Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Spare tire
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 08:09 PM
Spare tire

So I've lost a good bit of weight and have started shaping myself up a good deal, but I'm having real trouble shaking this spare tire thing. Y'know, love handles and gut combo that just hangs around my middle. Is there some good way to target that shit? Has this been covered in here already and if so, could somebody just link the thread? If not, does anybody have any really good info on how to attack that area in a good way?

I know I've stayed away from this forum and never really made any commitment to be a part of the whole thing in here, but here's what's been going on for me, fitness-wise. When I moved to Colorado from Texas, I was in my worst shape ever and at my heaviest weight. I had spent the previous two years working a computer job and getting no real execize while eating horribly. After moving here, I got a job that requires a good deal of physical activity on a daily basis, started eating better (not all that good all the time, but a thousand times better than before), and started losing weight. In these past two years or so, I have lost just over 60 pounds. I'm now hovering at 200 and go to the gym at my local rec center two or three times a week. I've gained quite a bit of muscle from both my job and my weekly workouts, so I guess my total fat loss is even more than the 60 pounds I mentioned. I have also gone from wearing size 40 pants to fitting comfortably in some size 35 Levi's 501's I got this past weekend.

I feel pretty good about all this, but I still really want to address the fat that is hanging on my torso and since I really can't afford to hire a personal trainer, I was hoping that one of my good Thorpsters would have some helpful advice for me. Like I said, this is mostly around my middle, but there's more fat than I would like to see spread all over my torso. In other words, I have some across my chest, under my armpits and then the typical handles and gut, with those last two being the biggest issues. Who has input for me?

Veritas odium parit
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 10:43 PM

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as spot reduction. There's no way to "target" a specific area to lose fat in. Keep up a clean diet and good exercise, drink plenty of water, and get rest.

Find a type of cardio you like doing (be it running, walking, jump rope, swimming, whatever) and do it. Strength training is also a great way to lose excess fat, but if you do start a strength training program, keep your eyes on the mirror, not the scale. Muscle is more dense than fat, and weighs more. But muscle weight is perfectly ok to have.

Browse through this forum, and you'll find advice given by myself and ChrisReed83...you should find what you need. Chris has linked to some excellent articles as well.
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 05:53 PM

drink beer.....
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 09:00 AM

Kid Ugly is correct. There are some things that you can do. Try Circuit Training and Interval training. Here's a tough circuit that is quick and effective:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3224902600571518938&...

Interval training is doing sprints, then jog and repeat. Real Quick here's an example. Warm up for a few minutes. Then sprint 30 to 40 seconds then slow down to about 50% effort. Repeat 7 more times then cool down for 5 minutes.

Also, do ab exercises. Find exercises that work the entire region-lower abs, middle, sides, upper and your lower back.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 10:06 PM

Thanks guys. This has always been the first area where weight shows up on me, so I guess it's gonna be the last to get where I want it. I'll look into the circuit training stuff, but I have pretty bad ankles and knees, so I don't do much in the way of running and all that. I am looking into getting myself a bike and riding as much as possible while it's not three feet deep in snow here.

Veritas odium parit
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 10:23 PM

60 pounds. damn, good for you.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Thanks guys. This has always been the first area where weight shows up on me, so I guess it's gonna be the last to get where I want it. I'll look into the circuit training stuff, but I have pretty bad ankles and knees, so I don't do much in the way of running and all that. I am looking into getting myself a bike and riding as much as possible while it's not three feet deep in snow here.

Your stomach and love handles are where you are gonna get first because you are a dude, it's inherent.
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 4-2-2007 at 09:07 PM

Start busting out those crunches. 50 when you wake up, 50 when you go to bed and work your way up to 100.

Go To Top