Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: is XM thinking they'll get rich
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 09:28 PM
is XM thinking they'll get rich

off of up-tight, socially inept, religious conservatives?

in case you haven't heard:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8P55HQ01&show_artic...

opie & anthony were suspended for remarks made on their satellite radio show. despite facing no fines, FCC backlash or any visible complaints, uproar etc., the company suspended them for 30 days.

i'm not even a fan of o&a, but this makes me want to avoid giving this company money.

here's a clip with comedian Patrice O'Neal (Tough Crowd) on Fox News:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjIuPSuYSOY

it amazes me how these people go on these shows and make broad statements like, "the people are..." or "as a nation we are" with ZERO to back it up. notice when Patrice asks her "who?", she's a deer in the headlights, until she remembers the script. Patrice also tries to remind her about opinions and objectivity inserting "to you" at the end of her anti-tolerance tirade.

on the brightside, the "donkey punch" and the "angry pirate" were explained on a national news show. :P

remember the super-bowl nipple slip? when it was all said and done, the outcry was not a reflection of the majority or even a hefty percentage. it was a couple of uptight jesus freaks that got the ball rolling.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 10:10 PM

O&A annoy me, but this chick is a douche. Much as a joke about what a creepy homeless dude raping Condi would be like is in bad taste, it may not have been funny but shit, it's not as if dudes were advocating it. Secondly, it's not like the people that heard that shit didn't pay for it and intentionally tune into a show of a couple guys that previously were fired from terrestrial because of their stupid antics. People know what they are getting into when the buy XM specifically for O&A.

This is coming from a guy who is technically "socially conservative" or whatever. Morally conservative what have you.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 11:00 PM

She's a dumb cunt.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoralThis is coming from a guy who is technically "socially conservative" or whatever. Morally conservative what have you.

would you explain your take on that?

seriously, just curious because i honestly couldn't properly define it, if asked.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 04:49 AM

Maybe he meant the host of the show.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 11:58 AM

I cancelled my XM yesterday.
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 12:03 PM

I have xm for O & A only. Xm can suck a fat monkeys asshole.
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 12:10 PM

I can't believe they suspended those guys for 30 fuckin days.

DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 12:38 PM

The rumor is they are fired.
All the fans are cancelling there subscriptions.
tschneck

Mood: Opie & Anthony

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DAK
I cancelled my XM yesterday.

I also cancelled as soon as I saw they were suspended. I don't think i've ever been on Wackbag as much as I have the past couple days. I've also never bothered sending in email to sponsers on XM, XM themselves, congressmen about the merger and anyone else I can email and pester about this situation. As far as some of the posts on Wackbag it seems like some of us pests are getting to XM. XM is a bunch of hypocrites and I sure as hell hoped E-Lo fought this and if not, I would like to kick him in the balls myself.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Murk
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoralThis is coming from a guy who is technically "socially conservative" or whatever. Morally conservative what have you.

would you explain your take on that?

seriously, just curious because i honestly couldn't properly define it, if asked.

No, I meant me. I'm not down with abortion or homosexuality. Technically I guess that makes me "conservative" or whatever. Not that I go around identifying with that or them. I tend to not be into our hyper-sexualized culture either, but I really can't see the sense in allowing a small fraction of society dictate what everyone hears or sees.

Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
but I really can't see the sense in allowing a small fraction of society dictate what everyone hears or sees.

looks like you're not the only one...

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRWebSite/NewsStoryPage.aspx?...

By Keith Berman, Kevin Carter and Mike Boyle

Pro-Opie & Anthony support is coming from a very unusual place: their advertisers. Under what passes for normal circumstances, you'd see sponsors pull out of a show to distance themselves from something negative the hosts said or did. In this case, it's the opposite, as a couple of clients are actually dropping their advertising because XM suspended O&A.

In a letter posted on his company's Web site, Nashville Coffee GM, Lou Galli went off on XM: "It is apparent that XM Radio is beholden to crybaby special interest groups who cannot separate humor from reality," he wrote, saying he's not only pulled his own ads, but also contacted other O&A sponsors and encouraged them to do the same.

