Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: I miss hardcore!
Big Ugly

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 05:36 PM
I miss hardcore!

Am I the only one who misses good old fashioned straight out hardcore. All I see these days in zines and shit are shitty "metalcore and screamo" bands who play like shit and look like they want to try out for the fuckin cure. When the fuck did hardcore bands start wearing makeup. Then there's all these pussy fuckin emo bands pissing and moaning like they're in a country band, ie: my girlfriend dumped me, my dog died, nobody loves me, boo hoo hoo. Whiney fuckin pussies. I don't remember Agnostic Front, Slapshop, Bad Religion, etc. doing pussy shit like this!

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 06:31 PM

I definitely hear you, all my favorites are the Old School bands, very few new bands are worth a shit to me. I hate metal and emo, screamo, whatever it's called this week is fucking laughable. I don't understand the need for all these bands who play a different type of music to call themselves HC. If you play metal, call yourself metal, just because you have short hair doesn't mean you're a HC band. I don't understand the influx of all these guys trying to look like girls and wanting to whine about how hard it is to stay skinny enough to fit into girls clothes, but if they wanna do that maybe they should find a name for that kind of music that isn't already being used.
One problem I have with your comment is the inclusion of Bad Religion, how do they fit in with bands like Slapshot and Agnostic Front? Being the educated and humorless version of NOFX doesn't qualify as hardcore to me, and NO, I don't like NOFX any better. Just my opinion, but I fucking hate BR and all their sound alike bands.
LilOz
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 06:52 PM

You've just setup the moron trap hahaha

I can't really contribute to this thread indepth as you guys because I grew up listening to metal and didn't really get into hardcore until the late 90's, but from what I am always told it is a sad state of affairs today, though it can be obviously be seen. I think there are certain bands like mental, slumlords and so on churning out great records. You could go on complaining about guys in girls pants, emo/screamo/post hardcore bands, but it's too late and they are here. Doesn't mean they can ruin hardcore for everyone else, they will be gone in a few years probably.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 07:46 PM

Was that Moron who was arguing with me about BR on the old boards? I couldn't remember who it was. And you're exactly right Oz, there are a FEW bands, Mental and (definitely) Slumlords among them, who are doing great things, but I think they both have an old style or sensibilty to them as do most of the others who are putting out good stuff nowadays. By the way, has everybody got that R'N'R record? Infamous and Notorious, I think that's the name of it. That's one of the best new things I've heard in a long time.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 07:49 PM

Oh and as far as ruining HC, I'm a grumpy old man, so I'm entitled to a certain amount of pissy bitching about the old days. HC is a part of me, so it will never be completely ruined for me, but it is a sad shadow of itself in my eyes as far as the scene goes.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 07:52 PM

Oh, even though I will always list Slapshot as one of my favorite HC bands, I thought this thread needed to show these lyrics since we're bitching about bands singing about their girlfriends and shit like that.....

Tried to get it right
Tried to get right
But I made the same mistake
I made the same mistake

Tried to get it right
Tried to get it right
I made the same mistake

Everything I say
And everything I do
Comes out wrong in the end
Wrong in the end

Everything I say
And everything I do
Wrong in the end

I don't know what to do
Cause I can't get over you

Tried to get it right
Tried to get it right
I made the same mistake

Tried to get it right
Tried to get it right
I made the same mistake

Everything I say
And everything I do
Wrong in the end

Everything I say
And everything I do
Wrong in the end

I don't know what to do

I don't know what to do

Yeah, even tough guys need some love, huh?
Big Ugly

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 09:59 PM

[quote][i]Originally posted by tireironsaint[/i]
I definitely hear you, all my favorites are the Old School bands, very few new bands are worth a shit to me. I hate metal and emo, screamo, whatever it's called this week is fucking laughable. I don't understand the need for all these bands who play a different type of music to call themselves HC. If you play metal, call yourself metal, just because you have short hair doesn't mean you're a HC band. I don't understand the influx of all these guys trying to look like girls and wanting to whine about how hard it is to stay skinny enough to fit into girls clothes, but if they wanna do that maybe they should find a name for that kind of music that isn't already being used.
One problem I have with your comment is the inclusion of Bad Religion, how do they fit in with bands like Slapshot and Agnostic Front? Being the educated and humorless version of NOFX doesn't qualify as hardcore to me, and NO, I don't like NOFX any better. Just my opinion, but I fucking hate BR and all their sound alike bands. [/quote]

