Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A real life decision I need to make.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 04:55 PM
A real life decision I need to make.

Its now time. I have been doing the Sheriff Auxillary for for over a a year and a half. All the while continuing College to get a degree in Education grades 4-9 History and English. I still need a estimate 2 years to complete this.

I got accepted into the Police Academy last week. I start at the end of August. This lasts until April '08'. After that I still have to apply for a job with any department hiring. This decision to either stay in College or go to the Academy is hard. If I rated the to occupations of what I would most prefer I would say

1. Teacher
2. Law Enforcement

That said, both jobs pose issues.

Teacher- I have a almsot 2 year old. My wife is the main bread winner and it will take another 2 years to get the degree. I have accumulated a large amount of student loan debt and the credit cards I have been living on to support what my wife can't take care of and what I can't supply with side jobs. The pay will be starting in the low $30,000's. Not too good for a 5 year degree and all that debt, but I would love the hours and the job.

Law Enforcement- I am 30. I am worried about getting a job after spending $3,700 to get into the Academy. Once I would graduate I still have no definite job. I will have to apply to all departments hiring and hope I pass the tests and they like/hire me. I will be competing with younger guys and I am not sure if departments will look down on that. The cut off for most departments are 34. the pay will average $46,000 and have shitty hours with much hazards, but i would feel good doing something helpful and rewarding for any community. I need to lose at least 30- 40 pounds and make a run time of 12:25 in a mile and a half. I am now at 15:20 and my left knee is bothering me. It shouldn't be a problem when I get this weight off.

The Pros for these occupations that I have created are this..

Teacher- I have been going to school and following a program for it through the University. I am over 1/2 way through it. I would love the job.

Law Enforcement- I have been in the Auxiliary for a while and know many people within the Sheriffs Department. I have much of the same training you get in the real academy which means I could possibly do very well in the Police Academy. Also in the perfect world I would be picked up when I graduate witht he Sheriffs Department I already work for. However there is no gurantees and they are possibly laying off because of lack of funds and taxes. So that is a crap shoot.

Anyway, any input is appreciated. Its been on the mind for a while, but since I now know I need to make this decision I thought I'd get some outside views.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 04:56 PM

Man I typed alot. Sorry guys and gals.

:P

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 05:28 PM

you've put so much time and money into college, i'd suggest trying to get something out of it. can you use the credits you have for an associate's degree now, then go to the academy?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 05:31 PM

That's a tough call. With all the time spent in college it almost seems silly to waste it. At the same time, I can see wanting to go to the academy as it will be finished quicker and you'd be able to start earning some cash a lot sooner.

I really don't know what I would do in that position. What does your wife think?

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 05:37 PM

have you looked into teaching without the degree or doing substitute work...
I'd say teaching is a safer career choice but not so much anymore...

but is any job worth getting shot for?
look at the dude who was shot in the head this week by the skinhead fuck... dude was 60 almost to retirement and had a cush job of transporting prisoners....
no out on the streets chasing bad guys stuff, just straight routine

and in addition to that the punk rock parent in me says
the world needs more teachers and fewer cops...
dare to dream,
I mean if you are looking to make an impact in lives, teaching is far more rewarding
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
you've put so much time and money into college, i'd suggest trying to get something out of it.
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 05:44 PM

i've taken classes here and there but am going back to school this fall to learn how to be a stenographer. i put my two weeks in today and will take a part time job to make some bucks. i've been doing the same job for over seven years so i say you make the move that will make YOU happy. don't worry about the money, or the stuff you've done in the past. if you think teaching would make you the happiest, pursue it. otherwise go for the academy. no guarantees in life but to me, if you don't at least attempt something, you'll never know if it was meant for you
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyfists28
i've taken classes here and there but am going back to school this fall to learn how to be a stenographer. i put my two weeks in today and will take a part time job to make some bucks. i've been doing the same job for over seven years so i say you make the move that will make YOU happy. don't worry about the money, or the stuff you've done in the past. if you think teaching would make you the happiest, pursue it. otherwise go for the academy. no guarantees in life but to me, if you don't at least attempt something, you'll never know if it was meant for you

congratulations. that's a power move! will you be able to get the training (and ultimately, a job) in your area, or might you have to move?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 06:07 PM

there are options locally as far as government jobs if i take the civil service test but i also have a cousin who owns his own freelance business dealing with this in miami so i suppose i could talk to him about relocating as well...once you have the speed and accuracy, you can pretty much work anywhere. hopefully it all works out. i've had enough of manual labor!!!!
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 07:23 PM

I agree with what's been said so far. You already put yourself in debt and put the time in, might as well get something for it. And like defstar said, teaching is a much more rewarding job and it is what you really wanted to do. So I would say go for the teaching.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
you've put so much time and money into college, i'd suggest trying to get something out of it. can you use the credits you have for an associate's degree now, then go to the academy?

