Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The iPhone
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 08:45 PM
The iPhone

...is going to be released on Friday at 6pm. It is already considered one of the most anticipated produt releases of all time. Some of the more well known tech writers posted their reviews of the phone this evening. While not perfect, the general concensus is that it is an amazing product.

The part that cracks me up is thinking about all these phone execs at nokia and samsung and treo and blackberry and shit just shaking in their boots. These no way those people are sleeping between now and Friday with reviews like this....

The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg and Katherine Boehret have posted their review of the Apple iPhone.

Mossberg and Bohret tested the iPhone for two weeks in multiple usage scenarios and in various cities:

Our verdict is that, despite some flaws and feature omissions, the iPhone is, on balance, a beautiful and breakthrough handheld computer. Its software, especially, sets a new bar for the smart-phone industry, and its clever finger-touch interface, which dispenses with a stylus and most buttons, works well, though it sometimes adds steps to common functions.

Some highlights:

- largest, highest resolution screen of any smart phone they've seen, most internal memory
- Impressive battery life and thin
- Feels solid
- Regarding the touch keyboard: "After five days of use, Walt -- who did most of the testing for this review -- was able to type on it as quickly and accurately as he could on the Palm Treo he has used for years."
- Can't use T-Mobile SIM cards
- Wi-Fi capability doesn't fully make up for the lack of a fast cellular data capability
- Multitouch: "effective, practical and fun"
- No way to copy/paste text
- Microsoft's Exchange system support
- Voice call quality was good, but not great
- Can't record video
- No Adobe Flash support
- Songs can't be set as ringtones

Apple says it plans to add features to the phone over time, via free downloads, and hints that some of these holes may be filled.

NY Times: David Pogue
- "so sleek and thin, it makes Treos and BlackBerrys look obese."
- After walking around with the iPhone unprotected for 2 weeks, no marks on it. Glass smudges are easily wiped off.
- Making calls can be a 6 step process if phone is off.
- Web, Email is superior
- Battery Life Test: 5 hours video, 23 hours audio. Note: did not turn off Wi-Fi and other features as Apple suggests.
- Typing was OK. Difficult at first, but learned to "trust" the keyboard. "The BlackBerry won?t be going away anytime soon."
- Cites AT&T network as iPhone's biggest downfall. Cites Consumer Reports survey which ranks AT&T network as last or second to last in 19 out of 20 major US cities.
- AT&T?s EDGE cellular network: "excruciatingly slow"
- Slideshow of photos taken with iPhone
- Video Review

Newsweek: Steven Levy
- bottom line is that the iPhone is a significant leap
- The iPhone is the rare convergence device where things actually converge.
- e-mail looks more like you?re working on a computer than a clunky phone
- YouTube videos work great on Wi-Fi, but can display in a lower quality when you?re not at a hotspot and are using AT&T?s EDGE network
- unless I did a lot of video watching or Web browsing, [the battery] could generally last the day
- I?ve been jamming it in my pocket with keyrings, coins and pens, and so far it?s nearly as good as new.

USA Today: Edward Baig
- Apple's iPhone isn't perfect, but it's worthy of the hype
- The revelation is that it's also comfortable to hold and touch.
- I expected to miss the tactile feel that a physical keyboard provides. I didn't.
- You can hold a conference call with up to five people.
- No voice recognition or voice dialing
- halfway decent internal speakers for listening if you set the thing down
- iPod games are not compatible with iPhone
- our company tech department raised questions about the security settings Apple required with our Microsoft Exchange servers.
- Battery life didn't prove to be a big problem in my unscientific tests

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 09:23 PM

I'd like to play around with the iPhone but I'm definitely not buying one. They'd have to change about 100 things about it for me to switch from BlackBerry.

XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:50 AM

Im a sucker for new gadgets and would love to get one, but I definitly wont get one right away if at all.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 10:13 AM

the second version will be more stable and cheaper.
maybe next year!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 10:37 AM

this is dope:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/keyboard_medium.html

so the software predicts what you're going to type based on the existing dictionary and the words you commonly use. nothing new. but with screen based keyboard, what it does is enlarge the tap area of the possible next keys to make typing easier.

so you're typing the word "time". after you if you type "t-i-m", the software automatically enlarges the tappable space specific to the letter "e" since there are no common words spelled using the keys to either side, "w" or "r".

Muttley

Mood: OVERKILL

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 11:01 AM

I pass by the 5th Avenue Apple store every morning on my bus downtown to work. The line today (Wednesday) is about 10-15 people long. And this thing drops on Friday at 6pm?

NERDS!!!!

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttley
NERDS!!!!

NO DOUBT!!
here's a video interview with a guy who's been in line since like Monday:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/video/non-interview-first-iphone-...

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 12:12 PM

I want one.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 12:14 PM

people that camp out for anything...concert tickets, PS3, Wii, iPhone...are all gay

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 01:47 PM

One time when I was 16 I camped out for Metallica tickets, it pretty much ruled. I got drunk. Slept by a dumpster and still got shitty tickets.
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 02:42 PM

I am buying this phone asap. Love apple.

MM.
Gooch

Mood: Government Warning

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
the second version will be more stable and cheaper.
maybe next year!

More stable, yes. Cheaper, maybe not. If they sell enough of these, which I'm sure will happpen, and they don't have any major bugs, version 2 will be just around the same price. Why not.
Now, they may keep the same price, but offer more memory, software, features, etc on the next one, so technically its could be considered cheaper. And you know at some point they'll roll out a stripped down version for around $200 that's more geared towards the average consumer.
I read an article the other day that said $499 was a perfect price point for the 4 gig, but Apple could have charged way more than just $100 more for 8 gig. I think it said they probably could have gotten $799 for it. Crazy!

I think its very cool, though I would never spend that much on a phone and I would definitely wait for 2nd generation. For now, I'm happy with my Motorola Q which I only paid $80 for.

My mind is Clear, Free from hurt. My mind is Clear, Value its worth!
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 06:54 PM

yeah, there's only a slight chance the nect one will be any cheaper.
better specs, definitely.

in a company-wide meeting today, Steve Jobs announced that all 17,787 full-time Apple employees would get a free 8gb iPhone. part timers get one if they'v ebeen there for over a year. that's a nice $11,000,000 write off.

defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 07:22 PM

I wonder if they will have to claim it as a bonus on taxes....
but as a business owner you gotta love the write offs
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 12:30 PM

Check this out...

Newsweek's Steven Levy, one of the fantastic four of tech journalism, was nearly deprived of his exclusive review iPhone earlier this morning (around 9:25 AM, EDT) live on Fox News in front of the waiting hordes at NYC's midtown Apple Store. As he prepared to demo the wonder device to the announcer, a foolish would-be mugger jumped Levy and the camera man, taking them to the ground. As the Fox crew cut away, it was clear that police, the Fox crew and bystanders were taking care of the assailant. The in-studio Fox team appeared to fear (or hope for) the worse - full scale fanboy riot; the announcer was shaken. But Steven Levy, ever the pro, bounced up and delivered his prepared demo with sangfroid. For those concerned, neither the journalist nor the iPhone appeared to be harmed in anyway.

from Gizmodo.com

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 01:15 PM

that's fucking great.
too bad the phone and the mic were so close to one another.
of course, considering how she began her report and the fact that we're talking about FOX, i'd bet they set the whole thing up.

Go To Top