I know Bad Religion is punk, not hardcore, but I included them because I like the fact that they, like the Dead Kennedy's, have intelligent and insightful lyrics. I am a die hard fan of old school hardcore, especially NYHC, but not every band should be singing about life on the streets, or being a tough guy, or staying alive, etc. Don't get me wrong as I like all that stuff too but I do like intelligent lyrics that try to state a point or opinion. I can't say all love songs are bad though, as Sheer Terror had more then a few songs about a broken heart and i don't think anybody could (or ould) call Peal Bearer and co. emo faggots. I've rambled enough, so I'll finish with a plea to bring back the old school of HC!

moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 10:06 PM

I love Bad Religion

and I find that arguing about what is or isnt hardcore is just a waste of time. It's all music. If you dig it that's all that matters.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 10:32 PM

And because it just has to be said....
Hard Core's dead, you're next.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 10:45 PM

OK, I really wasn't trying to make it a conversation about whether BR was HC or not, I was pointing out that the other two bands are good and BR are, well....not. Oh, and I love Punk, so don't think it's a HC versus Punk thing to me either. And please, nobody needs to take offense at this, it's my opinion not anything personal towards either of you. I mean hell, I'm not offended that you guys have bad taste, why should it bother you? ;)
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-10-2004 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
I'm not offended that you guys have bad taste, why should it bother you? ;)

this made me think of this site

Im not sure who's seen it before, but it's funny

Big Ugly

[*] posted on 9-10-2004 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
OK, I really wasn't trying to make it a conversation about whether BR was HC or not, I was pointing out that the other two bands are good and BR are, well....not. Oh, and I love Punk, so don't think it's a HC versus Punk thing to me either. And please, nobody needs to take offense at this, it's my opinion not anything personal towards either of you. I mean hell, I'm not offended that you guys have bad taste, why should it bother you? ;)

Good point. But in the end it doesn't matter cause Sheer Terrors coming back one more time to show all the pussy bands what it's all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAN SMASH
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-14-2004 at 05:49 AM

no point arguing about this shit you lot,
after all it's down to personal taste isn't it?

I agree with ugly's comment about bands jumping onto the HC bandwagon when they are so fucking far away from it.
same goes for boycott's earlier posts on HC being infiltrated by the god squad.

whether it's BR or the DK's, old school punk has gotta be respected for the fact that if it weren't for the guys back in those days, we wouldnt have half the bands around today (who were motivated by the likes of Graffin and Biafra to get off their fucking arses and make a noise)

i love hardcore, i love punk.
i love trance and hard house.

in the words of animal, anti-nowhere-league,1980's:
"SO FUCKING WHAT!"

GabeTexasGAMC
* GROWN *

Mood: Teenage Fanclub

[*] posted on 9-15-2004 at 05:52 AM

bunch of fucking whiners...
Fuck those bastards... we keep it hard. Thats all that matters.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 10-14-2004 at 03:04 PM

I MISS IT.

I thought when KILL YOUR IDOLS came out I was blown away. I thought it may be the rebirth, but then I read there lyrics. Hahahah

No seriously I miss the sounds of straight up hardcore too
Old 7 seconds,Minopr threat,Negative approach (before my time).
AGNOSTIC FRONT late 80's liberty cause for alarm era. Cromags Killingtime etc. WHere are the bands that want to still play straight up hardcore? SICK OF IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MURPHYS LAW is one fucking band that is fucking still true. They never changed. Maybe with best of times but that shit was still MURPHYS LAW. GO SEE MURPHYS LAW WHEN THEY PLAY WHERE EVER YOU MAY LIVE. SUPPORT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where you knew you were PUNK or HARDCORE or METAL whatever! Not punkcore or metalcore or whatever.
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 09:01 AM

not to add fuel to the fire, but, BR's how can hell be any worse? or back to the known? are not HC records?

:o

Jeff trhe Greek

Mood: The Tossers

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 10:54 AM

Bad Religion are fuckin' poser student wankers gettin' rich off our scene. Fuck them. I remember when we used to just pound these people and they'd go away and never come back. they're in our scene because we let them in or forgot to lock the door. Constant vigilance.