Galli added, "It is also unfortunate that XM Radio executives don't have the guts to stand up for their on-air talent."

Adult company Adameve.com has plans to yank its spots as well, with this note posted on the People Against Censorship (P.A.C.) Web site (peopleagainstcensorship.org) from the company?s Libby Lynn:

?Just wanted to let you know that PAC is making a difference. Today, I received several phone calls from P.A.C. members, asking us to stop advertising on XM202 in light of the recent suspension of Opie & Anthony. After meeting with our marketing team, Adameve.com has decided to cancel our advertisements on XM202 until and unless Opie & Anthony are allowed back on the air. Our ads should stop airing some time next week, and we will be sending out an official press release on Monday, 5/21/07. As an adult company with a long history of fighting for our First Amendment rights, freedom of speech issues are extremely important to Adameve.com and our parent company, PHE. We are a proud member of the Free Speech Coalition, and our founder, Phil Harvey, is a vocal and politically active opponent of First Amendment violations.?

XM is also apparently feeling the heat from some subscribers. In a poll conducted on the P.A.C.?s Web site, as of Friday morning (May 18) over 3,200 people claimed they've cancelled their XM subscriptions over the O&A mess, with another group of more than 1,600 subscribers saying they've put their subscriptions on hold until the show comes back.

In another letter posted on the P.A.C. Web site, Nashville Coffee?s Galli wrote:

?Just want to let you know that we pulled our advertising from XM. It's a shame. We just increased our sponsorship last week because it was going so well. FYI -- I also cancelled my 12 XM Radio accounts. Guess we will go back to listening to CDs.?

P.A.C. is the group behind a three-day XM suspension protest that has been going on outside O&A?s CBS Radio studios in New York from 6 a.m.-9 a.m. since May 16 and is set to conclude Friday (May 18).

This all began with the May 10 airing of a bit on O&A's XM show that centered on a character named ?Homeless Charlie,? who declared his desire to sexually assault secretary of state Condoleezza Rice, first lady Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth. The duo has since apologized for the incident and XM issued a statement denouncing it.

XM might not have taken action at all if it hadn't been for Opie and Anthony?s May 14 comments on their XM show about the bit and the reaction it caused, which included this exchange: Opie: "You do work for a company, they do pay you, so you have to obey their dumb regulations." Anthony responded: "If people don't like it, you get poor ratings and you lose the show."

XM Satellite Radio announced a 30-day suspension for O&A on May 15 following those comments and said that by the duo uttering them they ?put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them.?

XM was not immediately available to comment on the advertiser cancellations and the validity of the poll numbers from the P.A.C.'s Web poll.
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 05:30 PM

allow me to preface this with i am seriously curious as to your views on the topics below.

Quote:
I'm not down with homosexuality.

would it be fair to say you see it as a problem?
if so, what's the solution?
Homo-free zones/cities?
Making it illegal?
Putting the ones that can be identified into James Dobson style camps?

Quote:
but I really can't see the sense in allowing a small fraction of society dictate what everyone hears or sees.

me neither, but i'm not sure that allowing a large fraction dictate makes sense either.

for example, i would guess that less than 5% of the US likes hardcore (real hardcore, that is), so if put to a vote, hardcore could easily be banned.

again, just looking for views.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 06:05 PM

As far as homosexuality, being a religious man I think it a sin and biologically unnatural. I pose no "solutions" and generally turn a blind eye. I don't run around flaunting my sexuality so I'm not too keen on anyone else flaunting their's. I'm also no big on legislation regulating damn near anything.

I think as a species we've got a serious spiritual problem and nothing considered sinful by any religion is going to change unless there's some healing in that department. Mark that down as the root cause of any and all problems you see with human society.

Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 07:52 PM

I'm going to derail this thead and I don't usually want to start shit but here I'm going to run my mouth.

I have no problems with homosexuality and because I actually have a gay brother, I've seen the ignorant shit people do just because a person is gay. And I love how people say people CHOOSE to be gay. Sorry people it's something you are born into. Who would want to a choose a life that will be plagued by stereotypes, harassment, stares, beatings, etc,. I guess the church/mosque/temple would rather have it's gay members try to ignore their natural impulses and pull a McGrevy.