^^^^^^^ I have 3 final courses that do not apply to my Bachelors degree to take if I want the Associates which isn't too bad, but it still is bullshit.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defstarsteve
have you looked into teaching without the degree or doing substitute work...
I'd say teaching is a safer career choice but not so much anymore...

but is any job worth getting shot for?
look at the dude who was shot in the head this week by the skinhead fuck... dude was 60 almost to retirement and had a cush job of transporting prisoners....
no out on the streets chasing bad guys stuff, just straight routine

and in addition to that the punk rock parent in me says
the world needs more teachers and fewer cops...
dare to dream,
I mean if you are looking to make an impact in lives, teaching is far more rewarding

^^^^^^^^ I'm with ya on this. It's weird for me to even be considering this occupation, but for some reason I'm feeling it. Teaching what I most want to do though. In the State of Ohio they will not allow ANYONE to teach at all without a bachelors of Arts degree. I will be student teaching for free in 2 semesters though if I continued this.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyfists28

^^^^^^^^ I sold beds for nearly 10 years and hated it. Good money but hated it. Once my son was born my wife and I decided since she was fine with her job and we do not have family to help with our son we thought it best that I finish College and begin a positive career.

Attempting things is exactly why I did this. I got accepted into the Sheriffs office and went through the Auxiliary Academy because I wanted to give it a chance. I like it, but it would be much better to get paid over $20.00 and hour doing it though. I htought it either Law Enforcement or Education happened first then thats what I do. Now my delema involves delaying one for the other and paying money to do so.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 09:36 PM

I want to say something. All you guys have lives and things going on in your lives. I fuckin appreciate your time helping me sort this thing out. You all are cool as fuck and well I value your opinions. ....I mean it. Thanks.

Sure I want an answer, but only I can make that decision. It's just cool to have a point of view and another perspective. When you are bogged down with everyhting and dealing with the situation, sometimes you forget what its all about and what you really want. Thanks again. This also applies to anyone who posts in the thread in the future.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 10:06 PM

I'd say stick it out and go for the BA. My wife wants to teach, but between our one year old and working in an after school program at a private school and home stuff she has a hard time doing the work... and that's with mostly online courses. Still, it's worth it. I mean, what would you rather do? Work with the lowlifes, many of whom it may be too late to head off into the criminal life and you're not really in a position to actually help them get out of crime just there to enforce the existing laws OR teach kids, get 'em on the right track early and hopefully keep them from becoming lowlifes?

Plus you've put so much time into it. I guess you gotta figure out which is your calling really... it's like Joseph Cambell said before he died, "follow your bliss."

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 10:27 PM

i couldn't leave all that time and money on the table.
i'd have to get the degree.
preferrably a BA.

Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
I need to lose at least 30- 40 pounds and make a run time of 12:25 in a mile and a half. I am now at 15:20 and my left knee is bothering me. It shouldn't be a problem when I get this weight off.

no matter what you choose, this ain't a bad idea. ;)
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 11:18 PM

I'd say go with your gut, which looks like it's going after a teaching position. Money definitely isn't everything in life and you'll be happier in the long run if you do what you know you really want. You're already on the way as well, which helps. Ultimately though this is your decision and only you can make it. Good luck to you man.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 01:11 AM

Clevo,

I think you already know the decision you should make, but you're fully aware of the sacrifice that not only you but your wife and child will have to make if you pursue it (and lot's of respect for it, since you're taking them into account with this decision).

Regarding the teacher salary, keep in mind that the 30K is a 9-month salary, so you can still work in the summer months. Also, if you're willing to take a job in the right (or should I say "wrong") area, there are programs to forgive your student loan debt.

As for doing something positive, you can look at it like this: would you rather be helping kids get their life straight and have some opportunities that most don't get, or would you rather be locking them up and making sure they never see those opportunities? That being said, I'm really not anti-cop. But cops are ideally there to help when shit has already gone bad... a teacher is ideally there to help make sure that life doesn't reach that point.

I actually have no desire to teach kids and don't really like being around kids all that much, but I'm currently tutoring part-time. It's seriously an exciting thing to see kids trying their hardest to improve themselves... I haven't seen motivation like this in a long time, and it's damn near absent from "the scene" (pick one), despite all the rhetoric about rising above the situation, self pride and self respect, etc. Too many people are content to just be drunk or drugged out losers.

The police academy does take less time, but you have to be honest with yourself about the drawbacks. You still have some weight to lose (though I agree with Murk that you should work on it either way), and age probably will be an issue when you're out looking for a job in 9 months.

Basically, it sounds like there are a lot more risks with going the police route. If it's what you really wanted to do, I might be encouraging you to go for it. But it sounds like you really want to be a teacher, and you're just worried about the extra burden you'll be putting on the family. By the time your kid is old enough to realize what's going on, you'll be in good financial shape with either job. If your wife is fine with making the sacrifices (and she's probably more OK with it than you want to admit to yourself, since you don't want to make her give up anything for you), then go for the teaching job.

PS - I still haven't forgotten about the offer on some Oi CDs. Just haven't saved anything to my hard drive yet. If you name a few albums in particular, I'll get it done sooner and will mail it out to you.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
I'd say stick it out and go for the BA. My wife wants to teach, but between our one year old and working in an after school program at a private school and home stuff she has a hard time doing the work... and that's with mostly online courses. Still, it's worth it. I mean, what would you rather do? Work with the lowlifes, many of whom it may be too late to head off into the criminal life and you're not really in a position to actually help them get out of crime just there to enforce the existing laws OR teach kids, get 'em on the right track early and hopefully keep them from becoming lowlifes?