Don\'t blame me, I voted for Kodos.
LORDTUNDERINJESUS

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 11:12 AM

Boy,I wonder sometimes how many pints of blood Iv lost
or how many scarz I gut Fighting so that little Johnny
today, can run around wit his funny hair cut !!!!!!!!
Big Ugly

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff trhe Greek
Bad Religion are fuckin' poser student wankers gettin' rich off our scene. Fuck them. I remember when we used to just pound these people and they'd go away and never come back. they're in our scene because we let them in or forgot to lock the door. Constant vigilance.

I'm not the biggest BR fan but I do like some of their albums. I don't see the problem with their singer being a student. There is nothing wrong with trying to learn and be informed. It's better then fitting into the stereotype that anybody involved in our scene is drunken, moronic thug with no brains or commen sense. Does this mean you also don't like the Descendants because their singer is a scientist. Do you not like bands like the Dead Kennedy's because they had intelligent and thought provoking thugs. It's not smart people that we need to keep out of the scene, quite the opposite. It's the brainless thugs and mall punks that we need to keep out.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 01:14 PM

I just miss the days of DESCENDENTS, BAD RELIGION, GBH, WARZONE, SICK OF IT ALL, SUICIDAL TENDENCIES, AGNOSTIC FRONT, MURPHYS LAW, TOKEN ENTRY even YOUTH OF TODAY, BOLD and JUDGE. Man those were what everything HARDCORE was all about. I remember my teacher giving me a hard time becasue of my Dead Kennedy's shirt. I remember getting jumped by jocks because I was a "skater fag". Now the varsity team quaterback skates.

I MISS IT BEING REAL, UNKNOWN, AND TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Big Ugly

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
I just miss the days of DESCENDENTS, BAD RELIGION, GBH, WARZONE, SICK OF IT ALL, SUICIDAL TENDENCIES, AGNOSTIC FRONT, MURPHYS LAW, TOKEN ENTRY even YOUTH OF TODAY, BOLD and JUDGE. Man those were what everything HARDCORE was all about. I remember my teacher giving me a hard time becasue of my Dead Kennedy's shirt. I remember getting jumped by jocks because I was a "skater fag". Now the varsity team quaterback skates.

I MISS IT BEING REAL, UNKNOWN, AND TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thou speaketh the truth.

FxNxHxC

Mood: All Out War

[*] posted on 10-16-2004 at 02:02 PM

I cant stand these bands getting called ANYTHING-core. metalcore, deathcore, if hit has a breakdown, it must be something core. but it's NOT!!!! if alot of this shit wasnt being lumped into the hardcore genre, then we may see it in a different light. but we see it as pussies wanting to be like us.
Jeff trhe Greek

Mood: The Tossers

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff trhe Greek

I'm not the biggest BR fan but I do like some of their albums. I don't see the problem with their singer being a student. There is nothing wrong with trying to learn and be informed. It's better then fitting into the stereotype that anybody involved in our scene is drunken, moronic thug with no brains or commen sense. Does this mean you also don't like the Descendants because their singer is a scientist. Do you not like bands like the Dead Kennedy's because they had intelligent and thought provoking thugs. It's not smart people that we need to keep out of the scene, quite the opposite. It's the brainless thugs and mall punks that we need to keep out.

Regurgitating a world view that died in the 60's does not an intellectual make. And I have nothing against intellect, quite the contrary, I just don't like pretentious pseudo-intellectual, I read a book on the subject, bullshit.

Don\'t blame me, I voted for Kodos.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 05:49 PM

This is from that guy Ian Robinson from mtv and a dj somewhere...

