 01:31 PM

My wife won tickets to see her at the Garden a few years back. We were in the
dance pit on the side of the stage. I just watched her in amazement!
One of the best live shows I've seen in quite sometime...
All praises due to Madonna!
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 01:51 PM

I don't like to complain about how hardcore "used to be good" or how it sucks now because it'll just make me feel old, and I havent been into this stuff half as long as most of you. Lately... if the music moves me then I like it. That's about it. I try not to really care about labels.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 02:06 PM

I think this thread has kind of spiraled into a hardcore ethics type debate which is almost impossible to quantify and depends greatly on your emotional state at any given time multiplied by your age subtracted by the square root of somthing else...

Your belief in the hardcore attitude or lifestyle could very well never diminish regardless of scene popularity or bastardization...I think my commentary was more of a musical one when I mentioned the going through the motions.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 02:09 PM

I find myself listening to less and less hardcore these days. I still listen to the bands I love, but I'm not actively searching out bands these days like I used to, and that's because I'm usually disappointed in what I find. Most of the new bands I'm checking out these days are punk and oi, or psychobilly, or straight up rock bands.

I definitely agree with Boycott on several points, but in particular the point about there being way too many labels out there. It seems like there are very few bands out there that aren't signed to a "label" of some kind. Of course, these labels usually end up being started by some dude with a few bucks that is friends with a couple of bands. These "labels" put out one or two releases and then fade away after six months when their friend's bands break up.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 02:36 PM

i could care less
as a wise man once said
it all gets the gay eventually
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 06:58 PM

It's been over for a long time now. That's not to say that the occasional band doesn't come along and play great HC, but it will NEVER be what it was. I don't mean that it will just never be as good for me personally as it used to be, I mean that there is no way that bands can possibly come along now and be as mind blowing and ground breaking as so many of them were back in the day. Not in this genre anyway. Seriously, who can ever come close to recreating the feeling that Bad Brains created with their early records and performances? Who can ever take things to the next level like some of the old Detroit bands like Negative Approach did? Who is creating a movement the way Minor Threat did? Who out there is going to inspire people in every crowd that hears them to change their life in some way or to finally feel like they might actually belong to something that is bigger than themselves? Nobody. Nobody is even trying to do anything like that anymore. All that most bands want to do now is get signed to the "cool label", sell a bunch of versions of one or two records and move on to the next trend. It's not what it was and it never CAN be that again.

Veritas odium parit
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 07:01 PM

I think the last band to be relevant along the lines that Minor Threat was is Vegan Reich... and I don't particularly care what your slant on VR's positions were or whatever... one thing they did that no one else did was single-handedly inspired TONS of kids to go vegan and/or vegetarian. That set the stage for pretty much the entire 90s.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 08:35 PM

Sorry dude, but Vegan Reich were assclowns.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 09:05 AM

Hardcore is a state in the punk rock nation, and like any state there are some cities you just don't want to visit.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
Lucabrasi
Posting Freak

Mood: f-minus

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 04:23 PM

Living in Vermont my whole life really makes it hard to be involved in the scene because there really isnt one here ( Well maybe in Burlington) so as for my stance on the current state of hardcore its hard for me to make a good judgment because im so far from the scene. I do agree on the whole jockish mentality alot of the newer people seem to have and I see a few people who were jocks in my highschool all into hardcore and it kinda pisses me off. As well as hardcore bands who just growl into the mic . Its something I will NEVER like.For me punk/hardcore has always been something to keep me going. I remember getting into punk back in 94 and just fell in love with it. There were acouple punks and skins in my area and we all hungout and would goto shows in Burlington and just fuck off. I didnt get into punk because it was a trend like I think alot of the kids do today. It was a way for me to be happy with being an outcast and be around others just like me. I wish things were still like that but things need to progress as does music and im completly unsure of what the next "thing" in hardcore has in store for us.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 06:43 PM

The Bad Vibes were the best thing in the hardcore jungle to hit the streets in Philly since I was a kid.
Regardless of whatever, that's the real deal to me.
To me, that feels like hard core.
Stuff like that is few and far between.
The attitude, music and stuff.
I'm speaking only in thought particles at the moment
Its been a fuckin shitty afternoon.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline

Regardless of what you think of them, they had a purpose in a climate that was distinctly against people being vegan in the hardcore/punk scene which explains the uncompromising attitude and more importantly... there hasn't been a band as relevant as they were to making the kind of difference of attitudes and creating a movement within hardcore/punk along the same lines as Minor Threat. The Hardline EP is the reason that vegan straight edge exists to this day and has undeniably had as much an impact on the world of hardcore as did Minor Threat and straight edge.

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

Mood: pissed off

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stateofdisgrace
I don't know if I'd go that far. There are some good bands out there making it memorable for others. I'd say the East Coast is dying. I mean, the Superbowl is a prime example. We have to rehash bands and get reunions going just get folks to pay attention. The new breed of young kids look at all this metaled up stuff and call it "hardcore."
No one pays attention to the roots of the music......