That's why I hate religion in all facets. There's been more blood shed in the name of God, Allah, etc,. than from anything else. And Dave, to say the world is doomed because people don't connect with religion or God is one of the stupidest things I've heard. Religion has been around essentially since the dawn of man and look whats in done; it's caused nothing but closemindedness, ignorance and death.

Consertives can suck my dick and two hairy balls because all they do is bitch and moan about the stupidest things to further their own agenda. And the whole incident with O&A is one of many. They can attack everyone for their beliefs but GOD FORBID you come at their herb ass lifestyle.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 08:15 PM

I didn't say that homosexuals necessarily choose to be gay, in fact, I think in most cases it's a disorder inherited from a profound disconnect with nature. To suggest that homosexuality is a natural impulse is to deny the fundamental biological function of sex. Sure sex is pleasurable, but is that not another enticement to engage in the act of procreation? It's the same with food, food tastes good so you want to eat it... but what is the purpose of eating? Over-eating and obesity is a twisting of a natural impulse. Some people feel biologically compelled to over-eat, does that mean over-eating is natural? Or is that indicative of a profound deviation from our natural state?

I'm certainly not suggesting that homosexuals be subjected to hostility and harassment, but I'm not going to say that something is biologically natural and spiritually okay.

FYI, speaking of a spiritual problem in humanity isn't necessarily saying that it is a religious problem. In fact, I'd say most of the problems you think of as coming from religion is also a direct result of the spiritual crisis in mankind. Religion has been around since we can think of it, and while wars have been conducted under the banner of religion they've largely been about land and wealth. The only wars I recognize as being authentically religious are those fought against tyranny. So to say that what I'm saying is one of the "stupidest" things you've ever heard belies a massive lack of knowledge on your part in the world of religion and how unifying it HAS been for oppressed people the world over let alone on what I'm actually saying. So thank you for expressing your willful ignorance.

Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that homosexuals necessarily choose to be gay, in fact, I think in most cases it's a disorder inherited from a profound disconnect with nature.

Profound disconnect with nature? What the hell does that even mean?

To suggest that homosexuality is a natural impulse is to deny the fundamental biological function of sex. Sure sex is pleasurable, but is that not another enticement to engage in the act of procreation? It's the same with food, food tastes good so you want to eat it... but what is the purpose of eating? Over-eating and obesity is a twisting of a natural impulse. Some people feel biologically compelled to over-eat, does that mean over-eating is natural? Or is that indicative of a profound deviation from our natural state?

Talk about mixing apples and oranges.

I'm certainly not suggesting that homosexuals be subjected to hostility and harassment, but I'm not going to say that something is biologically natural and spiritually okay.

It's okay to ridicule them though, feel like less of a human.

FYI, speaking of a spiritual problem in humanity isn't necessarily saying that it is a religious problem. In fact, I'd say most of the problems you think of as coming from religion is also a direct result of the spiritual crisis in mankind. Religion has been around since we can think of it, and while wars have been conducted under the banner of religion they've largely been about land and wealth. The only wars I recognize as being authentically religious are those fought against tyranny. So to say that what I'm saying is one of the "stupidest" things you've ever heard belies a massive lack of knowledge on your part in the world of religion and how unifying it HAS been for oppressed people the world over let alone on what I'm actually saying. So thank you for expressing your willful ignorance.

Last time I checked all religion did was divide people, not unify them. And yes, most wars were over gold and glory but God was never far away. It was fine killing people as long as they waived a different banner. It was fine to rob and kill nonbelievers and if they could convert their new conquest all the more reason to war. I find it down right funny that it's okay to steal such 'earthly" things in the name of God.

defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 10:17 PM

easy fellows

we don't want to have to seperate you two....
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 10:29 PM

Yeah you're right. Before this goes into a full fledge religious/homesexuality discussion. God knows the internet doesn't need anymore of that.

defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 10:48 PM

that's is the point of it in a nutshell

religion and sexual prefrence have no place in the public eye
your private life is just that and noone wants to hear it...
keep both in the bedroom and we'll have no problems

Go To Top