Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A real life decision I need to make.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike
Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
I have been doing the Sheriff Auxillary for for over a a year and a half. All the while continuing College to get a degree in Education grades 4-9 History and English. I still need a estimate 2 years to complete this.

I got accepted into the Police Academy last week. I start at the end of August. This lasts until April '08'. After that I still have to apply for a job with any department hiring.

Law Enforcement- I am 30. I am worried about getting a job after spending $3,700 to get into the Academy. Once I would graduate I still have no definite job. I will have to apply to all departments hiring and hope I pass the tests and they like/hire me. I will be competing with younger guys and I am not sure if departments will look down on that. The cut off for most departments are 34. the pay will average $46,000 and have shitty hours with much hazards, but i would feel good doing something helpful and rewarding for any community. I need to lose at least 30- 40 pounds and make a run time of 12:25 in a mile and a half. I am now at 15:20 and my left knee is bothering me. It shouldn't be a problem when I get this weight off.

Law Enforcement- I have been in the Auxiliary for a while and know many people within the Sheriffs Department. I have much of the same training you get in the real academy which means I could possibly do very well in the Police Academy. Also in the perfect world I would be picked up when I graduate witht he Sheriffs Department I already work for. However there is no gurantees and they are possibly laying off because of lack of funds and taxes. So that is a crap shoot.

I know a few people who got jobs here with the police in their mid 30s. The guy across the street tried for over 5 years to get hired and finally did a few years ago pushing 35. I don't know that finding a job would be that hard, they are always looking for police somewhere. Hell the police in South Australia are openly recruiting cops from the UK to fill their massive shortage & advertise like crazy for more recruits. It all depends on the area I suppose.

Since you are already an auxiliary and know a lot of the staff, you already have great experience and character references, people who can vouch for the work you do so with these guys standing up for you getting a job may be easier than the 25 year old coming out of the academy, you are better prepared for the job than they are.

^^^^^^^ This si true. Also the open ernollment thing is going on in ARIZONA too. They need people bad out there.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 02:20 PM

Yeah all depends how far you are willing to move to get a sweet job with decent pay & your wife can still exist with her line of work at a comparable salary I imagine.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 02:22 PM

I'd be down to live in Az. See some NSK shows.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 08:25 PM

Slayer + SOIA + every other band I love couldn't convince me to move to the Arizona heat I imagine lol.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
I'd be down to live in Az.

u like heat? :cool:

it ain't that bad since the humidity is low. if you're not in direct sunlight, it's just warm. "winter" is perfect.

i lived in Tempe/Phoenix for 9 months and loved it. cool city, lots to do, lots of places to go, lots of satelite cities. San Diego, LA and Vegas are all 6hrs driving and 90 minutes flying. i can personally vouch for this place:

http://www.chebahut.com/menu.php

monsoon season ain't that great, but that don't last long and the experience of 95-100 degree temperatures at midnight and beyond is kinda wild. on the hotter days, i was always tempted to crack an egg or put a hot dog on the side walk, but never did.

if there's any chance of you becoming a police officer in the Phoenix area and you don't understand/speak Spanish, start learning, seriously.
godabandonedme

Mood: Darkbuster

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 03:13 PM

Being a cop has pretty much drove me nuts. I like it though. Don't be disillusioned(sp?) by thinking about that whole "make a difference" thing, maybe a small town suburbia cop, but definitlly not here anyway. Last night I was chasing some toad threw a shit strewn germantown alleyway as fast as I could and got fucking clotheslined by some vine or cable line or something, it probablly looked hilarious, except I hit my head and lost about 4 or 5 minutes there. That was only after dealing with a shooting at 27th and Clearfield, and putting some stick time in at 33rd and Alleygheny cause some shitbag wanted to spit boo's at a friend of mine. I think I'm taking tonight off, I'm sore and tired. Blah. Honestly, theres no better job then this, it's fun, you get paid to drive like a maniac, and kick people in the face. Sure, there's alot of downsides, but hey what can you do? 4 guys in 2 years have been shot in my district (39th) alone. My friend Mike was shot point blank in the face over a stolen car. I don't really have a point, go for a ride along with the local larger city pd and get to know some of those guys to see how it really is. Teaching's cool too. Whatever you really think is best, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Although whats with paying for the academy? Are you talking about that stuff on TV? You don't need that, the local pd has to send you to an academy anyway.

\"Leave the gun....take the canolis.\"
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 03:49 PM

In my area you need to pay for the Academy to show your desire to be a Officer. The departments do not want to pay for you to go becasue they claim no money from voters and taxpayers. Plus not many people are retiring around here. So they are not hurting to people. IF you test in my area you are competing with about 100 people each test. Some cities are more. And when a city actually does a test you are lucky if they are hiring 2 or 3 people from it. Most departments test and hire once a year. On average 2 people.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 07:04 PM

I'm going to the Academy. I am doing this.

Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by godabandonedme
Last night I was chasing some toad threw a shit strewn germantown alleyway as fast as I could and got fucking clotheslined by some vine or cable line or something, it probablly looked hilarious, except I hit my head and lost about 4 or 5 minutes there.

damn. when you say "lost", do you mean you were out or that it took 4-5 minutes to get going again after whackin' your head?
godabandonedme

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 08:13 PM

I saw a flash of light, popped up, realized I was in an alleyway with a police uniform - checked and made sure my gun was there, looked up and toad was still running.......put 2 and 2 together and got back to work.....only I lost the time from when I got up and for a few minutes more. I woke up (yesterday after I posted that) and was throwing up so I think I got banged up a little bit but that's life. *Apparentlly my sgt. gave me a ride home cause I was mumbling some nonsene about god knows what. Either way, I got the night off, got drunk (maybe a little easier then normal (?) ), and had to go home and argue with my girlfriend about how much of a piece of shit I am. So, answers to both of your questions???? 1. Lost = yes NOW I realized I got knocked the fuck out. 2. Save yourself the trouble and become a teacher............ ;)

godabandonedme

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 08:25 PM

Still kinda foggy with everything.....No for the last few days I have LOST those 4 or so minutes. What I typed was mostly told to me about what happened. (SIDE NOTE) Before I crushed my phone on the bar last night cause I was pissed and drunk and still out of it, I got a hilarious little phone call from a guy I know in the AirTac unit (PD Helicopter). Apparently after I took my little spill they came over saying "we saw the male trying to hide in the alley under the bushes" and I came over the air saying "3922, thanks airtac 1 but that was probablly me you saw getting fucking clotheslined....." and then they qued up their mics and just laughed.....fuckers............................

Be a teacher. Sorry I got off the subject.

XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 08:43 PM

after reading only your first post.... I go with the Teacher, but thats just my personal preferance.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top