Plus you've put so much time into it. I guess you gotta figure out which is your calling really... it's like Joseph Cambell said before he died, "follow your bliss."

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
Clevo,

I think you already know the decision you should make, but you're fully aware of the sacrifice that not only you but your wife and child will have to make if you pursue it (and lot's of respect for it, since you're taking them into account with this decision).

Regarding the teacher salary, keep in mind that the 30K is a 9-month salary, so you can still work in the summer months. Also, if you're willing to take a job in the right (or should I say "wrong") area, there are programs to forgive your student loan debt.

As for doing something positive, you can look at it like this: would you rather be helping kids get their life straight and have some opportunities that most don't get, or would you rather be locking them up and making sure they never see those opportunities? That being said, I'm really not anti-cop. But cops are ideally there to help when shit has already gone bad... a teacher is ideally there to help make sure that life doesn't reach that point.

I actually have no desire to teach kids and don't really like being around kids all that much, but I'm currently tutoring part-time. It's seriously an exciting thing to see kids trying their hardest to improve themselves... I haven't seen motivation like this in a long time, and it's damn near absent from "the scene" (pick one), despite all the rhetoric about rising above the situation, self pride and self respect, etc. Too many people are content to just be drunk or drugged out losers.

The police academy does take less time, but you have to be honest with yourself about the drawbacks. You still have some weight to lose (though I agree with Murk that you should work on it either way), and age probably will be an issue when you're out looking for a job in 9 months.

Basically, it sounds like there are a lot more risks with going the police route. If it's what you really wanted to do, I might be encouraging you to go for it. But it sounds like you really want to be a teacher, and you're just worried about the extra burden you'll be putting on the family. By the time your kid is old enough to realize what's going on, you'll be in good financial shape with either job. If your wife is fine with making the sacrifices (and she's probably more OK with it than you want to admit to yourself, since you don't want to make her give up anything for you), then go for the teaching job.

PS - I still haven't forgotten about the offer on some Oi CDs. Just haven't saved anything to my hard drive yet. If you name a few albums in particular, I'll get it done sooner and will mail it out to you.

^^^^^^^^^^ It's like poetry. Awsome.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by newbreedbrian
I'd say go with your gut, which looks like it's going after a teaching position. Money definitely isn't everything in life and you'll be happier in the long run if you do what you know you really want. You're already on the way as well, which helps. Ultimately though this is your decision and only you can make it. Good luck to you man.

^^^^^ When I think of beign a Cop. I think I am on the right track but will carry the burden after work. As a teacher I see no burden.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral

^^^^^^^^ AHHAHAHAHAAHA:P

brooklyn

Mood: HC & streetpunkrock

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 10:34 AM

tough one. But I would say first of foremost have a decent chat with your wife and see what she says. Then your heart clearly is more into the teaching than being a cop. If the financial situation for the next yaesr (college) might be a strain on the relationship (including the kid) then maybe the dream of being a teacher has to give in to hard reality that you need an income and thus the cop route as it's shorter. But then again also the world indeed needs more teachers. Good luck with this one but I feel it should be a common decision between you and your wife.

T.C.O.B.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
I have been doing the Sheriff Auxillary for for over a a year and a half. All the while continuing College to get a degree in Education grades 4-9 History and English. I still need a estimate 2 years to complete this.

I got accepted into the Police Academy last week. I start at the end of August. This lasts until April '08'. After that I still have to apply for a job with any department hiring.

Law Enforcement- I am 30. I am worried about getting a job after spending $3,700 to get into the Academy. Once I would graduate I still have no definite job. I will have to apply to all departments hiring and hope I pass the tests and they like/hire me. I will be competing with younger guys and I am not sure if departments will look down on that. The cut off for most departments are 34. the pay will average $46,000 and have shitty hours with much hazards, but i would feel good doing something helpful and rewarding for any community. I need to lose at least 30- 40 pounds and make a run time of 12:25 in a mile and a half. I am now at 15:20 and my left knee is bothering me. It shouldn't be a problem when I get this weight off.

Law Enforcement- I have been in the Auxiliary for a while and know many people within the Sheriffs Department. I have much of the same training you get in the real academy which means I could possibly do very well in the Police Academy. Also in the perfect world I would be picked up when I graduate witht he Sheriffs Department I already work for. However there is no gurantees and they are possibly laying off because of lack of funds and taxes. So that is a crap shoot.

I know a few people who got jobs here with the police in their mid 30s. The guy across the street tried for over 5 years to get hired and finally did a few years ago pushing 35. I don't know that finding a job would be that hard, they are always looking for police somewhere. Hell the police in South Australia are openly recruiting cops from the UK to fill their massive shortage & advertise like crazy for more recruits. It all depends on the area I suppose.

Since you are already an auxiliary and know a lot of the staff, you already have great experience and character references, people who can vouch for the work you do so with these guys standing up for you getting a job may be easier than the 25 year old coming out of the academy, you are better prepared for the job than they are.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top