Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 90s Punk Documentary with NOFX, Offspring, Blink 182, Rancid, Green Day, Bad Religion
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 12:07 AM
90s Punk Documentary with NOFX, Offspring, Blink 182, Rancid, Green Day, Bad Religion

Robot Academy Films, an independent production company set up by two 22 year old Australian's are currently in production for a film on the 90's punk rock explosion titled One Nine Nine Four.

The documentary which is set to be a full length feature documents the birth, growth and explosion of punk rock in the 90's and features interviews with bands such as NOFX, the Offspring, Blink 182, Rancid, Bad Religion, Lagwagon and many more.

The 2 film makers have been residing in Los Angeles since January shooting interviews and collecting archival footage before returning to Australia this month to start editing. The film will be narrated by Tony Hawk and is yet to have distribution or a release date but will hit the festival circuit in 2008.

A very rough teaser trailer featuring Fat Mike, Green Day, Rancid, Scott Russo is available online: http://www.punknews.org/article/23059

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 01:09 AM

They shoulda called Nineteen Ninety Four instead of One Nine Nine Four. Lagwagon is sweet.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 01:13 AM

Sounds incredibly horrible and pointless.

Veritas odium parit
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 01:28 AM

yay. :cool:

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 03:23 AM

On the other hand, Propagandhi's DVD is going to be incredible, I can't wait to get it. Its over 4 hours long and has a good documentary with it plus a killer track list.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 07:18 AM

I will pass like gas on this one
I did like NOFX but that's where I draw the line
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 11:31 AM

hahaha. most of those listed are 80s bands anyway

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
xcadmusx

Mood: old shit nobody likes anymore

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 07:02 PM

Wow, that's really the time period that i had lost a lot of interest in "punk" music. What they should have said was the "mainstream punk" explosion. I love Bad Religion and I like a couple other bands mentioned, but these are really bands that blew up on mainstream success. If I get the chance to see it, I'll watch it out of curiosity, but I'm not going out of my way...

Visit Back To Back on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/backtobacklvhc
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 07:40 PM

i love everybodys incredibly narrow point of view when it comes to music....
ENDERA.x
Posting Freak

Mood: Icepick

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 07:44 PM

I remember watch one from 1996
it had like

454 big block
blink 182

ahhh i cant even remember now
anyone know the one im talking about it was called relapse, or .. re.. something. lol

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ENDERA.x
I remember watch one from 1996
it had like

454 big block
blink 182

ahhh i cant even remember now
anyone know the one im talking about it was called relapse, or .. re.. something. lol

Release. It was put out by Victory. I have a copy somewhere.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 08:34 PM

Hehe i got the Release VHS and when I got a DVD player I bought a new copy. That was a decent doco, Guerilla Warfare DVD's were way better though.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyfists28
i love everybodys incredibly narrow point of view when it comes to music....
Fuck that. Every band up there is either straight up horrible or a band that I see as being motivated almost entirely by money and fame. Knowing what you do and don't like isn't having a narrow view, it's part of life. And as for accusing me of narrow tastes, I listen to the widest variety of music of anyone I know. There are certain genres as a whole that I find absolutely unlistenable, but I like things as varied as Honky Tonk and Punk Rock. I dig old Blues, Ska/Reggae, Oi, Hard Core, Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Country, Rock 'n Roll, Folk, Shanties, Celtic, Pipes & Drums, Crooners, Soul, R&B, 60's Girl Groups, Doo Wop, Bluegrass, and so on and so forth. Sorry to go off on you, crazyfists, but it severely hacks me off to be told that I'm narrow minded.

Veritas odium parit
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 12:17 AM

Saint, let's be fair... isn't your only gripe with Rancid the fact that they are just doing what the Clash always did? They do it damn good too.

I don't remember Blink 182 being on Release... that joint had all the Victory bands on it and a couple NYHC bands like SOIA and Madball. Some of that posi stuff that was coming out then too.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
Saint, let's be fair... isn't your only gripe with Rancid the fact that they are just doing what the Clash always did? They do it damn good too.
Far from it. Number 1, ripping a band off blatantly is NOT the same as doing what they did. Second, I don't believe a word out of those fuckers' mouths. Third, they were the biggest two-faced rock star assholes I ever worked with. Fourth, their albums went from moderately bad to ridiculously laughable attempts to recreate their earlier success at only being moderately bad.

Veritas odium parit
ENDERA.x
Posting Freak

Mood: Icepick

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 03:01 AM

yeah blink 182 were on release lol
i remember asking myself why they were on it.

the Guerrilla Warfare doc's were good I have them on my computer, they were really hard to find.

One of the only punk bands I still listen to, well street punk I guess you could say, are The Unseen. At least out of the ones I liked about 8 years ago.

Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 06:31 AM

Blink 182, Mustard Plug, Bad Religion, Bouncing Souls, H20, Lifetime, Sick of it All, Ignite, Battery & a bunch of others band never on Victory were on the Release documentary.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 07:50 AM

anyone have that NYHC doccumentary?
the one with rick ta life's ugly mug on the cover.
it was only available on VHS
I never saw it
if any of you could make me a copy of it, i'll hook you up with some goodies.
my goodies are good.

i used to have a copy of release.
there was allot of cool stuff on it
Yuppicide, madball, and a bunch of pretty good stuff.
454 big block....havent heard them mentioned in years....

as for the thing..
i love bad religion up to a point. i dont think i ever really listened to anything after generator.
NOFX had some damn good stuff but i havent heard anything since Heavy Petting Zoo. In fact I don't even know if they're still around , are they?
I liked the first 3 Rancid cds allot but never heard anything after them.

offspring and blink 182 are just nauseating to me though.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 11:42 AM

Check yer u2u's.

xcadmusx

Mood: old shit nobody likes anymore

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
anyone have that NYHC doccumentary?
the one with rick ta life's ugly mug on the cover.
it was only available on VHS
I never saw it
if any of you could make me a copy of it, i'll hook you up with some goodies.
my goodies are good.

I'm sure Rick has a million copies of it in his store-on-wheels, lol. My boy bought it off of him not too long ago and, what a "suprise", it was a copy of a copy and was unwatchable. I've yet to see it, too.

As for the narrow-mindedness comment:
Yeah, a lot of people can be narrow minded when it comes to music, but I didn't really see anything going beyond people saying what they don't like according to there personal tastes. I honestly believe that the bands featured (that were named) were fo rthe most part bands that blew up in the mainstream and therefore I can't take it seriously as a "PUNK" documentary. I love Bad Religion, but at the time they were getting all of that attention they had put out their last (in my opinion) good album up until recently... and even now I don't think it compares to the old stuff. This is also not a "I hate all the new stuff" bullshit rant.

Blink 182? Green Day? Offspring? Maybe these bands started in the clubs and all, but every one of them jumped at the chance to become marketable and chase a dollar and played out an image rather more than a message. That shit's not punk, to me. But just because I don't like that stuff and I won't support them (and never did back then, either) doesn't make me narrow minded. I simply never thought they were any good and actually took them as pretty offensive to the real punk scene.

Visit Back To Back on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/backtobacklvhc

Go To Top