?I recently read an article in A.P. magazine with the band Atreyu where one of their members said some really ignorant and stupid things. The kid's name was Alex Varkatzas and he said, and I quote "I fucking hate Metallica-flat out, fuck Metallica, fuck Black Sabbath. I don't give a fuck about the fucking "roots". Those aren't my roots, so I don't fucking care. Green Day was more important to me you know?". Now before any of you internet-loving-wanna-bes start clamoring for my head, I'm not attacking this guy Alex's right to not like Black Sabbath or (early) Metallica and if he wants to really put it out there that Green Day are more important than those two bands, that's also his right. My beef is with "Fuck Metallica and Fuck Black Sabbath" and the "Those aren't my roots" claims. Now I don't know Alex, and based on his band I don't wanna know him, but he needs to understand that without those two bands, there would be no Atreyu, no Bleeding Through, none of these types of bands. I met the Bleeding Through guys and they seem to have a much clearer understanding of what the term "influences" really means and how their hybrid sound was influenced by bands like AF, Cromags, Cryptic Slaughter, Void, Negative Approach and that all those bands listened to Black Sabbath, old Metallica and early Slayer, bringing the feel of metal into punk rock and creating hardcore, which is basically a more violent form of late seventies punk rock. To say what he said shows quite clearly why Atreyu and most other bands in the so-called "hardcore" world suck today-they don't even understand the genre they're playing in. For those who don't know, Atreyu are one of the many bands that claim hardcore when really they just sound like average metal with some kid whining over it. Bands like Atreyu, Bleeding Through, AFI, Avenged Sevenfold and the like always seemed to me like they were playing from the heart which I always appreciated, I never thought they were any good but hey, at least they meant it. The problem is that these kids, with their hip fashions, piercing and mall-esque scene are claiming to be from the same universe as the hardcore scene that shook up the world in the early to late eighties, and that simply isn't true. Hardcore and punk have gone from something that spit in the face of the status quo, to becoming the status quo. Hardcore is a scene now, a teenage right of passage that takes it's place amongst the trends of bobby socks, poodle skirts, hippy beads and tie dye, it means nothing anymore in any relevant way and these kids are disrespecting it by writing bad metal and calling it hardcore. It's not just me, cause I'll be honest, I got into hardcore at the tail end of the 80s, where it wasn't as underground but still honest and passionate, so I'm not Mr. Old School either. That being said, I do have friends who've been there since the heyday and most of them hate what's become of hardcore and how all their hard work has led to these snot nosed suburban brats turning what was once a thing of beauty into lunchroom theme music. Bands like Sick Of It all, AF, Madball and others who are keeping the hardcore ideal alive aren't in the press or on MTV or Fuse, not like these hybrid fashionista bands are. So how could true hardcore bands not be involved in the "growing hardcore scene" we always read about. Well it's simple, that's not hardcore, it's something else, something that needs it's own identity, an identity far from the term "hardcore". The problem is that nobody has been forced to re-think this genre because it's really easy to just call it hardcore and be done with it.. So in order to solve these problems, I have come up with a solution, it's a radical one but it just might work. Let's have a National Moratorium for the term "Hardcore", let's bury it in a nice green field and let it die with dignity. We'll have a huge funeral, invite all the legends of the genre to speak about it's influence in their lives and then slowly lower the term and the genre into the ground where it will be at peace for all eternity. Once it's buried then these young kids can sit around and pow wow over what to call it now. "Fashioncore", "Screamo", "Shit In A Blender", whatever they want. This will also help the future generations of music lovers to see what real hardcore is as opposed to what it's become. When it comes to hardcore I want my grandkids to hear Cromags and AF, not Atreyu and Thursday, I want them to know about Black Flag and Minor Threat not Avenge Sevenfold and AFI. Don't get wrong, there's nothing wrong with those bands per say, I'm sure they are relevant and life saving to a large group of you out
there, but they are not hardcore, it's just that simple. So if we bury the term and idea of hardcore then the kids can have their own thing to build on and it won't keep polluting the memory of one of the greatest musical movements of all time.
PS Atreyu were named for The Neverending Story, does that irritate anybody else besides me??
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 05:59 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^Sorry about the above article. It's way too long. I got it from another site and thought it had to do with this discussion.
Later alligators.

Also on this topic. I just saw the movie GLEAMING THE CUBE for the first itme ever. I remember when this movie came out and if you took skating and music serious you would have hated this movie. Sure it is no SEARCH FOR ANIMAL CHIN but it was very funny. Christain Slater and crew were wearing some old school shirts and posters from DRI CRAMPS SUICIDAL TENDENCIES etc. I have to say I recommend this to anyone who has never seen it. I never knew that so many real skaters were in it. Funny story hokey words. Good movie
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top