Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cover songs...
xcadmusx

Mood: old shit nobody likes anymore

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 12:01 AM
Cover songs...

I was thinking about this subject while listening to the two songs on the SOIA tribute...

When it comes to bands doing cover songs, what do you prefer:

covering other bands of a similar genre (if so, is it better to play the song as close to the original as possible or put a different spin on it?)
or
covering a band of a different genre and doing it in their own style?

When the Misfits tribute came out years ago, I had several friends bitching about it because the songs didn't sound like the way the Misfits did them at first. Personaly, I would rather hear a band take a song and make it their own by playing it in their own style. It just seems pointless to me to try to make the song sound exactly the same.

Overall, however, I tend to enjoy hearing songs covered that are really from out of left field and not what you'd expect. I almost get dissappointed when a new sXe band plays a YOT/Judge/Minor Threat song because it seems so obvious... same goes for similar examples of bands covering bands from their own genre. I don't mind it all the time, but it seems like you're expecting it when you hear the cover. I loved that H2O covered Madonna and Stretch Armstrong covered Pink, it was just very clever and made those songs fun. We cover the Cranberries because a)they are my favorite band next to SOIA and b) nobody would expect it from us if they heard the rest of the shit we play.

So, what about the rest of you? (at least this is one less subject complaining about the same old shit, lol)

Visit Back To Back on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/backtobacklvhc
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 12:26 PM

I don't really care about what a band covers, as long as they do it well. I agree that sXe bands covering YOT and such got old many years ago. It's cool when a band does a song from a completely different genre as long as they do it well.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
necrobutcher

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 01:57 PM

For Violent World, I liked it since there were a lot of different styles on it. I'll be the first to say I don't like Earth Crisis but their cover of Earth A.D. is fucking vicious. The only complaint is I heard Type O Negative wanted to do Vampira but it never came to be.

In general for cover songs, I dig when a band puts there on style into it instead of just regurgitating what another band did.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by necrobutcher
For Violent World, I liked it since there were a lot of different styles on it. I'll be the first to say I don't like Earth Crisis but their cover of Earth A.D. is fucking vicious. The only complaint is I heard Type O Negative wanted to do Vampira but it never came to be.

In general for cover songs, I dig when a band puts there on style into it instead of just regurgitating what another band did.

id like to hear that type o version.
is it available anywhere?
violent world was great.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
It's cool when a band does a song from a completely different genre as long as they do it well.

I like when they keep it true to the original as well.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
Quote:
It's cool when a band does a song from a completely different genre as long as they do it well.

I like when they keep it true to the original as well.

Agreed on both counts
MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 09:55 AM

Walt, what Cranberries cover do you do?

Cover songs are awesome. Whether they cover Hardcore or any other genre, it has to be somewhat unique or it just sounds like shit no matter what.

xcadmusx

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MyOwnWay
Walt, what Cranberries cover do you do?

"Salvation"

We even put our own little "twist" on the end, lol. If you want to hear a recording of it, go to Back To Back on Trig.com (if it allows you to just view the site without being registered). I'm not thrilled abou tthe recording, it's more of a live song, but you'd get the idea...

Muttley

Mood: OVERKILL

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 10:55 AM

Quote:

I'm 100% with this.

BCS did a version of "Pressure" by Billy Joel that I'm particularly proud of... I'm still tryin to record some Police covers and some other stuff, either with one of my bands or as my own side project thing.

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

Mood: pissed off

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xcadmusx
I was thinking about this subject while listening to the two songs on the SOIA tribute...

When it comes to bands doing cover songs, what do you prefer:

covering other bands of a similar genre (if so, is it better to play the song as close to the original as possible or put a different spin on it?)
or
covering a band of a different genre and doing it in their own style?

When the Misfits tribute came out years ago, I had several friends bitching about it because the songs didn't sound like the way the Misfits did them at first. Personaly, I would rather hear a band take a song and make it their own by playing it in their own style. It just seems pointless to me to try to make the song sound exactly the same.

Overall, however, I tend to enjoy hearing songs covered that are really from out of left field and not what you'd expect. I almost get dissappointed when a new sXe band plays a YOT/Judge/Minor Threat song because it seems so obvious... same goes for similar examples of bands covering bands from their own genre. I don't mind it all the time, but it seems like you're expecting it when you hear the cover. I loved that H2O covered Madonna and Stretch Armstrong covered Pink, it was just very clever and made those songs fun. We cover the Cranberries because a)they are my favorite band next to SOIA and b) nobody would expect it from us if they heard the rest of the shit we play.

