Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I think im going to quit my job....
Lucabrasi
Posting Freak

Mood: f-minus

[*] posted on 5-2-2007 at 08:21 PM
I think im going to quit my job....

Recently Ive been thinking about doing my freelance art for a living. As of now its only something I can do when I have free time from my full-time job as a dishwasher. Im 25 and a fucking dishwasher and I have this great talent (dont mean to gloat) which should be getting my full attention but its something thats been on the back burner for along time. Im really considering putting in my 2 weeks notice tomorrow from work and live off the money I have saved up (about $1500) I really feel I can do this. My life needs a drastic step and I think this would be the right step to take. If things dont go as planned I can always get another job..a better job then dishwashing for $7.85 an hour. Any of you guys have any advice for me on wheater I should do this?
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-2-2007 at 08:37 PM

Not that you have any reason to trust my opinion, but here's some useless commentary...

1) You're young enough that this should be the time to do something drastic like this... better now than when married and have a kid or two around.

2) $1500 won't last too long. This only buys you a few months. That might be fine if you're already selling your art on a somewhat steady basis, but otherwise, it doesn't give you much time to establish a sustainable clientele.

3) You might want to consider a part-time job so that you buy yourself some more time to do art (20 hrs/week part-time, 40+ hrs/week on art). Still a huge sacrifice on time, but let's you take more time to get things established.

4) Have you been doing art as some sort of job or side job up until now? Like designing artwork for bands (albums, shirts, etc). Something else to consider if you're a good artist is trying to get a tattoo apprenticeship. Not that I think people should rush into that, but the tattoo profession could always use good artists to push out some of the shitty hacks that just scar people. That definitely seems like a job that would allow you to focus on art while still making a living... one of the shops here also has an art gallery with regular showings (not that I've had to money to get any work done since moving here and living in poverty as a grad student). I guess the idea here is to look for something that allows you to be an artist (though perhaps in a different medium) and get paid while still giving you the time to progress in your work.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-2-2007 at 10:02 PM

good luck

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-2-2007 at 10:30 PM

id love to quit my job...to get another job im sure id hate in a few years...
Lucabrasi
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 08:55 AM

Random: Thats some very good advice. Thanks. I think looking for a part time job is a good thing for me to do. There are no tattoo shops in my town so I cant get a job at one of those. I have a big project down the road that im hoping comes sooner then later. Its a project for the state so im hoping they pay me alot of money :) Boycott, you're 100% right, the hardcore scene is hard to make alot of money off of. So many people want free work as if a designers time is worth nothing, that REALLY pisses me off. I have a business plan that I wrote acouple years ago that im going to follow closely to help me get as much money from these "neo-hardcore schmucks" as possible :)
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 09:28 AM

All I can say is don't live with regret. I started over at 29 and I'm doin' fine. Everything has a way of falling into place if you persevere.
Good luck, your work is good, I think you'll get plenty of business based on your talent.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 09:45 AM

I'd say go ahead and quit. I have a similar problem. My job takes a lot of time so I have very little time for drawing. And it pays me really well so I'm scared to quit because the most I ever made off art in a month was like $500. The thing is, my job is so boring and is the least creative thing in the world...sometimes when I get home and try to draw, nothing will come out. If I do draw out something it sucks. Also my art talents haven't developed like they should have over the last few years because I spend most of my time dealing with loans and money at work and not on art. Regardless, I'm gearing myself up to do the same thing you're doing...quit and move ahead with making money using my creative talents. I'm learning as much as I can about investing so I have something I can use to bring in money when art isn't cutting it.

forsaken

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 06:47 AM

I'm in a similar boat ... I'm nearly finished my 4-year apprenticeship as a plant mechanic/maintenance fitter which pays from $80,000 - $125,000 a year .... but to be honest, i'm really not that great at it and getting up at 4:50am everyday wears me out and i've decided i want to go to uni to study mechanical engineering ... which means 4 years of being broke and ending up in shitloads of debt, graduating at age 29 and earning less than i do now! ..... you just gotta follow your dreams man ... as long as you're healthy, have somewhere to sleep and food to eat you're doing fine.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 08:05 AM

Not to mention your hours will probably double being a mechanical engineer and you'll be salary. So it'll end up that instead of getting up early, making $35hr and going home early (unless your doing 12's or some wierd shift work) you'll be going in to work at 9, staying till 7 and your salary will end up breaking down to like $15hr., maybe $10 after medical expenses for the ulcers.

Not trying to be a shit, just saying you might not be that bad off where you are unless you REALLY hate it and love M.E.
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 5-5-2007 at 08:58 AM

ive been with pepsi for 7 years but definitely want to start something with a real future, not one that ends with me being a cripple from all the physical labor, so im contacting a cousin in florida that does court reporting and hopefully can start in on that, i'd rather take the time and learn a true skill that can be turned into a career than just keep doing the same job that i dont really like as it is...
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 5-5-2007 at 02:51 PM

You don't get anywhere in life without taking risks. The bigger the risk, the bigger the reward. Go for it.

Lucabrasi
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-6-2007 at 01:48 AM

I gave my notice 2 days ago. I hate having to do it because it is such a busy time of year for us and I didnt want to leave them hanging. I gave him a 2 week notice but he asked if I could go for 4 weeks and I said I would cause they have been good to me and Id hate to burn bridges. June 4th is my last day. I cannot wait.
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 5-6-2007 at 04:36 PM

im really trying to get all my facts together and see if i can stay part time and go to school. this court reporting thing is pretty involved, involves internships, class, home practice, so i think part time work would be nice. if i can stay where i am and keep my medical/dental that would be awsome.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyfists28
im really trying to get all my facts together and see if i can stay part time and go to school. this court reporting thing is pretty involved, involves internships, class, home practice, so i think part time work would be nice. if i can stay where i am and keep my medical/dental that would be awsome.

I don't know if the US is different from Canada when it comes to this position, but here you need no college education. It's all on the job training. I spent about 8 weeks working with court clerks/reporters last summer.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
forsaken

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
Not to mention your hours will probably double being a mechanical engineer and you'll be salary. So it'll end up that instead of getting up early, making $35hr and going home early (unless your doing 12's or some wierd shift work) you'll be going in to work at 9, staying till 7 and your salary will end up breaking down to like $15hr., maybe $10 after medical expenses for the ulcers.

Not trying to be a shit, just saying you might not be that bad off where you are unless you REALLY hate it and love M.E.

Yeah, I definetly have thought of all of the above. Also add to that having to work in shit countries (I'm from Australia, only about 25% of graduate ME's stay here) to get by. I dunno, I'm just gonna see where fate takes me. If it all fucks up ill just move back with my parents and start from scratch. No big deal. Unless I knock up a tramp and end up having kids.

Go To Top