Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: records that changed your life
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 12:41 AM

tireiron,

Funny you say that, because between the time of some old BFB and the time Ramallah came out, there was a long period of time that I didn't listen to anything but Oi and a bit of old skinhead reggae. And I can say the same thing about how Ramallah made me feel. Maybe I'm just young at a quarter-century or some of you other guys really old. :) That's ok, I've always felt like an old fucking man given my colleagues at any time in my life (including the present).

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 12:43 AM

I forgot to mention Pride Kills- Deep in the Heart. First real hardcore band I ever heard.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
tireiron,

Funny you say that, because between the time of some old BFB and the time Ramallah came out, there was a long period of time that I didn't listen to anything but Oi and a bit of old skinhead reggae. And I can say the same thing about how Ramallah made me feel. Maybe I'm just young at a quarter-century or some of you other guys really old. :) That's ok, I've always felt like an old fucking man given my colleagues at any time in my life (including the present).
Interesting, I see Ramallah as moving VERY far away from what I can call Hard Core. It's odd that we share such a similar thought and fell back on the same genres and yet we see two very different bands with the same nucleus in opposite lights.

And yeah, I'm old. In just over a month I will be 35, ten years your senior and yet here we are talking about a musical genre that some people would say reached it's highest point many years ago when I was first getting into it and you were a toddler.

Veritas odium parit
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgan
I forgot to mention Pride Kills- Deep in the Heart. First real hardcore band I ever heard.
Wait, how old are you??? I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, but either you discovered HC REALLY late in life or you are VERY young.

Veritas odium parit
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 12:58 AM

I know what you mean. I think the only reason I can even consider Ramallah to be hardcore is because there was a period where I went to every show just to have something to do, and I saw way too many shitty (fill in the blank)-core bands. Especially too much metalcore. All of that basically made me give up on anything related to "hardcore" since it strayed so far away from what it once was and, at the same time, lost all of its meaning. Change is fine, but damn those bands sucked, and I had no idea what the fuck that had to do with hardcore, punk, oi, or any other genre I've ever given a fuck about. One of the few bright spots in that time was catching KYI at some crappy fest in Gainesville, FL, that someone convinced me to go to.

All of that being said, I still find it hard to tell myself a band plays hardcore when they go on tour with a keyboard player!

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
thedog
Posting Freak

Mood: Deals Gone Bad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 01:07 AM

Sick Of It All - Blood, Sweat & No Tears

\"thank you very little\"
necrobutcher

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 09:27 PM

Biohazard - Urban Discipline. I saw the video for Punishment on Beavis and Butthead and got the tape. This really got me into a lot of heavier shit and away from rap.

SOIA - Scratch the Surface. One of the first times i really recall hearing a heavy band singing with some type of a positive message in some of the songs.

Misfits - everything. Rekindled me love of horror and got me to pay attention to a lot more punk.

Blood for Blood - Outlaw Anthems. For years I always thought of AF, SOIA and Murphy's Law as more punk bands. I always associated hardcore with the straight-edge, posi, vegan, save the world shit since my only exposure was to bands like that. Once I heard this I realized I had been missing out on an awful lot of good shit. The first time I heard Some Kind of Hate the hair on my neck stood up.
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Quote:
Originally posted by morgan
Wait, how old are you??? I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, but either you discovered HC REALLY late in life or you are VERY young.

To answer your question I'm pretty young. I turned 18 a couple days ago. I found about Pride Kills through a friend of mine who was good friends with Paul Nasty. He got PK to play at a reunion show for his band, Worm Suicide. Think I was around 15 at the time.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

Mood: gang green

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 08:05 AM

an important record i forgot and that was really impressive on me was the "5,98$ ep" of metallica. there i heard a misfits song for the first time in my life, and it sounded so good...
thanks metallica for making me punk. sorry for that what happened to you after the black album:P

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by panzerkreuzer
an important record i forgot and that was really impressive on me was the "5,98$ ep" of metallica. there i heard a misfits song for the first time in my life, and it sounded so good...
thanks metallica for making me punk. sorry for that what happened to you after the black album:P

haha yeah thats what made me check out the misfits too!
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
Quote:
Originally posted by panzerkreuzer

haha yeah thats what made me check out the misfits too!

Ditto

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 07:27 PM

gonna add

Venom Welcome to hell
Napalm death harmony corruption
agnostic front victim in pain
black sabbath 1st 3 records
Gooch

Mood: Government Warning

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 04:04 PM

This is pretty much the order of bands/records that got me into hardcore. I don't think anything I listened to prior to that really had any impact on me, though I was listening to bands like GNR, Crue, Def Lep and Bon Jovi, not much there that could change you life, haha.

SOD- Speak English or Die- A friend taped this for me after we were talking about music and what not. I guess he though I would be into it. I really didn't listen to anything that hard at the time expect for Metallica and Megadeth, and even then I wasn't totally into them. SOD was different than anything I had heard before.

The Exploited- Lets Start a War/Troops of Tomorrow- same dude that taped me SOD hooked me up with that those too. Again, totally different than anything I had listened to before. I still have a soft spot in my heart for these guys just because this was the beginning of me getting into hardcore.

McRad- Absense of Sanity- opened up the skaterock sound to me.

Misfits- Walk Among Us. One listen and I was hooked.

Minor Threat- Out of Step/7"s- another friend made me this tape. I guess the 1st traditional hardcore band I was exposed to. I was blown away.

YOT- We're Not in This Alone/Can't Close My Eyes- These were on the other side of the Minor Threat tape. Again, blown away. Their energy was intense. Life was never the same.

My mind is Clear, Free from hurt. My mind is Clear, Value its worth!
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:09 PM

this was a great subject so i'm bumpin to the top again
sweet alcohol
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 02:13 AM

I am drunk as well. Listening to BJORK - medulla on itunes.

Bomb fire tonight and a couple drunnk family memebers. Good times. I drank about 6 MOLSON CANADIAN light. I am a ligthweight anymore.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
sippers

Mood: face value-the price of maturity

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 09:20 PM

1.kiss- deststroyer
2.ozzy-blizzard of ozz
3.motley crue -too fast for love/shout at the devil
4.suicidal temdencies -s/t
5.agnostic front- vip
6.coc- animosity
7.cro-mags age of quarell
8.minor threat-7"s

all these records reflected differnt times in my youth that changed me moe ways than one.

crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 05:01 PM

life of agony : river runs red
blood for blood : spit my last breath
i can play either of these and remember when and where i first heard them. great stuff
RoughBrother

Mood: Powerhouse - Bullet Proof

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 01:10 PM

I had to really think this one and I came up with this:

Cock Sparrer - Shock Troops...it basically was the first Oi!-record I heard and the whole experience was just like "wow". The melodies and the lyrics really hit me hard and kinda sent me to the path I now live. It helped me to understand the value of true friends and honest work, it also helped me to gain new friends and I remember countless bar nights when me and my cousin sang these Cock Sparrer-classics while walking to the bar or home. We even had this own version of England belongs to me. We called it "Hyvink?? belongs to me" and it was dedicated to our little home town...good times, brings alot of memories:)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top