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
It's been over for a long time now. That's not to say that the occasional band doesn't come along and play great HC, but it will NEVER be what it was. I don't mean that it will just never be as good for me personally as it used to be, I mean that there is no way that bands can possibly come along now and be as mind blowing and ground breaking as so many of them were back in the day. Not in this genre anyway. Seriously, who can ever come close to recreating the feeling that Bad Brains created with their early records and performances? Who can ever take things to the next level like some of the old Detroit bands like Negative Approach did? Who is creating a movement the way Minor Threat did? Who out there is going to inspire people in every crowd that hears them to change their life in some way or to finally feel like they might actually belong to something that is bigger than themselves? Nobody. Nobody is even trying to do anything like that anymore. All that most bands want to do now is get signed to the "cool label", sell a bunch of versions of one or two records and move on to the next trend. It's not what it was and it never CAN be that again.

People said the same thing about punk and, at least in Boston, punk is very alive with great bands that aren't just trying to get signed. No...you can't really go back and do what Bad Brains or Minor Threat did but you can't live in the past and compare every band that comes along now to the past. If you keep on doing that then of course it's gonna die, cause you're helping it. Not every band is out there trying to get signed. If you never let go of the past, hardcore bands today will suffer for it. No one's looking for another Minor Threat cause it's been done. You just have to find bands that are still trying and support them.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 03:26 PM

That's kinda what I'm saying though, Joe. I'm not looking for someone to do what those bands did, they did it and noone else can. I'm just saying that nobody is ever gonna take things to those levels in their own way anymore. Everything is just retread or watered down bullshit following trends.

Veritas odium parit
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
Quote:

Regardless of what you think of them, they had a purpose in a climate that was distinctly against people being vegan in the hardcore/punk scene which explains the uncompromising attitude and more importantly... there hasn't been a band as relevant as they were to making the kind of difference of attitudes and creating a movement within hardcore/punk along the same lines as Minor Threat. The Hardline EP is the reason that vegan straight edge exists to this day and has undeniably had as much an impact on the world of hardcore as did Minor Threat and straight edge.

I'm not trying to start an argument here by any means, but I have to disagree. I don't think veganism has anywhere near the impact of Minor Threat and sXe. The vegan contingent has never been a big thing, and I don't think it can even be compared to sXe because, while both are lifestyle choices, they have nothing in common. One is choosing to abstain from intoxicants and substances that can alter ones mind and possibly destroy ones body. Choosing whether or not to be vegan doesn't have the same impact. Eating steak and eggs with a glass of milk while wearing a leather jacket isn't going to alter my mind or thinking process. Getting drunk and smoking dust on the other hand, will most definitely affect my mental facilities. One is choice of living clean,sober, and alert, the other is a choice to not use animal products. I don't see a huge similarity.

The reason I take issue with Vegan Reich is for their statements comparing people eating meat to those who gassed jews in nazi death camps. Statements like that don't prove devotion to one's cause, they show the complete ignorance of the person speaking it.

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
That's kinda what I'm saying though, Joe. I'm not looking for someone to do what those bands did, they did it and noone else can. I'm just saying that nobody is ever gonna take things to those levels in their own way anymore. Everything is just retread or watered down bullshit following trends.

i wasn't trying to pick you out of everyone to try and tear you a new one. you had the best general statement about it and so i used your comment to spring board into the point i was trying to make. when i said "you" i meant people in general, not you specifically. sorry if that came out the wrong way.

i still think it's possible to take things to those levels in their own way, just have to be patient though. i dunno. it's always hard to follow the originators of a certain genre. cause then a lot of the times you just end up being a copy cat and such. it's rough for bands that aren't following trends and are just doing it for the love of music. cause you also get lumped into the "doing it cause it's trendy now" category. it's a tricky situation.

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
Quote:

I'm not trying to start an argument here by any means, but I have to disagree. I don't think veganism has anywhere near the impact of Minor Threat and sXe. The vegan contingent has never been a big thing, and I don't think it can even be compared to sXe because, while both are lifestyle choices, they have nothing in common. One is choosing to abstain from intoxicants and substances that can alter ones mind and possibly destroy ones body. Choosing whether or not to be vegan doesn't have the same impact. Eating steak and eggs with a glass of milk while wearing a leather jacket isn't going to alter my mind or thinking process. Getting drunk and smoking dust on the other hand, will most definitely affect my mental facilities. One is choice of living clean,sober, and alert, the other is a choice to not use animal products. I don't see a huge similarity.

The reason I take issue with Vegan Reich is for their statements comparing people eating meat to those who gassed jews in nazi death camps. Statements like that don't prove devotion to one's cause, they show the complete ignorance of the person speaking it.

i'm gonna have to agree with you on this one. especially cause i know a ton of vegans.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 10:36 PM

they have dust in canada?
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top