So, what about the rest of you? (at least this is one less subject complaining about the same old shit, lol)

i think it all depends on the song and the band covering the song. i have a weezer tribute that some bands go off and add their own spin to it and it's amazing. then at the same time, the bands add their own spin and the song fucking blows. it's really hard to say. adding your own spin is always nice but changing it so much that it fucks with it (unless it's done as a joke, for example: see the covers the unseen did on their first two full lengths) can be bad. so, sometimes it works other times just straight ahead covers work, kinda like darkbuster doing "riot squad" by cock sparrer. it sounds like the original but is still good and not boring.

Muttley

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Overall, however, I tend to enjoy hearing songs covered that are really from out of left field and not what you'd expect. I almost get dissappointed when a new sXe band plays a YOT/Judge/Minor Threat song because it seems so obvious... same goes for similar examples of bands covering bands from their own genre. I don't mind it all the time, but it seems like you're expecting it when you hear the cover.

I agree with this too. Hardcore bands need to stop doing the following covers:
Warzone
Cro-Mags
Breakdown
Agnostic Front
"Crucified"

It's just tired already.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttley
Quote:
Overall, however, I tend to enjoy hearing songs covered that are really from out of left field and not what you'd expect. I almost get dissappointed when a new sXe band plays a YOT/Judge/Minor Threat song because it seems so obvious... same goes for similar examples of bands covering bands from their own genre. I don't mind it all the time, but it seems like you're expecting it when you hear the cover.

I agree with this too. Hardcore bands need to stop doing the following covers:
Warzone
Cro-Mags
Breakdown
Agnostic Front
"Crucified"

It's just tired already.

Add to that list:

Negative Approach
Bold
Gorilla Biscuits

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 08:29 PM

I used to have Too Legit For the Pit but have lost it again, can't find the mp3's anywhere now either. That had so many cool covers on it.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
upyerbum
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 08:32 PM

No-one ever covers GBH.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
stateofdisgrace

Mood: Kill Your Idols, H2O and Eminem

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 10:29 PM

We are covering "Burning Fight" by Inside Out. It sounds cool, but I don't have that little girl voice Zack has when he screams. The guys play it well.
I like the version of "Pressure" by BCS. Its cool.

Muttley tried to get SD (State Of Disgrace) to do a Police cover, but the idea actually outlived the time he was in the band.

I think we are gonna twist something up, just not sure what.....

The drummer wants to do "Final Countdown" by Europe.....I'll hang myself first!
Muttley

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stateofdisgrace

Hold firm on that one... if you guys do that I don't even know you fuckers.

xcadmusx

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 12:44 AM

I haven't heard the "Pressure" cover... I can only imagine how great that has to be!

I wanted to cover "King Of Pain" years ago with my oldest band, but our friends, Bound, already did it. I still think that would be a great one to do. Just don't do "Roxeanne", lol.. please....

Oh, and I don't know... I really think I'd love to hear "The Final Countdown"! It would be fucking hilarious, sort of like Chokehold covering Motley Crue...

stateofdisgrace

Mood: Kill Your Idols, H2O and Eminem

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 10:26 AM

Hell No! I ain't singing "We're headed to Venus......." Freak No!

The drummer has it as his ringer when you call him, I hang up every time!

I'd love to take a BDP song like "My Philosophy" or "South Bronx" and turn that shit upside down!
Muttley

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
I'd love to take a BDP song like "My Philosophy" or "South Bronx" and turn that shit upside down!

BCS discussed an Eric B & Rakim song years ago but it could never come together.

I really wanted to do a version of Synchronicity II but it never really fit with any of my bands, plus a band called At A Loss from my area did it on a demo. Still might happen someday.

And if anyone wants to hear our version of Pressure I might upload it later tonight somehow....

MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 04:47 PM

One of you do a cover song that I can get on stage and sing with you.

upyerbum
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 07:41 PM

Quote:

Tell him Laibach already did it.

Muttley

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 12:18 AM

Billy Club Sandwich doing Pressure (from the Chin Music CD): http://www.sendspace.com/file/hcxwxx

defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 01:26 AM

Quote:
Billy Club Sandwich doing Pressure (from the Chin Music CD): http://www.sendspace.com/file/hcxwxx

I always wanted to cover this song
it's just hard as nails

other songs on my list
like a virign,
let's go crazy,
and
people are people by depeche mode...
xcadmusx

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 02:18 AM

Quote:

That was so worth it! "I'll tell you what the fuck it means!" lol... awesome.

Go To Top